Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #1

Alpine chough in flight
Lens: DA18-55WR Camera: Pentax K5II 

I had a vacation in Italy with my friends, and when we took a rest after skiing, we noticed that the place was swarmed by "chipsthirsty" alpine choughs (Pyrrhocorax graculus), so I tried to shoot one during his/her flyby. The only lens I had with me was the kit zoom lens, so I zoomed in as much I could to have the furthest reach. I really like how it came out, the primary feathers are clearly visible, and the dynamics of flight is captured as well along with the snowy, rocky background, the bird's natural habitat.

By the way it is a cute/friendly/intelligent little bird in the crow family, with funny voice, that you can check from this video:
(this is not my recording, just a youtube search).

Used equipment:
Pentax K5II + DA18-55WR @ 55mm, f8, ISO200 and exposure time: 1/2000s

Post-production:
I intentionally underexposed a bit to freeze the action as much as possible, and to control the highlights of the snowy tops of mountains, so when I corrected to the level where I wanted in PP, I added a gradient to the bring back the deep blues of the sky. I also added a bit contrast with curves.

« Rose | Newhaven »