#32 113.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#16, the frog family, was among the ones I voted for, but there is something I really want to say and since there isn't an option to comment on the photo directly, I do it here:
I often appreciate black and white, but in this particular case I just LOVE the original colours! They are so beautiful and harmonic and the subject and their surroundings match perfectly - I just can't imagine what made you choose to go bw here. I think the photo and composition is outstanding, so it got my vote - but I prefer the unedited version by far.

08-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really have a submitter's remorse now :-/. I think like many people here I overestimated the importance of diversity.

If I knew these shots will be on the page by themselves I would get something attention catching.
Maybe I would go an easy way and included a very similar shot to the first round
equalizeddark - rrstuff's Album: Landscapes - PentaxForums.com
08-13-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
#16, the frog family, was among the ones I voted for, but there is something I really want to say and since there isn't an option to comment on the photo directly, I do it here:
I often appreciate black and white, but in this particular case I just LOVE the original colours! They are so beautiful and harmonic and the subject and their surroundings match perfectly - I just can't imagine what made you choose to go bw here. I think the photo and composition is outstanding, so it got my vote - but I prefer the unedited version by far.
Thanks alot for voting for my shot an also the great compliment! The reason I chose to convert it to black and white was mainly because it was the safest option. With all the rules for round 3 I figured people would judge hard on processed images like they did in round 2, which put me off editing the original colours to make them pop, instead the only adjustments done was a conversion to black and white. Now after seeing the amount of editing some people have done to their final images of round 3, I really regret changing it to black and white, but whats done is done. Thanks again!
08-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #34

Beautiful images. Congratulations to those that made it this far and would people please stop complaining about the rules that have ensured the prize will go to a photographer and not just someone who has one good photo. Well organised and planned Adam.

08-13-2014, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YARADNYL Quote
Beautiful images. Congratulations to those that made it this far and would people please stop complaining about the rules that have ensured the prize will go to a photographer and not just someone who has one good photo. Well organised and planned Adam.
Nobody is complaining about the rules. People are complaining that the images are being allowed to be judged out of the context stated within the rules.

The brief had a theme and a set of processing limitations but people are being allowed to conflate the processing limitations with the theme - becoming the theme in itself - thus making the actual theme redundant in favour of people's prejudices (tastes) in many cases. This is clearly unfair to anyone who took the actual visual theme seriously and should not be confused with whinging and whining.

If you just got your drivers licence and went out driving, but the rules changed as you were heading out the driveway and you were subsequently fined for speeding, I'm sure you'd complain.
08-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obviously I didn't make it to the third round, but I had read the "back to basics" theme as just being an avoidance of a lot of processing/hdr/composite images. As to how much title/description plays in to the voting, hard to say. But I guess there will always be folks who aren't pleased with a contest.
08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Obviously I didn't make it to the third round, but I had read the "back to basics" theme as just being an avoidance of a lot of processing/hdr/composite images. As to how much title/description plays in to the voting, hard to say. But I guess there will always be folks who aren't pleased with a contest.
I too thought the same as you, I figured that "back to basics" was just having alot of limitations when editing (basic editing, no fancy post processing and what not). But after reading all the comments, it seems a few people thought the theme had to relate to the actual shot. Im not sure which one is correct as PF never really specified, but either way Im not bothered, Im just glad you also interpreted the theme the same as I did.
08-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jordan217 Quote
I too thought the same as you, I figured that "back to basics" was just having alot of limitations when editing (basic editing, no fancy post processing and what not). But after reading all the comments, it seems a few people thought the theme had to relate to the actual shot. Im not sure which one is correct as PF never really specified, but either way Im not bothered, Im just glad you also interpreted the theme the same as I did.
That's how I interpreted it too. In the end, each voter will probably vote according to their own interpretation - and there will probably be several hundreds of those.

