Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 Photo Contest: Finalists Announced - Round 2 Instructions

On behalf of our judges, I'm happy to announce the winners of the first round of our K-3 photo contest, who will moving on to round 2! With the hundreds of fantastic submissions to the contest, this was a very tough decision for us to make. You can browse the winning photos in the gallery below:

K-3 Photo Contest Finalists - PentaxForums.com

Our finalists are (in no particular order):
  • jotinha
  • Alcazar
  • mattb123
  • Paul-K5
  • RonHendriks1966
  • borisd
  • Eschaton
  • rrstuff
  • HCHphotogirl
  • dtmateojr
  • Class A
  • Phil_Rose
  • K McCall
  • guadua
  • hubetek
  • ILLmatic173
  • Bondezire
  • Astrid
  • fuzzyfelt30
  • raybird
  • alamo443
  • c_leabeater
  • manntax
  • r_squared
  • paulh
  • kobi.
  • Darrell Raw
  • Snipes
  • Atrej
  • Stan Friedman
  • l.cole
  • keruili
  • checco
  • jnguyen
  • bakamera
  • DK77
  • candid
  • Cuongvn
  • philwhiteman
  • Gnomka
  • Dr Orloff
  • Usuqa
  • Pentor
  • Chris Buhlmann
  • dpchaigneau
  • elficologue
  • ACHEBONE
  • haaskids
  • Roadrunnerdeluxe
  • kemopop1
  • Bennie
  • cgs727
  • damianc
  • maucirano
  • cheekygeek
  • rach
  • Adinfinitum
  • Xia
  • snakebite
  • SCP
  • Harry
  • eweliyi
  • snoopoff
  • VE2CJW
  • raphaelchekroun
  • MarinaN
  • Powerstroke 7.3
  • aenigma
  • trco
  • Apapukas
  • turff
  • bossa
  • crabby
  • Koteky
  • Marselus
  • Grantsmind
  • bebeka
  • Illes
  • Runegutt123
  • marquis
  • bpv_UW
  • marzio65
  • Sliver-Surfer
  • therion
  • cachibache
  • Yank21
  • Nass
  • Migno
  • endy3
  • zilvinaz
  • Dr_who
  • clyde242
  • BonnieB
  • FranJ
  • YARADNYL
  • elpippas
  • shammy
  • AaronDS
  • vincekx
  • Chris Hewgill
  • Jordan217
  • kengoh
  • robot555
  • d.nurdin
  • marte217
  • Xilfet
  • gabeH
  • Oxygenum
  • Steve Christian
  • Radobojski
  • carrrlangas
  • s15cuz
  • chrispy
  • Rondec
  • xchomik
  • MatBloodaxe
  • catastrophe
  • GUB
  • D4rknezz
  • wallygoots
  • bert01980
  • skazija
  • bluerockjoe
  • m.ali.hamooni
  • butcher1995
  • kukosg
  • siropdecitron
  • rp_dxn
This means that it's time for round 2 of the contest to start. Round 2 will follow a format similar to our monthly photo contests, where each user will submit one photo, and they will be voted on collectively by the community. Out of the 128 finalists participating in round 2, 32 will advance to the final stage (round 3) of the contest.

Round 2 Instructions:

This is a test of photographic talent, so give it your all if you want to win a K-3!

In round 1, you were allowed to submit the best photo from your archives, and there was no set theme. For round 2, all submissions must be taken during the contest period and conform to a theme you pick from among the choices below. You can still use any camera. The photo must be your original work.

Set A: red, blue, green, orange, purple, yellow, dark, light, dry, wet, clear, sharp, obscure, vivid, perfect, smooth, angled, curved, hot, cold, warm, powerful, weak, innocent, high-key, muted, natural, tough, mild, fast, slow
Set B: reflections, symmetry, blur, shapes, stars, shadows, repetition, silhouettes, motion, seasons, times, emotions, ghosts, places, objects

Here's what to do:
  1. Pick one word from set A, and one word from set B. Combine them; this will be your personal theme (i.e. blue reflections, obscure shadows, tough times, etc.)
  2. Take a photo for round 2 of the contest matching the theme, and process it as you see fit (again, your photo MUST be taken between June 4th and July 5th)
  3. Post your photo and the theme you picked in a new thread in this forum by July 5th; don't replace your original photo
    • Feel free to include a few sentences explaining how you interpreted the theme and/or went about capturing the shot
On July 6th, a voting thread will be posted, and 32 of the 128 participants will be one step closer to winning a K-3. The final round of the contest will follow a single-elimination format.

