Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #1

Ukulele
Lens: 35mm macro Camera: Pentax kx 

After a lot of umming and ahhing and then having a final big blow out argument with myself today, I've decided to change my entry at the eleventh hour.

I am a Pentax fiend, but one of my cameras is not a Pentax. It's a pinhole camera I made myself from an 8" square cardboard box, a lot of card, paint, tape and glue, and a homemade pinhole. I call her Button because of the buttons I've sewn into her sides to keep her lid and lens cap in place.

She takes 5"x7" photographic paper to capture the image, and has two settings for the paper negative. The paper can sit flat at the back of the camera or half way down the camera for a wider angle setting.

I develop the paper negatives at home and then do a contact print. But before I make prints, I like to see what they will look like and to get such a digital image, I photograph the paper negative and invert it in photoshop. I then crop it and get rid of any shadows at the corners using Lightroom (oh for a scanner!). This gives a really good idea of how a print will look before using up photographic paper. This image is one such inversion (rather than a scan of a contact print).

I love Button and she is certainly testament to what detail can be captured with no lens at all and no viewfinder. The exposure is guesswork (this was 32 1/2 minutes indoors), the framing is guesswork... This picture has inspired me to try out a lot more ideas since, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Pixietoria; 05-21-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I wanted to change my submission to a different photograph.
05-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not seeing any pic here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I see two photos now.
05-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I deleted for you.

05-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, for deleting... think I've worked it out now...

Last edited by Pixietoria; 05-10-2014 at 03:52 PM.
05-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! It looks good now.
05-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

I nominate this photograph. I really like the structure of the image combined with how it was achieved. A one-byte process producing a megabyte result. The consequence of merging low-tech with mental power.

06-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you!