Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

Which macro lens ??

Hope this is the right place to ask about macro lenses, and not just a place to show images.

I've decided (sort of anyways) to buy a dedicated macro prime lens. have two in mind - the Sigma 105 f2.8 or the Pentax 100 f2.8 WR. (assuming I can still find a Sigma 105 that is)

The Pentax seems to have a few advantages over the Simga
- smaller and lighter
- smaller filter size
- WR

Sigma
- is inner focusing, which I do like the idea of.

Both are around the same price. The Pentax seems to be the better option, so looking for options of either .

Thanks
Mark

08-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #2

Very good question as I'm looking for the right macro lens, too. Didn't even have the Sigma on my radar (don't worry, I'm in a different purchasing region )
I can't answer your question, though was swaying towards the Pentax. But one drawback you haven't listed is, that it doesn't have an aperture ring. So one can't use extension rings or bellows for further magnification.
08-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Hope this is the right place to ask about macro lenses, and not just a place to show images.

I've decided (sort of anyways) to buy a dedicated macro prime lens. have two in mind - the Sigma 105 f2.8 or the Pentax 100 f2.8 WR. (assuming I can still find a Sigma 105 that is)

The Pentax seems to have a few advantages over the Simga
- smaller and lighter
- smaller filter size
- WR

Sigma
- is inner focusing, which I do like the idea of.

Both are around the same price. The Pentax seems to be the better option, so looking for options of either .

Thanks
Mark
Don't discount the Tamron 90mm.
It has a quirky MF/AF mechanism, where both camera body and lens have to be in the same mode, but you get used to it, and the lens is well regarded.
08-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Both lenses are available in the Marketplace right now, so some savings to be had.

08-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Both lenses are available in the Marketplace right now, so some savings to be had.
thanks, but still need to decide on which one
08-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both lenses are highly regarded. You cannot go wrong with either. If you need WR the DAFA-100mm is the best option.

A third cheaper alternative is the Tamron 90mm, well regarded. An excellent comparison was published at PF:

Review: Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Hope that the comment may help.
08-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

People often can't decide between Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105mm and Pentax 100mm macro lenses. Optically, they are all pretty amazing. I have seen great photos taken with each of these lenses. It usually comes down to availability and budget. I have the DFA 100mm and really like it. Very sharp, contrasty, works as a general tele lens, portrait lens, etc. Only downside is lack of aperture ring (you only need it if you want to use it on older film cameras or with certain extension tubes or bellows) and lack of focus limiter, but it does have quickshift. The DFA 100mm WR is optically the same as the previous DFA 100mm macro (not WR, not aluminium) and FA 100mm macro and F 100mm macro. The difference between them is the build/appearance and features like focus limiter, focus clamp (to prevent accidental focus shifting), and WR.
I would say get any of these lenses, as long as you find one in good condition for a good price. Only choose a specific model if it has a feature that you need, and the others don't have it.

08-24-2014, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My two cents. I have the Sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm, the Tammy is M but you can get one that is AF. Beaware, not all macro primes are 1:1 magnification. The F100 isn't, it's 1:2, and it makes a difference. Also, the only time you should use AF is if you're not doing macro. That's why I kept the Tammy, even though it isn't AF, I don't need that to do macro. But currently I'm using the Sigma and used it in a monthly challenge recently.

Here is some examples taken with the Sigma:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1photolady/sets/72157645693588058/
08-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hm I think the F series 100mm macro is 1:1, at least according to this:
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
And I agree that in actual macro work AF is pretty much useless.
08-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure the Sigma 105 is not internal focus
08-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The review I read on the Pentax F 100, I think it was the f3.5, said it was 1:2. I couldn't find it just now though. I do know the f4 M version is only 1:2.
08-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the Pentax has no aperture ring. If you ever want to go beyond 1:1 using extension tubes, you'll need much more expensive ones with electrical contacts for aperture control.

The Tamron 90, Sigma 105 and Pentax 100WR are all fine lenses. You might consider older Pentax macros too (D-FA 100mm non-WR, FA 100). The Tamron seems to usually be available for the best price, and has a focus limiter. I chose this one because I found a good deal on it. Pentax is lightest and has WR but no aperture ring. I'm tempted by the non-WR version because it's so light and the colors are supposed to be wonderful. The Sigma has many fans, has a focus limiter but is the heaviest. It is not internal focus. I'm still also tempted by this one every time I see one at a reasonable price either here or on eBay...
08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
thanks, but still need to decide on which one
Understood. Like the othes have said, you cant go wrong with either of them. I own the much mentioned Tamron, and love it. My best friend has the Sigma 105, and we both get great results shooting with it. If you dont need WR, i would personally go for the one that was cheapest, as they are all great performers. 😉
08-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I agonized over this for months, and ended up going for the Sigma 70mm. I thought the image samples from it were just slightly nicer than the longer lenses. I also like the it has a 62mm thread, same as my Sigma 30/1.4 and my DA18-135. Only shot with it a couple of times, but so far, I love it.
08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll add my voices to those that say that autofocus is a bit silly for macro work. For the same money you could probably come close to getting a great manual focus macro AND a Sigma EM-140 DG TTL Macro Ringlight Flash for Pentax.

There is hardly such a thing as a bad macro lens. The longer the focal length, the farther away you stay from your subject (important if it is skitterish and flies off).

If you are worried about making the right decision or want to try several before settling, then I recommend buying used. You can always turn around and get you money spent BACK (or maybe make a profit, if you find a great deal).

I've been through a lot of them, but the one that will be buried with me is the (pretty darn rare) Tokina AT-X 90mm f2.5 with 1:1 matched extender. This is an "A" lens in Pentax mount. I call it the Bokina II. The original "Bokina" is the Vivitar Series 1 model of the same 90mm f2.5 with 1:1 extension, designed & manufactured by Tokina. They are not the same lens, but both are SUPERB, if not inexpensive.