If you have any questions, please them post in this thread. Good luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #2

Could you clarify the rules regarding how much processing is allowed, please? Is it anything goes or is there a limit?
06-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #3

Delighted, thank you! Can you say how many entries there were in round 1? Steve Christian.
06-04-2014, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyfelt30 Quote
Could you clarify the rules regarding how much processing is allowed, please? Is it anything goes or is there a limit?
There are no rules on this. As long as you shoot the photo between now and the round 2 deadline, and as long as it fits a valid theme as per the list above, you're good to go.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Christian Quote
Delighted, thank you! Can you say how many entries there were in round 1? Steve Christian.
Almost 2500!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Set A: red, blue, green, orange, purple, yellow, dark, light, dry, wet, clear, sharp, obscure, vivid, perfect, smooth, angled, curved, hot, cold, warm, powerful, weak, innocent, high-key, muted, natural, tough, mild, fast, slow Set B: reflections, symmetry, blur, shapes, stars, shadows, repetition, silhouettes, motion, seasons, times, emotions, ghosts, places, objects Here's what to do: Pick one word from set A, and one word from set B. Combine them; this will be your personal theme (i.e. blue reflections, obscure shadows, tough times, etc.) Take a photo for round 2 of the contest matching the theme (again, your photo MUST be taken between June 4th and July 5th) Post your photo and the theme you picked in a new thread in this forum by July 5th; don't replace your original photo Feel free to include a few sentences explaining how you interpreted the theme and/or went about capturing the shot On July 6th, a voting thread will be posted, and 32 of the 128 participants will be one step closer to winning a K-3. The final round of the contest will follow a single-elimination format.
Congratulation Adam ! A really compelling and fun idea for the round 2 !! I will gladly participate and give my best ! - Can you clarify about the postprocessing allowed as well as where exactly to post a new photo ? Do we need to somehow specify that this is a photo submission for the round 2 ?
Thanks again for giving me the chance to participate in this fun event !
'>' manntax

Last edited by manntax; 06-04-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: The answer came in the post above while I was writing :)
06-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Congratulation Adam ! A really compelling and fun idea for the round 2 !! I will gladly participate and give my best ! - Can you clarify about the postprocessing allowed as well as where exactly to post a new photo ? Do we need to somehow specify that this is a photo submission for the round 2 ?
Thanks again for giving me the chance to participate in this fun event !
'>' manntax
You don't need to specify anything, as we'll know it by the fact that the thread was started after 6/4. Any PP is allowed.

Adam

06-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So the voting starts one month from now. So there's no benefit in posting pictures earlier. Right?

06-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bebeka Quote
So the voting starts one month from now. So there's no benefit in posting pictures earlier. Right?
Not at all, though I'd expect most users to take at least a week or two to pick a theme and shoot their photo.

Adam

06-04-2014, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for selecting me Adam, I can't believe I made the 2nd round. I'll be putting my head in a vice to squeeze out any creativity I can for this one.

A great concept and a worthy prize.

Cheers
Steve
06-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not at all, though I'd expect most users to take at least a week or two to pick a theme and shoot their photo.
One last thing - how the voting is going to looks like ? The submission will again be nominated and then selected ? Are we, the participants allowed to vote / nominate ?
Thanks!
'>' manntax
06-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
One last thing - how the voting is going to looks like ? The submission will again be nominated and then selected ? Are we, the participants allowed to vote / nominate ? Thanks! ,,, '>' manntax
It will be just like our monthly contests. Each member will be able to vote for up to 32 photos, and the photos with the most votes will advance. There will be no nominations this time. To keep things fair, only members who registered prior to today will be able to vote, though yes, you can vote yourself.

Adam

06-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #12

First of all thank you all for making me part of the second round, I feel very humbled and honored. And I have just one question, if I understand correctly. This round and the last will be purely member voting, no judges involvement?
06-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I also would like to thank everyone for voting for my picture. Nice to hear that what I do is worth showing .
06-04-2014, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Seems odd a that you have to submit another photo. It's like saying, OK, the first ones are nice, but they don't count now.

Frankly I'll be glad when it is over - the new posts and unanswered post lists really are clogged.

But, good luck!
06-04-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this is an interesting twist. Turns this into more of a photographer contest than a photo contest. I think I'm ok with that and excited to still be in the game (thanks for the nominations!).
But this really makes me have to think!
Closed Thread