Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #1

Spikey Flower Art

Hi ,
I'm Jonathan ... I mostly photo dogs and horses though I like to play with allsorts including macro and landscapes
I'm a Nikon user , but had a Pentax SLR years ago and had the opportunity to try the K5 II on a landscape masterclass last year ... I loved the feel of it and the few photo's ( especially the macro's ) I took I was impressed with but sadly it kept malfunctioning and wouldn't operate consistently. it hasn't put me off buying though and I'll certainly consider the Pentax when its time for a change
Some of you may already know me from the Amateur Photographer forum, and I also post on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/46376168@N04/
I hope you like my entry for the competition - spiky flower art I was going to post
but I didn't want to upset the arachnophobes as it looks very spidery
Anyway , nice to meet you all
Jonathan

05-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello Jonathan !
Nice to meet your too. I appreciate your effort in taking this shot - but unfortunately I feel it is oddly cropped for a macro/ close up shot. There is way too much color fringing in the background and the background itself is very distracting and unpleasant to look at..The subject therefore is getting lost somehow - not to mention that the angle you have take this shot at is quite straight forward so it's not showing anything special. Also there is also that purplish tint to parts of a photo - I got the feeling that the lens was either malfunctioning or perhaps used at sub-optimal aperture ?
The subject has the potential to make a superb shot - I would certainly explore this area but I would strongly advise you to either rework this shot in post processing and / or change it altogether and use something from your (I am sure of it ) great shots of either horses or dogs - plenty of horse and dogs lovers will be more than happy to nominate your shot ishould you upload something from these areas .
Hopefully my critique doesn't get to you too personal - just would like to see such a nice guy like yourself doing well in the contest
Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->
05-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Hello Jonathan !
Nice to meet your too. I appreciate your effort in taking this shot - but unfortunately I feel it is oddly cropped for a macro/ close up shot. There is way too much color fringing in the background and the background itself is very distracting and unpleasant to look at..The subject therefore is getting lost somehow - not to mention that the angle you have take this shot at is quite straight forward so it's not showing anything special. Also there is also that purplish tint to parts of a photo - I got the feeling that the lens was either malfunctioning or perhaps used at sub-optimal aperture ?
The subject has the potential to make a superb shot - I would certainly explore this area but I would strongly advise you to either rework this shot in post processing and / or change it altogether and use something from your (I am sure of it ) great shots of either horses or dogs - plenty of horse and dogs lovers will be more than happy to nominate your shot ishould you upload something from these areas .
Hopefully my critique doesn't get to you too personal - just would like to see such a nice guy like yourself doing well in the contest
Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->
Hi manntax cheers
The one I put in the comp is a bit easier on the eye ... though still spiky flowers
I cropped the shot above to bring out the eeriness and the spidery feel rather than bothering too much about the technical aspects - I just wanted it to look creepy Don't worry about critique ... I never get offended , I always try to see anothers point of view I'd meant this post to be in introductions , but it seems to have been moved to the contest page
I will get around to buying a dedicated macro lens when I have the cash as the Sigma 70-300 does struggle a bit but its just a useful all-round lens
I'll be adding this forum to my haunts alongside Flickr and AP so you'll certainly see a variety from me
05-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mmab Quote
Hi manntax cheers The one I put in the comp is a bit easier on the eye ... though still spiky flowers I cropped the shot above to bring out the eeriness and the spidery feel rather than bothering too much about the technical aspects - I just wanted it to look creepy Don't worry about critique ... I never get offended , I always try to see anothers point of view I'd meant this post to be in introductions , but it seems to have been moved to the contest page I will get around to buying a dedicated macro lens when I have the cash as the Sigma 70-300 does struggle a bit but its just a useful all-round lens I'll be adding this forum to my haunts alongside Flickr and AP so you'll certainly see a variety from me
I am glad you took my critique positively ! Despite the fact that you didn't actually mean to submit this for the contest - I still would advise to replace the image with something that would have more chances - you never know and might qualify to the second round !
About macro - I would suggest you to get one of those fantastic 50mm Pentax primes ( like 50mm f1.8 ) and some cheap extension tube - or even mount it reversed - they make a tremendous macro lenses ! And on Nikon you don't even need any extensions - just glassless adapter will do since all Pentax lenses by default allow only macro mode - unless optically corrected.

Looking forward to seeing your contest submission soon - I just had a look at that flckr page - an impressive collection of amazing shots there !!

>>-manntax-->

05-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am glad you took my critique positively ! Despite the fact that you didn't actually mean to submit this for the contest - I still would advise to replace the image with something that would have more chances - you never know and might qualify to the second round !
About macro - I would suggest you to get one of those fantastic 50mm Pentax primes ( like 50mm f1.8 ) and some cheap extension tube - or even mount it reversed - they make a tremendous macro lenses ! And on Nikon you don't even need any extensions - just glassless adapter will do since all Pentax lenses by default allow only macro mode - unless optically corrected.