08-15-2014, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YARADNYL Quote
Seriously, that is a validation of my point.
If you want a "Photographer's Contest" then make it that~
Don't call it a PHOTO contest & then change/adapt the
rules as it goes forward~but really nice kiss up to Adam!
08-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skibuddy Quote
I came to this forum with the intention of entering this contest, but I was a bit too late in getting here. Although I have been unable to vote, I have enjoyed browsing all the entries and reading the comments. The only thing I have not enjoyed, has been the all the negative comments regarding post processing (round two) and now negative comments regarding quality of the photos submitted with little to no processing. I guess the debate will go on and on regarding post processing; but this was not the time nor the place.
Speaking of the rules,in reading many of the comments from the finalists themselves I believe that the contest rules for this round may have changed after they submitted their photos. It seems they were told all three of their photos would be shown in this final round and their body of work would be judged. If this is true, I was wondering, did the initial rules with three pictures influence any of the finalists on what picture they would enter for the final round? If after finding out the rules had changed, would they have chosen another picture for this round?
Having said all that, I would like to congratulate each of the finalists. You all havedone well. All 32 of you have shown me I have a lot to learn. If I could vote: #9- I love the cloud formation over the old barn, I can feel the storm coming. #30-Great capture. I would love to hear the story behind this moment. And lastly, #32- What an absolutely beautiful baby! I really like the way a simple photograph every family has taken at one time or another(back to basics maybe?) was turned into a stunningly beautiful portrait using very limited post processing. I hope that picture is hanging on a wall somewhere.
Once again congratulations to all of you and thank you to the administrator(s) for your hard work and effort to put the contest together.

In all honesty, I have been a bit perplexed regarding this final round. When the voting thread first opened I was surprised to see just the last round submissions, so I went backand reread the round three instructions thread thinking that I had somehow missed a change in this process. My first two submissions were of a different genre, requiring different techniques. My thought process for this round was to continue on this path and having three very different photos. Had I known that round 3 voting would be on this last photo instead of the three photos together as a whole, I would have gone with something else. It would have been nice if we had been informed of the change in this round and given the opportunity (as in round two) to review and possibly change our submission based on the new rules. But as cheekygeek said "it is not my forum, not my contest." It is what it is and I can't go back. For the most part this has been a good experience and I wish all the finalists the best of luck.
08-15-2014, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really feel for Adam and the PentaxForums crew, because regardless of what you do there is going to be a contingent that finds fault with whatever happens. However, what most people here seem to be upset with is the fact that many things have changed from what was stated AND things have been made up as we have gone along. I'm sure that Adam & Co. will learn from how things go this time and make improvements in the future.

First, I'd like to say something to those who say they "would have chosen a different Round 3 photo" if they would have known that their third round photo would NOT be shown alongside their photos from rounds 1 & 2: You really can't blame the change in rules of presentation on Round 3 for your decision of what photo to enter in Round 3. It was YOU who thought that something would be added by showing a different subject of photo in round 3. To win the contest, you still need to place highly in round 3 to have a chance and that means that whatever photo you chose should have been good enough (on its own) to compete successfully with the other 31 entrants. If you didn't choose a photo that could do that, then it really doesn't matter how it was presented (either by itself, or alongside your 1st & 2nd round photos). So I think that is a tempest in a teapot.

Similarly, nobody complained when Adam & Company changed the rules after they said they were going to take the top 64 images in Round 1 and instead took 128. I haven't gone back and seen who made it to the third round that benefited from that rules change (possibly even me), but my point is nobody complained - even though the people who entered now had more people to compete with than they originally planned. And I'm sure that decision alone made for a LOT more work for Adam & Co. - for which they get virtually no thanks.

There are two problems, however, that I think are worth considering:

1) Believe it or not, there are state and federal laws that govern contests and giveaways. This is why most contests that you see have a ton of small print and everything is "set in stone" before the contest begins. People can't complain about things that change during the progress of a contest if things do not change. It is that simple. I think we all want PentaxForums to continue to have nice prizes to giveaway in contests and that is probably less likely to happen if Adam & Co. have to hire a lawyer to run a simple giveaway (or defend themselves against what happened in the LAST giveaway). So, as I said, I expect them to learn from this event and at least give a little more forethought and structure to the next contest/giveaway instead of appearing to make it up as they go along.

