Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Hungry and confused
Lens: 50mm Camera: Sony RX100 

My wife and I traveled to Bali (Indonesia) last June. One of the main attractions there is Monkey Forest, located in the city of Ubud. Looking back, I wish we had read more about the chaos that is Monkey Forest. To maintain it's tourist status, Ubud hires locals to feed wild monkeys and look after them. We arrived in the forest in the afternoon and witnessed what appeared to be a monkey petting zoo. The locals would feed the monkeys, then place them on shoulders of unsuspecting tourists! Most of the time the monkeys and the tourists behaved as predicted. Other times, someone got startled and ran away or made shrieking noises. And by someone I mean mostly female tourists. What you see below, though, is one of those rare startled monkeys.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100  Photo 

Last edited by rmtschanz; 05-13-2014 at 10:24 PM.
05-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I nominate this photo. Not for the image, but for the story. It's basicly what we do almost all over the world, making a circus for tourists to generate money.
05-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the nomination! Though, in my biased opinion, I love the picture too For anyone who hasn't seen a macaque monkey, that is not their normal expression.
06-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Animals are placed in untenable situations in service of the entertainment of fools. Making money out of corrupting a species is criminal and we need to stop it. Thanks for the image and the perspective via the introduction.