Looking forward to seeing your contest submission soon - I just had a look at that flckr page - an impressive collection of amazing shots there !!

>>-manntax-->
I've uploaded the blue spiky one to the contest gallery : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/174-pentax-k-3-photo-contest/261630-abstr...lower-art.html which I like more , it does have it's faults but it's meant to be more artistic .
I've been playing around with M42 glass and reversing rings , extension tubes etc rather than a dedicated macro lens and have had some fairly nice results . Now we're getting to summer hopefully I'll have plenty of chance to get out and play
This spider pic : https://www.flickr.com/photos/46376168@N04/9982378675/sizes/l was taken with a reversed lens , but I struggled to get close enough due to the hedge so had to go hand held - I've now got one of the Giottos tripods with the central shaft that will go horizontal so it should make it much easier to set shots up
05-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've uploaded the blue spiky one to the contest gallery : Spiky flower art which I like more , it does have it's faults but it's meant to be more artistic . I've been playing around with M42 glass and reversing rings , extension tubes etc rather than a dedicated macro lens and have had some fairly nice results . Now we're getting to summer hopefully I'll have plenty of chance to get out and play This spider pic : https://www.flickr.com/photos/463761...378675/sizes/l was taken with a reversed lens , but I struggled to get close enough due to the hedge so had to go hand held - I've now got one of the Giottos tripods with the central shaft that will go horizontal so it should make it much easier to set shots up Report Post Like mmab's Post
I think you should contact the moderator to remove this thread then and put it into proper place as there are not allowed multiple submissions for the contests. I looked at your contest spiky photo and I don't really like it either. The shot you submitted is slightly out of focus ( probably tiny camera shake ) and also crop is weird makes it too tight for a nice close up to look at and too wide for an abstract.

You have many fabulous photos in your flicks account - you surely can submit of them from that great selection of awesome shots

>>-manntax-->
05-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
I think you should contact the moderator to remove this thread then and put it into proper place as there are not allowed multiple submissions for the contests. I looked at your contest spiky photo and I don't really like it either. The shot you submitted is slightly out of focus ( probably tiny camera shake ) and also crop is weird makes it too tight for a nice close up to look at and too wide for an abstract.

You have many fabulous photos in your flicks account - you surely can submit of them from that great selection of awesome shots

>>-manntax-->
Cheers been a bit busy but I've just sent a message to the mods Planning on getting out and about with the camera in the next few days and see if I can find anything interesting to shoot I also have a Ricoh 7.1 megapixel compact I might start carrying for the Pentax / Ricoh only competitions - only drawback with it is it eats the batteries quicker than I can buy them
05-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Cheers been a bit busy but I've just sent a message to the mods Planning on getting out and about with the camera in the next few days and see if I can find anything interesting to shoot I also have a Ricoh 7.1 megapixel compact I might start carrying for the Pentax / Ricoh only competitions - only drawback with it is it eats the batteries quicker than I can buy them
Hey - you don't have to use your old Ricoh camera to take something for the ocmpetition. Your shots from *ANY* camera will qualify so feel free to change your entry to whatever old or new you can think of from your rich collection of shots Good luck!

>>-manntax-->

05-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hey - you don't have to use your old Ricoh camera to take something for the ocmpetition. Your shots from *ANY* camera will qualify so feel free to change your entry to whatever old or new you can think of from your rich collection of shots Good luck!

>>-manntax-->
Some of the comps state Pentax / Ricoh only ... though the main comp states any camera
I contacted admin about the spiky flower threads and they sent me a link to contact admin - which I've now done , so I'll wait for their response
Hope you had a great weekend ... nice to see some sun , though its been too glary and too many shadows to get any nice shots around here had my collapsible reflector out trying to bounce some light to remove shadows but only succeeded in blinding myself and getting some mediocre shots !
05-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Some of the comps state Pentax / Ricoh only ... though the main comp states any camera I contacted admin about the spiky flower threads and they sent me a link to contact admin - which I've now done , so I'll wait for their response Hope you had a great weekend ... nice to see some sun , though its been too glary and too many shadows to get any nice shots around here had my collapsible reflector out trying to bounce some light to remove shadows but only succeeded in blinding myself and getting some mediocre shots !
As far as I remember there was a similar question asked and answered that any camera - also a mobile phone - will do. Furthermore - if you go and browse the contest entries ( which I advise you to do as well as comment on those you like - since it's increasing the chances of having your photo better exposed to the public ) - you will see that many of entries are taken with non-Pentax cameras.

Yeah I had a very good weekend, thanks ! I went out with my two boys and we played with cameras a bit. I agree the sunshine is nice but the quality of light is very poor indeed during the day - only mornings and late afternoons gives more pleasant results. I think I need to get on of those reflectors myself for this Summer outings - if we get more of these sunny days it might be an indispensable accessory to take any decent shot during the day.
' >' manntax