Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #16

Hey. I am sincerely grateful to everyone who voted for number four in the second round. Congratulations to all the finalists and wish them good luck. And hope to see interesting pictures in the final.

07-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #17

Hey Adam,
1) are we allowed lens corrections like chromatic abberations, perspective distortion, vignette?

2)
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
[*]White balance/monochrome conversion
So, when converting to monochrome, are we allowed to weigh the colours? Sorry for my english, not sure if that's how it's called - i mean there are sliders in Lightroom that adjust how light or dark a certain colour comes out in black and white.

3)
[*]Black-and-white/sepia presets
Since we are allowed sepia, can i use the tint module of Lightroom to give monochrome pictures a sepia or light blueish tone?

4)
[*]Minor shadow/highlight correction
Together with shadows and highlights, Lightroom offers sliders for blacks and whites. Are these allowed, too?

5) If we step over the line somewhere, crank up the contrast too much or something, will you inform us about that when we submit, and give us a chance to lessen that adjustment until it suits the requirements?

Thank you,
Micha
07-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Wow, tough rules!
I never signed up for the contest and I never stood a chance considering the fantastic talent we have here, but I am glad there are these rules. These kinds of 'rules' are how I try to operate every time I shoot.
07-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
1) are we allowed lens corrections like chromatic abberations, perspective distortion, vignette?
Yes, since these are also available in-camera.

So, when converting to monochrome, are we allowed to weigh the colours? Sorry for my english, not sure if that's how it's called - i mean there are sliders in Lightroom that adjust how light or dark a certain colour comes out in black and white.
Again, yes for the same reason.

Since we are allowed sepia, can i use the tint module of Lightroom to give monochrome pictures a sepia or light blueish tone?
Together with shadows and highlights, Lightroom offers sliders for blacks and whites. Are these allowed, too?
Try to accomplish these things in-camera (i.e. by using a filter or playing with the exposure). Since people will be looking and your photo before and after editing, a drastic change would probably worsen your chances of winning.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm a bit confused. Unless one is shooting jpeg's how can one achieve sepia, or light bluish tones, in camera? AFAIK no cameras save this info in RAW.

I was wondering about this because I'd like to try the Lightroom Split Toning feature. Would this be acceptable?
07-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #21

Since people will be looking and your photo before and after editing, a drastic change would probably worsen your chances of winning.
I see. I thought that you would decide whether the rules for post processing are being met...
but if i understand your answer correctly, you will ask the voters to decide if one has applied an unacceptable amount of post processing.

Thank you Adam!
Micha
07-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

On reviewing lots of my images for this competition I have determined that it is best, for me at least, to post-process as little as possible when aiming for a natural "look". Almost invariably, the things that I thought looked great a few years ago now seem gaudy and harsh.
07-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I see. I thought that you would decide whether the rules for post processing are being met...
but if i understand your answer correctly, you will ask the voters to decide if one has applied an unacceptable amount of post processing.

Thank you Adam!
Micha
When you go to submit your photo, you will be notified if there are any issues with the submission. But as long as you're within the guidelines posted with this thread, your fellow forum members will be the sole judges

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What are the rules on gradient filters? I don't own a physical one (because $$) and I was always doing that in lightroom. I can do it either way - it will just affect the choice of shots.
07-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
What are the rules on gradient filters? I don't own a physical one (because $$) and I was always doing that in lightroom. I can do it either way - it will just affect the choice of shots.
I don't think that kind of a filter would be allowed in PP.

Adam

08-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #26
Forum Member

Hey Adam,
are we allowed stitching panoramic images?

Thank You
Alex
08-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumb question, I know, but 1200 pixels at what DPI ?
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Dumb question, I know, but 1200 pixels at what DPI ?
Looking at entries in Round 2, I'm assuming that 1200 px at 240 dpi is acceptable (that's what was acceptable then).

The instructions say "The round 3 voting post will include the following..."

Does that mean that I need to START a Round 3 post? I'm guessing not, since when I try it tells me that I've "already submitted to Round 2".

Can you tell I'm a bit confused???
08-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Candid, I don't think a pano stitch is allowed, at least now how I interpreted the instructions.

Cheekygeek, for online viewing I don't think dpi is very important.
To enter round three you need to email your entry (see the details in the first post of this thread), not start a new thread.
08-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Does that mean that I need to START a Round 3 post? I'm guessing not, since when I try it tells me that I've "already submitted to Round 2". Can you tell I'm a bit confused???
All you need to do is e-mail your submission.

Adam

Closed Thread