Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Townes, darkness
Lens: EBC Fujinon 28/3.5 Camera: Fujica ST-801 

I decided to go back 37 years for this photograph as a submission in the K-3 contest.

I made this image of Townes Van Zandt on the evening of March 11, 1977 at The Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, North Carolina when I was 20 years old. Three of us sat at a table in the front, stage right; I had one roll of Tri-X (which I probably pushed at least one stop) in my Fujica ST-801 along with three EBC Fujinons, including the 28/3.5 with which I captured this image. I got some nice ones with my 55 and 100, but over the years this image has become my favorite from that night.

I scanned the negative with my Nikon Coolscan V and edited it in Lightroom 5.

Attached Images

Last edited by grey goat; 05-29-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added the S in years; resized image per Adam's tips. . . .
05-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

WOW
It is hard for me to know if your backstory influenced me too much
but I am a huge fan of properly exposed live music shots & I think
this is sublime....and extra props for going back in the time machine~

Nominated
05-29-2014, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, CeciProAm!

These days live music at a local venue (the Shitty Barn in Spring Green, WI) is one of my most frequent subjects--though now I use my K-5 and a slew of mostly manual-focus Pentax lenses. I should work the EBC Fujinons into the mix, too. . . .

Good luck!
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
WOW
It is hard for me to know if your backstory influenced me too much
but I am a huge fan of properly exposed live music shots & I think
this is sublime....and extra props for going back in the time machine~

Nominated
06-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
hqa

I nominate this photo. Beautiful capture of silhouette and shadows, and great composition. I love the film grain too.

06-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, hqa. If nothing else, it's grainy!

As for the composition, it's been cropped only enough to get the aspect ratio to 3:2. We really were in the perfect spot for photos. (And recording, too: I taped it, with Townes' blessing, on my Sony TC-110.)

Thanks for the nomination and the kind words.

Nath
QuoteOriginally posted by hqa Quote
I nominate this photo. Beautiful capture of silhouette and shadows, and great composition. I love the film grain too.
06-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Great shot, and you are lucky to have seen Townes at his peak. I would definitely have this hanging in my house.
06-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Bunch.

Yes, I was lucky. I got to see him the next week at the Gryphon in Carrboro, NC, and at least four times after that. The last time was July 12, 1996 in Cheraw, SC, at which point he was very clearly not at his best. (That was a very hard concert to watch; sad, pitiful.)

Good to know there's a Townes fan in the forum!

Nath
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
Great shot, and you are lucky to have seen Townes at his peak. I would definitely have this hanging in my house.