Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perth Skyline by Night
Lens: Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 HSM (OS) Camera: Pentax K20D 

Photostich of two 29mm images @ 10 second exposure, f13, ISO400

The Perth skyline as viewed from Kings Park is still the epitomy of the unattainable image for me. It's always years between visits to Perth from my home in the eastern states and although the images get better, they're never quite what I'm after. There doesn't seem to be a way of composing the image without breaking the basic rules of composition or ending up with negative space. There are a range of colour castes thrown by sodium arc, flourescent and halogen lighting. There are also plenty of darks, lights, roads, water, bushland and details to be balanced.

I posted my last 'murky' attempt on the critique forum some time ago and received some good advice which I duly took on board, including investing in LR5. I recently had the chance to return to Perth and had a single evening available to put some of the advice into practice. No tripod again (airline baggage limitation), but unlike the last attempt, I was able to find a rock solid base for the camera to use the remote switch to capture the 'blue hour'.

This image has been processed in LR5 to adjust the WB of the different lighting sources and work was done to balance the lights and darks. Some mild sharpness and noise corrections were also made. The trees brightened up well but the K20D is just too noisy, so negative space has been left in. Stitching was done with autostitch.

The reason I've chosen this one as an entry is because it took just about everything I've learnt from this forumover the years to create it. No where near the best I've seen of Perth, but the best that I can do right now. In a couple of more years, I might have another chance to better it again; who knows?

Full size image on this link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/96116430@N04/13981179957/

Attached Images

05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I looked through flickr and yours is better than many of the others. You did lose quite a bit of detail with the noise. Of the ones on flickr, I think I prefer the shots out over the water rather than the ones from the park. Have you tried any from that vantage?
05-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I couldn't get out to the south bank for the over water shots. I had to hand the hire car back that afternoon so Kings Park was the only area accessible by foot in the time I had left. In real life the south bank views aren't a scratch on Kings Park, but I agree the images turn out better with the water reflections. Thanks for the feedback.