Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Auto Focus Extension Tubes

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If you are here (PF), you probably know this trick. I am not the inventor, but I came up with the idea independently.
Pentax does not make an AF extension tube, nor does anyone else in the Pentax mount.
What to do?
Get an AF rear converter, remove all of the glass VOILA, a Pentax mount AF extension tube!
1.4x = ~ 18mm of extension, 2x = ~ 25mm of extension. I have combined them for ~ 43mm of extension.
The shorter the focal length of the lens, the greater the effect of the extension.
Enjoy.
Jack

05-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or you can get a manual focus / auto aperture teleconverter, remove the glass and spend a couple hours with a dremel adding an extra data pin and a screw drive connection like i did.
06-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

It looks like Kooka Optics in China are making AF extension tubes for K-mount. They make a 25mm and a 20 + 36mm set. There doesn't appear to be anybody in the US at the moment selling these but there are vendors in the UK and Germany selling 25mm tube.

www.kooka-optics.com
06-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jessop (UK based, I think) obviously has offered such tubes.
On German eBay, a used set is offered. The pictures show, that at least the 31mm tube supports AF.
The 13mm and 21mm ones don't.

Auction will end in less than 4 hours.

Jessop Extension Tube Set for Pentax K & KA-Bayonet mount | eBay

06-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a set of extension tubes that support screw-drive and SDM focusing, however you would have to be rather stupid to try using AF at magnifications at 1:2 and beyond. Even my D4 doesn't reliably get the focus right at 1:1 and that camera has the most advanced AF module of any camera I own.