Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 06:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I Can Fly"- fast motion
Lens: sigma 17-50 Camera: k-5 

On June 4th I was very humbled and excited to find out I had made it to round two. My head began swimming with possible shots that fit the many possible themes. I am more of a portrait photographer, mostly children and pets, so my natural inclination was to the "innocent" theme line ( especially since on June 4th our family was blessed with a second grandchild, yes it was a very good day). But I also looked at this as an opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and challenge myself. I began researching local places that fit various combinations of theme words. It was during this time that I was told about a local "multi-millionaire." He is an AmericanStandardbred harness race horse and was described as being "powerful, tough, and fast" and in those words my theme began to form. Early one morning I headed to the local track (a national historic landmark) where the trotters, including Mr.Millionaire, exercise and train. Trotters exercise or "jog" clockwise,then if they are scheduled for training they turn around and go a mile (2 laps) counter clockwise at full speed around the track. I took a lot of pictures(including Mr.Millionaire) and many of them were good, but after culling through them, to me they did not convey the powerful motion that I was going for. The"power" was there, but I didn't feel the motion. One of the last pictures I took that morning had a slight blur because I had inadvertently moved the camera trying to focus. Although the horse was blurred, the impression of movement I was looking for was there. I realized needed to learn to pan...a technique I have never done. After reading many articles and watching many videos about panning, I went back to the track. I set myself up and practiced panning on the early, slower moving horses and certainly got a lot of blurred motion. It was difficult to find a focal point..the horse, the sulky or the driver? I kept at it and when Mr. Millionaire came out, I felt ready to give a good try. Two laps around, two good chances of getting the shot I envisioned. After his morning run, I began packing up. I had just put my camera in the bag when I saw a driver turn a young, smaller horse around and begin to race down the track at full throttle. She was very fast and with each stride she looked as if she was flying over the track. I quickly grabbed the camera and was able to get two shots off before the driver slowed her back into a jog. So the picture you see, is not the powerful motion and Mr. Millionaire that I set out to capture, but of very fast motion and a pretty little filly who thinks she can fly.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Yank21; 07-08-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: resize
07-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

Great pic!! You can feel the power of the horses!!
07-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ksgwtw Quote
Great pic!! You can feel the power of the horse
Thank you, she is a small filly but her strides were very quick and powerful and you could just see she loved to going around that track. She is a pacer, you can tell because she is wearing what they call "hobbles", leather straps on her legs, to ensure that the legs on the same side of her body move in unison. Pacers are much faster than trotters, whose diagonal legs move in unison. I feel fortunate I was able to capture her as she ran by. Thank you again.
07-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

I really like the background blur and the in focus horse. All four hooves off the ground gives you the feel she is flying.

07-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skibuddy Quote
I really like the background blur and the in focus horse. All four hooves off the ground gives you the feel she is flying.
Thank you very much skibuddy. I had a few other photos of the trotters and pacers that were maybe technically better, but this little filly really touched my heart. I felt privileged to watch her run.
07-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love this photo!
07-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #7

Great picture! Beautiful moment captured !

07-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I love this photo!
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuttagioia Quote
Great picture! Beautiful moment captured !
Thank you very much