Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Another vote for this manual lens, allegedly the finest money can buy.

SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Not knowing this thread was happening I was busy in the backyard testing my macro collection (one is still making its way to me - SMC Pentax F 100 f2.8 - so no comment on that one).

I tested six lenses these being:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
Sigma 70mm f2.8
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

I use the following settings after framing each shot equally between lenses (used grid lines).

Aperture = 5.6
shutter speed = 250
ISO = 100
Camera = K01
Manual focus using focus peaking

I didn't muck around as the subject was a bit flighty - only one shot each lens.

SMC Pentax 50mm f2.8

Sigma 70mm f2.8

Vivitar 90mm f2.5

SMC Pentax M 100mm f4

Vivitar 100mm f2.8

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4

Conclusion:

Well I want to say the SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4 was the best, but it is not necessarily a clear winner. It's narrow FoV gives far greater opportunity to create a creamier bokeh - hence frame the subject better. I think my photos demonstrate this.

The SMC Pentax stable performed well overall - with a neck and neck race between these and the Vivitar 90mm f2.5 (I am unsure who wins here).

The Vivitar 100mm f2.8 comes fifth and sadly, the Sigma comes last. It either has a problem or really is not matching the others. More testing required to determine this.

Ultimately my technique is still requiring some training, but, the above images are getting close to the best I have managed thus far (still working on technique - perhaps that is another topic)

---------- Post added 10-04-14 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The Pentax 200mm macro lenses aren't a status symbol - they are just a tool like any other lens. There are considerable practical advantages to using macro lenses with focal lengths over 100mm. The fact that the Pentax 200mm f/4 macro lenses are rare is what keeps their price beyond the reach of many users.
I agree with you Digitalis

The rarity of the lens and its quality makes it expensive - why buy one? Here are some reasons:

Working distance - Getting 1:1 at 50cm is really good when dealing with flighty subjects. 1:2 is somewhere between 1 and 2 meters - nice, for snakes and other nasties.
FoV - the narrow FoV helps create a creamier bokeh, especially when there is good separation between the subject and its background
Optics - they are very good especially given the inclusion of the ED element
Build - you won't get better
Manual focusing - superior to all my lenses - I love it
Compact - surprisingly this lens is compact - certainly comparable in size to the Sigma 70mm - I find it very easy to handle

In saying the above I absolutely love my SMC Pentax F 50mm at a sixth of the price. However, its use is more aligned to static objects where working distance is not a problem (flowers).

If manual focus is alright for you then I believe the Vivitar 90mm f2.5 'Bokina' represents excellent value, which would probably be well matched with the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 if AF is the go.

oh, and just so there is no uncertainty as to the capabilities of the SMC Pentax A* 200mm F4, this photo probably shows my best work this afternoon.

Last edited by Wild Mark; 10-04-2014 at 12:46 AM.
10-04-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Eeeer .. That is a very interesting comparison ...

But to actually compare the lenses and say which is better would require almost laboratory conditions or quality control measures to limit the effect of variables .
A very nice lens collection to be sure .

Hmmm , the Vivitar 90mm f2.5 looks interesting ..
What aperture settings did you run ?
Were they all the same ?

Last edited by old4570; 10-04-2014 at 08:32 AM.
10-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghiaauto Quote
What is the best macro lens for pentax k3? if budget is not a problem?

the best that has autofocus and the best that doesn't have autofocus.

a really stupid question but I don't really.
The best that has autofocus is of course PENTAX-FA☆200mm macro F4 IF&ED. Another one is Sigma 180mm F2.8 macro, but unfortunately not in pentax k mount.

The best that doesnot have autofocus is kind of controversy, as there have so many great manual macro lenses inthe market. Some are expensive and people tends to defend their values as they had paid much or now worthy a fortune. But I think the pick of top 5 lenses below is less of controversy.

1) Pentax A* 200MM F4 (very rare)
2) Zeiss 100mm F2 (very rare in Pentax mount)
3) Tokina 90mm F2.5/Vivitar 90mm F2.5 (Bonika)
4) Voigtlander 125mm F2.5 (very rare)
5) Lester A Dine/Kiron/Vivitar 105mm F2.8

Last edited by starjedi; 10-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.
10-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
The best that has autofocus is of course PENTAX-FA☆200mm macro F4 IF&ED. Another one is Sigma 180mm F2.8 macro, but unfortunately not in pentax k mount.

The best that doesnot have autofocus is kind of controversy, as there have so many great manual macro lenses in the market. Some are expensive and people tends to defend their values as they had paid much or now worthy a fortune. But I think the pick of top 5 lenses below is less of controversy.

1) Pentax A* 200MM F4 (very rare)
2) Zeiss 100mm F2 (very rare in Pentax mount)
3) Tokina 90mm F2.5/Vivitar 90mm F2.5 (Bonika)
4) Voigtlander 125mm F2.5 (very rare)
5) Lester A Dine/Kiron/Vivitar 105mm F2.5
Based on what I have read I would agree with your above list. I tested your (1), (3) and (5) in my tests yesterday. Yes, number (5) is also known as the Vivitar 100mm f2.8 .....

I am going to test again today, and be a little more careful about it. I might set a faster shutter speed and close the aperture down to say f11 (change ISO) and take more care on the focusing.

For the two lenses that are AF I will focus manually first (take the shot) then use AF to see if a difference emerges.

If similar results emerge today (i.e. order of merit with better images), my order of 'best macros' (in my possession) is:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
Sigma 70mm f2.8

If my focusing was off yesterday I actually hope to move the vivitar and sigma up one at the expense of the SMC Pentax M 100mm .....