2) Making it up as you go along can give the appearance of bias in the contest, or even manipulating the results. This is one reason for the laws, mentioned above. As an example of a place in this contest where this appearance of bias charge could be leveled, and it is an exceedingly important one: The "formula" devised to determine the winner. No one could question bias being involved in that formula had it been defined before the contest began. Few of us could complain about it even if it had been unveiled after Round One, when we all found out that there would be more rounds. However, it was not unveiled (and, apparently, devised/decided) until after the Round 2 results were known. Based on that formula, it appears to be possible for the winner of the contest to only score in the middle-of-the-pack in the 3rd and "decisive" round. This is not just silly, it is asinine and goes against all perception of "surviving" into the next round as well as "Round 3 deciding the winner." (Yes, it decides the winner, as long as you are happy with the overall winner only needing approximately 50% of the Round 3 winner's votes to win.)
08-16-2014, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

"First, I'd like to say something to those who say they "would have chosen a different Round 3 photo" if they would have known that their third round photo would NOT be shown alongside their photos from rounds 1 & 2: You really can't blame the change in rules of presentation on Round 3 for your decision of what photo to enter in Round 3. It was YOU who thought that something would be added by showing a different subject of photo in round 3

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/174-pentax-k-3-photo-contest/269917-pentax-k-3-contest-round-3-voting-3.html#ixzz3Aa3f9FWZ"

did you read the rules? The reason why we 'thought' it was the case, is because that is what was written in the rules. Or did we just all have a group hallucination?

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 11:25 AM ----------

"First, I'd like to say something to those who say they "would have chosen a different Round 3 photo" if they would have known that their third round photo would NOT be shown alongside their photos from rounds 1 & 2: You really can't blame the change in rules of presentation on Round 3 for your decision of what photo to enter in Round 3. It was YOU who thought that something would be added by showing a different subject of photo in round 3

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/174-pentax-k-3-photo-contest/269917-pentax-k-3-contest-round-3-voting-3.html#ixzz3Aa3f9FWZ"

did you read the rules? The reason why we 'thought' it was the case, is because that is what was written in the rules. Or did we just all have a group hallucination?
I find your post highly offensive to my intelligence (and others). You seem to imply, that we blame others for our choices, rather than asking a question if there was a rule change, and stating how a disparity between the rules and what ended up happening affected our choices and chances.
08-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #43

Seeing this beautifull pictures, I realise I still have a lot to learn Great shots, no exceptions!

My first selection went down to five: 11, 14, 18. 20 and 5. In the end, one have to choose, I selected:
11 - the emotion, the impact of the figure at the fire!
18 - could be in the NG magazine...
20 - a very strange photo, which I normally wouldn't even have liked. But in a certain way I kept coming back, looking again and again... Well done!

Shame I couldn't pick the other two also The woman behind the window is worth a spotlight position in his (her) own and 5 has for me the glamour effect.
08-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I have the dubious honour of getting the least votes.

Thanks to the other person who voted for me besides myself.
08-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the photographer who created the top vote-getter in Round 3, I'd like to thank all who voted for #9. It is a great honor which is, conversely, humbling.

The prospect of owning the K-3, which is almost inarguably the greatest APS-C camera available today, is what probably motivated all of us to enter. However, those of use who currently shoot with Pentax cameras (particularly after the switch to Sony Exmor sensors) know that we already have one of the finest tools available for capturing great photography. I've never owned a DSLR that wasn't Pentax. My first was a K200D, my 2nd a Kx (wow, big difference!), my 3rd the K-5 (flagship!) and my current camera is a K-5II. The reasons I originally chose the K200D are still what make Pentax my choice: in-body image stabilization, weathersealing, a metal frame that makes you feel like you are holding a real camera and not a piece of plastic, and last (but certainly not least) the ability to easily use legacy glass like the superb Asahi Pentax Takumars, as well as a plethora of great modern AF designs.
Closed Thread