Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Another attempt to catch that tiny guy.
Posted By: micromacro, 09-03-2014, 02:24 PM

There is no single moment when the spider does not move on the net. Hand held, no flash, Pentax 100mm f/4 and 36mm extension tube. Spider is about 4mm.

Last edited by micromacro; 09-03-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Views: 1,500
09-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What the beep is that?
09-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Spiney orb weaver, aka, Gasteracantha cancriformis.

BTW, good catch. Nice photo for handheld.
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My hope that Golden Skulltulas are real got boosted after seeing that spider

09-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, very interesting bug!
If movement is a problem, did you try putting a high aperture and low ISO (maybe even an ND filter) and using flash to freeze his motion? And catch in focus could help, as well. But he is nicely in focus and sharp in this photo! You did great!
09-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, pretty neat little critter! I love orb weavers.
09-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You did great!
I agree.

09-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. I love those colorful weavers. Unfortunately those spiders prefer open locations with wide nets. The net moves back and forward a couple of inches, so the tripod is headache to adjust. I don't want to destroy the net because I'm raising a little spider's farm now, they just started going back after summer showers washed them all off.
Reversed lens, or too many tubes reduce the distance, it's too close, they don't like camera and try to move away.

I think there are two options : either use flash with DIY diffuser, or wait for adapter for 100mm to mount the lens on Canon instead of Pentax with CCD and get lower ISO.
Or buy expensive real macro lens. My sweet dream is actually this Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens 2540A002 B&H Photo
09-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice shot, we had more of those spiders when the weather was milder, they are harder to Find now since it's so hot.
09-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Spiney orb weaver, aka, Gasteracantha cancriformis.
Spiney Backed orb weaver/female. We have them here too. And they're hard to find now it's hot here too. I had one I was taking photos of and waiting to see if I could catch her with the male, when my older nephew destroyed her and her web. I was mad as could be, but too late to save her.

Good shot on yours! TFS
09-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I had one I was taking photos of and waiting to see if I could catch her with the male, when my older nephew destroyed her and her web. I was mad as could be, but too late to save her.
I've never seen male yet, but I've not watched spiders before I got the camera. I used to kill all of them in our backyard. Since discovering macro world I protect now every single net Unfortunately there are only small ones for now. All mature, big and fat winter girls are gone, and I protect this new generation for winter photo shoots.

Don't buy your wife a camera...
09-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another attempt with another member of spider's farm.
The flash is too harsh, yep. Time to think about macro seriously. With proper settings this web "geometry" would be my best picture ever.
Pentax-M 100mm f/4 with extension tubes.

09-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice shots. That first one is better than anything I've been able to get so far...I have one in the back yard now with white coloring on the back, and tried to get some shots of a yellow and black one last year with no good results.

These guys usually build a pretty good sized triangular web, and almost always hang upside down, and with the web moving in the slightest breeze it's not easy to get a good shot. I use a 135mm lens with anything from 30 to 100 mm of extension tubes, which puts me a foot to 1 1/2 feet away, they don't seem to get too upset, but don't really like it either. Sit there for a couple of minutes and they usually settle down. I need to see if I Can find the one out back again and try a few shots. In hot weather look in shady spots, they tend to go to shady areas close to tree trunks.

For a makeshift diffuser, get a cash register receipt. They are heat sensitive on one side, so put that side facing away from the flash, it will last all day. I got a store clerk to give me one without any print on it once, it had only the store name on it so I knew which side was heat sensitive. A little scotch tape will hold it on a hot shoe flash, or a rubber band, a little creative folding makes a nice little envelope to put it on top of the pop up unit. One layer of paper does a pretty good job but if you put the heat sensitive side against the flash it will turn black after about 5 or 6 shots. I don't have to use one, my hot shoe flash has adjustable power, but with my older ones and the onboard, the cash register receipt is what I use.
09-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
These guys usually build a pretty good sized triangular web, and almost always hang upside down, and with the web moving in the slightest breeze it's not easy to get a good shot.
Exactly! It takes lots of patience to catch the "freeze" moment. I can spend an hour on shooting, and get about 2-3 good pictures if so. Tripod actually is not helping much, it slows down focusing. I practiced sturdy body position instead, controlling hands as possible and breathing, so it became kind of sporty. And because they stay upside down almost always, I need to find creative positions, the body hurts quickly.

QuoteQuote:
For a makeshift diffuser, get a cash register receipt. They are heat sensitive on one side, so put that side facing away from the flash, it will last all day. I got a store clerk to give me one without any print on it once, it had only the store name on it so I knew which side was heat sensitive.
Interesting. I don't have external flash, did not buy it yet. I use build in flash with poor man diffuser: the tube from pringles with white polyester semi-sheer fabric filter on the end. It helps a bit. Those spiders are too glossy for direct sun light or direct flash without diffuser.
09-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Try the receipt idea, it works pretty well. I'll see if I can describe how I fold mine.

Get a receipt about 6 inches long, fold it in half lengthwise. Fold that in thirds so it's a little wider than the onboard flash, use a small piece of scotch tape to hold it together. I usually use one layer in front of the flash and it works well. It just slips over the flash and as long as you get the heat sensitive side out it should last until it's either too ditry to use or well crumpled after you sat on it a few times...for a point and shoot you can just tape it on the camera covering the flash. When I make one I usually cut a little off one end so the tape doesn't wrap around to the front.