Photos: Gallery

08-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #17

for me 1st :3 2nd : 21 3rd : 22
all are very good
08-10-2014, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As one of the finalists, I would like to extend best wishes to all those who made it to the third and final round.

I must admit that I don't really understand the convoluted formula that is now in place to decide the winner (it makes my head hurt to contemplate), but it appears that it would be possible to WIN the 3rd round and still not win the contest (which seems more than a little odd to me). To me, survival into the next round should be all the reward a contestant should need in the early rounds - and then hit me with your best shot in Round 3! I also think it is wacky to think that a loyal Pentaxian might not be the winner of a PentaxForums contest because it is open to other manufacturer's cameras. But it is not my forum, not my contest, and not my K-3 that is being given as top prize, so I just want to express appreciation for all of the work I know it must be to administer such a contest.

Thanks also to those that have mentioned my image in this thread as one that has earned their vote in this final round. My image illustrates one of the main reasons that I chose Pentax for my first (and, since, only DSLRs): The in-body image stabilization system and the superb weather sealing. Shooting extreme weather means handholding exposures on the run, often at slow shutter speeds in rapidly changing weather conditions. The superb dynamic range of the K-5 family (as well as the excellent high-ISO performance) means that the Pentax shooter, like you and me, has one of the finest tools available at any price.

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 04:55 PM ----------

I forgot to mention... on the Viewing Page, keep in mind that the RED LINE does not provide a border for the image and its number. The number for the image is (counter-intuitively) ABOVE the RED LINE. This is easy to see if you notice the very FIRST image on the page (or if you look at the enlarged image, where the number is prominently displayed with the image Title). But if you are voting from only the thumbnails page, it would be easy to make a mistake and vote for the image ABOVE the one you intended to vote for.

To clarfy: On the thumbnails page: The number of the image is above the red line BEFORE the image thumbnails are displayed.

NOTE to MODS: If you change that formatting, please delete this post.
08-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #19

What happens if you were a judges pick in round 1.

08-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #20

K3 contest

Great final round, difficult to choose from but my final choice was 12 - 20 - 27

Good luck everybody
08-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Voted - good luck.
08-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
6-11-31 and good luck to all of the contestants!

Congratulations to everyone! Great photographs here...
08-11-2014, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #23

I came to this forum with the intention of entering this contest, but I was a bit too late in getting here. Although I have been unable to vote, I have enjoyed browsing all the entries and reading the comments. The only thing I have not enjoyed, has been the all the negative comments regarding post processing (round two) and now negative comments regarding quality of the photos submitted with little to no processing. I guess the debate will go on and on regarding post processing; but this was not the time nor the place.

Speaking of the rules,in reading many of the comments from the finalists themselves I believe that the contest rules for this round may have changed after they submitted their photos. It seems they were told all three of their photos would be shown in this final round and their body of work would be judged. If this is true, I was wondering, did the initial rules with three pictures influence any of the finalists on what picture they would enter for the final round? If after finding out the rules had changed, would they have chosen another picture for this round?

Having said all that, I would like to congratulate each of the finalists. You all havedone well. All 32 of you have shown me I have a lot to learn. If I could vote: #9- I love the cloud formation over the old barn, I can feel the storm coming. #30-Great capture. I would love to hear the story behind this moment. And lastly, #32- What an absolutely beautiful baby! I really like the way a simple photograph every family has taken at one time or another(back to basics maybe?) was turned into a stunningly beautiful portrait using very limited post processing. I hope that picture is hanging on a wall somewhere.

Once again congratulations to all of you and thank you to the administrator(s) for your hard work and effort to put the contest together.

08-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skibuddy Quote
I came to this forum with the intention of entering this contest, but I was a bit too late in getting here. Although I have been unable to vote, I have enjoyed browsing all the entries and reading the comments. The only thing I have not enjoyed, has been the all the negative comments regarding post processing (round two) and now negative comments regarding quality of the photos submitted with little to no processing. I guess the debate will go on and on regarding post processing; but this was not the time nor the place.

Speaking of the rules,in reading many of the comments from the finalists themselves I believe that the contest rules for this round may have changed after they submitted their photos. It seems they were told all three of their photos would be shown in this final round and their body of work would be judged. If this is true, I was wondering, did the initial rules with three pictures influence any of the finalists on what picture they would enter for the final round? If after finding out the rules had changed, would they have chosen another picture for this round?

Having said all that, I would like to congratulate each of the finalists. You all havedone well. All 32 of you have shown me I have a lot to learn. If I could vote: #9- I love the cloud formation over the old barn, I can feel the storm coming. #30-Great capture. I would love to hear the story behind this moment. And lastly, #32- What an absolutely beautiful baby! I really like the way a simple photograph every family has taken at one time or another(back to basics maybe?) was turned into a stunningly beautiful portrait using very limited post processing. I hope that picture is hanging on a wall somewhere.

Once again congratulations to all of you and thank you to the administrator(s) for your hard work and effort to put the contest together.
As a finalist who believes the goal posts were moved after I submitted my image, and seeing the number of votes going to images that may not have been all that concerned with the theme Back to Basics - without seeing the artists description/explanation that was to be displayed it's hard to know - I certainly would have chosen a more traditional image instead of trying to make what I consider to be Art. Regardless, it's been an interesting exercise in trying to maintain artistic integrity (some may call this style) and also fit within the theme and rules.
08-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by skibuddy Quote

Honestly I think I would of probably submitted a different photo if I was going to voted on the single photos instead of all three.. The reason I say that was because I was going to submit another photo but it happened to have a bridge in the background so since 2 of my photos (round 1&2 ) had bridges so I decided to go with one that added something different to my submittions which was some bokeh and a bit more abstract but it is what it is...can't go back on it now..was at b&h today checking that K3 and its an amazing camera..good luck to everyone
08-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Great shots everyone, it was difficult to chose the best 3
08-12-2014, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #27

I would like to add my voice to those saying that they would have selected a different shot had they known it was only going to be this last one that people were seeing and voting for. I decided to go for something different from the previous two rounds so that I had a wider 'portfolio', for want of a better word. Had I known that it was going to be just the last on show, I would not have worried about variety and chosen something more like one of my previous shots! And as for the formula....surely that gives an advantage to the more popular photos in the previous rounds. I would have thought that getting through to the 'final' should mean that we all start on a 'level playing field' and all have an equal chance of winning! Anyway, rant over and good luck to everyone....
08-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyfelt30 Quote
I would like to add my voice to those saying that they would have selected a different shot had they known it was only going to be this last one that people were seeing and voting for. I decided to go for something different from the previous two rounds so that I had a wider 'portfolio', for want of a better word. Had I known that it was going to be just the last on show, I would not have worried about variety and chosen something more like one of my previous shots! And as for the formula....surely that gives an advantage to the more popular photos in the previous rounds. I would have thought that getting through to the 'final' should mean that we all start on a 'level playing field' and all have an equal chance of winning! Anyway, rant over and good luck to everyone....
Same here. I don't understand if there was a 'silent' change of rules, or something but this is what was written in at the beginning:

"Once round 3 closes, members will collectively rate all 3 of your submissions (round 1, round 2, and round 3), and the highest-ranked photos (combined) will be our winners."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-contests/pentax-k-3-photo-contest-round-3-voting.html#ixzz3AE2T45Sn"

But in the end we only rate round 3... this is extremely confusing and I too would have chosen a very different shot.
08-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the finalists are great!

I would have liked to read the description of the photo before casting my vote - but now I voted. It was very hard to pick just three of these masterpieces!
08-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #30

Love that pic --- awesome

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 10:03 AM ----------

32 awesome picture
Closed Thread