Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mount Kosciusko
Lens: DA 18-135mm Camera: Pentax K-30 

Ok since my previous entry got no comments I deleted it and thought I'd upload this. Because of the different time zones people don't see my posts when I post them usually, so that would be an extra reason for people not commenting.

Anyway, here is a scene on the way to Australia's highest mountain - Mt Kosciusko. On our latest camping trip we went hiking up there and the K-30 and DA 18-135mm combo was perfect. Lots of great shots from the trip. This particular shot shows the path (there's a split because one part when to a viewpoint) and the mountainside. It's a lovely walk.

Last edited by ausmoose; 05-14-2014 at 10:52 PM.
05-13-2014, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a regular commenter on here, but seeing as you got not feedback last time, I can at least beat that by one. : )

I like the use of the leading line and the fact that 'our highest mountain' has no snow on it. The image is well exposed but this gives a deceptively warm look to what is likely to be a rather chilly location at the moment. Not a bad thing mind, as it might stimulate some interest from those in the northern climes with real mountains and stuff.

Anyhoo, I hope you had a great walk, I look forward to more images from your expedition and hopefully I'm just the first of many to drop in.

Tas
05-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I'm not a regular commenter on here, but seeing as you got not feedback last time, I can at least beat that by one. : )

I like the use of the leading line and the fact that 'our highest mountain' has no snow on it. The image is well exposed but this gives a deceptively warm look to what is likely to be a rather chilly location at the moment. Not a bad thing mind, as it might stimulate some interest from those in the northern climes with real mountains and stuff.

Anyhoo, I hope you had a great walk, I look forward to more images from your expedition and hopefully I'm just the first of many to drop in.

Tas
Thanks Tas! I think some years the mountain does have snow on it at this time of year (this isn't the peak shown in this photo) - it was still rather chilly at the top though!
05-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When I see your photo I see at least 4 photographs potentially arousing from the location you were at - but your photo is none of those. Your description mentions that it is the highest mountain of Australlia - does the viewer get that impression from your photo ? No unfortunately, not even a slight impression that we see a mountain to be honest.. It could have been well photographed in a quarry or from a hill outside the town. You see where am going with this by now...Then what we do see are some interesting rock formations - but sadly they are too far and oddly composed so are not standing out really - and finally we got this interesting pattern of stairs going into and across the frame - but again the angle of view and the composition doesn't make the best out of it. So I would say the location might have been a very interesting and intriguing one but the viewer doesn't get that from this photo.
The processing could improve it a bit - but I got the feeling that you would do better with a photo that either shows something that is mentioned in the description or tells some story perhaps.
Hopefully my critique didn't come too harsh but I simple wanted to be honest and give you some insight in how the image might be perceived.
Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->

Last edited by manntax; 05-14-2014 at 02:31 AM.
05-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If possible, I'd make the stairs central in the frame, and get lower to the ground, making them directly leading to the mountain. This would have drawn the viewer into the picture, and made the ridge look much higher.
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
If possible, I'd make the stairs central in the frame, and get lower to the ground, making them directly leading to the mountain. This would have drawn the viewer into the picture, and made the ridge look much higher.
Thanks for your comment - it's a bit late now though! The people I was with aren't that into photography so didn't want to wait for me to take photos - hence I didn't have much time to decide on compositions.

---------- Post added 05-15-14 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
When I see your photo I see at least 4 photographs potentially arousing from the location you were at - but your photo is none of those. Your description mentions that it is the highest mountain of Australlia - does the viewer get that impression from your photo ? No unfortunately, not even a slight impression that we see a mountain to be honest.. It could have been well photographed in a quarry or from a hill outside the town. You see where am going with this by now...Then what we do see are some interesting rock formations - but sadly they are too far and oddly composed so are not standing out really - and finally we got this interesting pattern of stairs going into and across the frame - but again the angle of view and the composition doesn't make the best out of it. So I would say the location might have been a very interesting and intriguing one but the viewer doesn't get that from this photo.
The processing could improve it a bit - but I got the feeling that you would do better with a photo that either shows something that is mentioned in the description or tells some story perhaps.
Hopefully my critique didn't come too harsh but I simple wanted to be honest and give you some insight in how the image might be perceived.
Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->
Thanks for your response. I've edited the description of the image now - this isn't actually the highest mountain - rather a scene from on the way. The mountain isn't what you expect - a typical mountain in the middle of nowhere - rather it's in the middle of a range so the whole area is high and you certainly can't capture it from anywhere other than on the hike. Like I said in my reply to robgski, I didn't have much time to compose my photos so didn't think of anything amazing for this shot. I just liked the shot, even if I could have done a lot better, because it captured the essence of the walk to the mountain. I'm fairly new to photography (6 months) and landscapes are not my strong point so I'm just trying to improve and appreciate your feedback - hopefully I'll be able to take a much better landscape shot soon. I just posted this as my photo for the challenge as nothing I've taken is going to be a winner and I liked this photo.
05-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Thanks for your response. I've edited the description of the image now - this isn't actually the highest mountain - rather a scene from on the way. The mountain isn't what you expect - a typical mountain in the middle of nowhere - rather it's in the middle of a range so the whole area is high and you certainly can't capture it from anywhere other than on the hike. Like I said in my reply to robgski, I didn't have much time to compose my photos so didn't think of anything amazing for this shot. I just liked the shot, even if I could have done a lot better, because it captured the essence of the walk to the mountain. I'm fairly new to photography (6 months) and landscapes are not my strong point so I'm just trying to improve and appreciate your feedback - hopefully I'll be able to take a much better landscape shot soon. I just posted this as my photo for the challenge as nothing I've taken is going to be a winner and I liked this photo.
I have no doubt that this was a fantastic hike! I wrote my comment after seeing that you had ' Lots of great shots from the trip' - so I thought it would be good to let you know how the potential viewer might be seeing this photo. Remember - we weren't there ! So in our heads there is no direct association with the place and nice moments we have from there - so photo has a job to do : making the viewer believe - or feel if you will - either the place or the subject. And I think it would make sense to revisit all your other photos and look at them as someone who has never been to the place. I often browse my own galleries just to see if I find something that has this strong appeal to a potential viewer - after my own memories of a place or situation has faded I usually can look at the photo more objectively.
Best of luck !

>>-manntax-->

05-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I have no doubt that this was a fantastic hike! I wrote my comment after seeing that you had ' Lots of great shots from the trip' - so I thought it would be good to let you know how the potential viewer might be seeing this photo. Remember - we weren't there ! So in our heads there is no direct association with the place and nice moments we have from there - so photo has a job to do : making the viewer believe - or feel if you will - either the place or the subject. And I think it would make sense to revisit all your other photos and look at them as someone who has never been to the place. I often browse my own galleries just to see if I find something that has this strong appeal to a potential viewer - after my own memories of a place or situation has faded I usually can look at the photo more objectively.
Best of luck !

>>-manntax-->
Thanks for the reply. I guess I better re-look at my photos - none were amazing but maybe I have some that better captured the hike. Not that I can repost for the contest, but I know I wouldn't win anyway.
05-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Thanks for the reply. I guess I better re-look at my photos - none were amazing but maybe I have some that better captured the hike. Not that I can repost for the contest, but I know I wouldn't win anyway.
I think you can and you should repost. Make sure you apply the post-processing accordingly to make your intentional subject stand out. It is not about winning now - it is about qualifying to the second round - then you will get a thematic challenge which eventually will emerge the group of finalists. Good luck !

>>-manntax-->