Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Milky Way Over Abo Unit, Salinas Pueblo Mission National Monument
Lens: Pentax DA 10-17mm Camera: Pentax K3 

This is a composite image. I put the camera on a tripod and shot the foreground image about 30 minutes after sunset, at 25 seconds, ISO 100, f/4.5 at 10mm. The light is from residual sunlight and an 18% moon. I kept the camera on the tripod and shot through the night, capturing the rise of the Milky Way about 6 hours after sunset and 2 hours after moonset. The settings were 30 seconds, ISO 6400, f/4 at 10mm. I adjusted for contrast and noise and composited the two images in Photoshop.

The Abo Unit of the Salinas Pueblo Mission National Monument was built on a site settled by Spanish missionaries. The site was settled in 1581 and construction began in 1622. Construction was completed in phases and the final structure was completed in 1658. In 1673, the site was abandoned due to drought, famine, and continuous raids by Apache war parties. The site is about 50 miles (as the crow flies) from the nearest densely populated area and the light discipline is fantastic for night shooting.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think this shot has something in it - especially the night sky looks impressive ! I also like the composite - it turned to be very good in my opinion - it could perhaps use some extra fine tuning in post processing. The only real criticisms I have is about these runins not being straight - honestly these vertical lines could have been streightent by rotating the foreground and that building by tiny fraction anticlockwise,.. appart from that a pretty good shot and you've gone some extra miles ( literally as well !) to take it - here is my nomination and thanks for sharing!
' >' manntax
05-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

I nominate this photo. The composition adds to the surrealism of this breathtaking photo. I actually like that the ruins are not perfectly straight. You have clearly worked hard for this one and it is executed very well.
06-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #4

Nominated for great patience the photographer put into it.

06-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #5

Somethin old, something very old. I really enjoy the setting and composition. The exposure was long enough to bring out the grass and it's green and the stars, yet not introduce a great deal of long exposure artifacts. This is a good work, I'd hang it on my wall! Good job!
06-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #6

I nominate this photo....a lovely image and the hard work and patience definitely deserve the nomination!
06-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nominated because I love the elements and composition. Lots of work there, and great execution.