Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like that the girls reflection appears to be older; all the elements come together, rife with the potential for metaphorical interpretation. Well done.

07-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I really like that the girls reflection appears to be older; all the elements come together, rife with the potential for metaphorical interpretation. Well done.
it didn't cross my mind that she could be seen as older... thanks for showing me new sides of my picture :-)
08-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Hi everyone :-)

I immediatly picked the word "reflections" from the list, because i've had the idea of interpreting Jan Vermeers painting "Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window" in my head for quite a while now, but didn't ever get around to do it... so, the contest was the perfect opportunity to get my butt up :-)

The painting features a girl who receives a letter with bad news (propably from her lover, as the apples are seen as a symbol for extramarital affairs).
There's a reflection of her face on the glass of a window, and this reflection tells us more about the emotional state of the girl than her face does - that's something i really liked.

So i wanted to do something with a reflection, have a girl reading a letter, have the spilled apples, and also have a slight feeling of voyeurism in the picture, as if we're not allowed to witness this intimate moment - i hope that comes across. Otherwise i changed a lot about the composition, the idea was not to copy the painting but to play with its themes and make it my own thing.

Also, there was this building i've had my eye on for a long time because it featured these graphically interesting, long red stairs.
Instead of a window, i borrowed a mirror and took it there.
I asked Larissa, a friend who is an amateur actress in my university's theater group, to be in the picture.
She did a wonderful job acting, we tried out several intensities to find the fitting one, she was very patient with me trying to nail the shot.

I used my K10D with a DA 16-45mm, and Jonagold apples

I hope you like the result, Larissa is very happy with it :-) If you have any questions, go ahead!

Micha

PS By the way, i can highly recommend to do such projects (like choosing a classical painting and interpreting it photographically), it really makes you learn from the old masters, forces you to decide what makes a picture work in your eyes, and gets your creative juices flowing when you encounter problems on the way - that's when you change the whole thing to make it work your way. Anybody stuck creatively should try this out in my opinion... and then let us see the results here :-)
Makes my 16-45mm look good !