Ultimately, though, I expect to be letting go of the SMC Pentax M 100mm f4, Vivitar 100mm f2.8 and Sigma 70mm f2.8 when I receive the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 (currently getting a CLA by Eric), as I expect this lens will smash the three aforementioned lenses and, in their absence, fill the 100mm slot and AF capability. This will leave me with my 'best macros' recommendation (each important and have their own strengths and purpose) as follows:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

As you can see I prefer a range of macros, each having their own role in the camera bag.

10-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Based on what I have read I would agree with your above list. I tested your (1), (3) and (5) in my tests yesterday. Yes, number (5) is also known as the Vivitar 100mm f2.8 .....

I am going to test again today, and be a little more careful about it. I might set a faster shutter speed and close the aperture down to say f11 (change ISO) and take more care on the focusing.

For the two lenses that are AF I will focus manually first (take the shot) then use AF to see if a difference emerges.

If similar results emerge today (i.e. order of merit with better images), my order of 'best macros' (in my possession) is:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
Sigma 70mm f2.8

If my focusing was off yesterday I actually hope to move the vivitar and sigma up one at the expense of the SMC Pentax M 100mm .....

Ultimately, though, I expect to be letting go of the SMC Pentax M 100mm f4, Vivitar 100mm f2.8 and Sigma 70mm f2.8 when I receive the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 (currently getting a CLA by Eric), as I expect this lens will smash the three aforementioned lenses and, in their absence, fill the 100mm slot and AF capability. This will leave me with my 'best macros' recommendation (each important and have their own strengths and purpose) as follows:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

As you can see I prefer a range of macros, each having their own role in the camera bag.
OK, a new set of photos were taken of the 'same' subject. This time the subject was easier to photogragh.

Lighting was really good this morning so I kept the same settings (Aperture = 5.6, Shutter = 1/250, ISO 100, K01, manual focus using focus peaking).

Images were taken at increasing lens to subject distance to 'naturally' crop the subject equally. I then cropped in iPhoto to increase subject size for visual comparison.

Here are the photos in the following order:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
Sigma 70mm f2.8
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
Sigma 70mm f2.8

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

For the macro lenses, once stepping down, the difference among them will be smaller and smaller as it is hard to find a bad macro lens! There have a lot of other characters taking into consideration. For example, Vivitar/Tokina 90mm 2.5 is also known as a great lens for portraiture because its creamy bokeh and almost tackle sharp at wide open.

And you have a wonderful macro lens collection... All of them are very very good...One lens I am admiring most is A* 200mm F4. This lens has a legendary Chinese nickname called as 离别钩 (hook of departure /farewell hook). The 离别钩 (hook of departure / farewell hook) is a fatal weapon in Chinese martial art novel. In the novels, once someone uses this weapon to target any part of your body, that part will say farewell to you. This lens does just like this weapon. Once you use it to target any part of one item, it will take all the details of that part into your photo. That's why it gets this nickname. If pentax releases a similar mode in future (FA * 200mm F4), I will definitely jump in if the price is reasonable (eg similar or only slightly higher than what cannikon provides or Sigma 180mm 2.8). It should be surely available within next 5 years given pentax FF is coming and I will begin to save!

---------- Post added 10-04-14 at 04:02 PM ----------

OK, a new set of photos were taken of the 'same' subject. This time the subject was easier to photogragh.

Lighting was really good this morning so I kept the same settings (Aperture = 5.6, Shutter = 1/250, ISO 100, K01, manual focus using focus peaking).

Images were taken at increasing lens to subject distance to 'naturally' crop the subject equally. I then cropped in iPhoto to increase subject size for visual comparison.

Here are the photos in the following order:

SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4
Vivitar 100mm f2.8
SMC Pentax M 100mm f4
Vivitar 90mm f2.5
Sigma 70mm f2.8
SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8

The photos of A* 200mm F4 and Vivitar 90mm F2.8 are still my picks this time :-) The photo from Sigma 70 2.8 is likely again be the worst in the already excellent exhibition. It can be caused by sample variance?

Last edited by starjedi; 10-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.
10-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

For the macro lenses, once stepping down, the difference among them will be smaller and smaller as it is hard to find a bad macro lens! There have a lot of other characters taking into consideration. For example, Vivitar/Tokina 90mm 2.5 is also known as a great lens for portraiture because its creamy bokeh and almost tackle sharp at wide open.

And you have a wonderful macro lens collection... All of them are very very good...One lens I am admiring most is A* 200mm F4. This lens has a legendary Chinese nickname called as 离别钩 (Departing/farewell hook). The 离别钩 (hook of departure / farewell hook) is a fatal weapon in Chinese martial art novel. In the novels, once someone uses this weapon to target any part of your body, that part will say farewell to you. This lens does just like this weapon. Once you use it to target any part of one item, it will take all the details of that part into your photo. That's why it gets this nickname. If pentax releases a similar mode in future (FA * 200mm F4), I will definitely jump in if the price is reasonable (eg similar or only slightly higher than what cannikon provides or Sigma 180mm 2.8). It should be surely available within next 5 years given pentax FF is coming and I will begin to save!
I agree, re: stopping down. this is why I tried to stay as open as possible (without being silly). All my lenses were set at f=5.6.

Sorry, three other variables controlled. All shots taken from a tripod, RAW images taken, jpeg export from iPhoto.

In review I now have a new order of merit, one that I am far more confident in. It is:

1. SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4 (for reasons of sharpness, colour and bokeh)
2. Vivitar 90mm f2.5 'Bokina' (its contrast and colour was not as good straight from the camera)
3. SMC Pentax 50mm f2.8 (I am biased - not much between this and the next lens. In saying that it was not far behind the Vivitar 90mm)
4. Vivitar 100mm f2.8 (relegated to fourth as I am biased but in reality very good)
5. Sigma 70mm f2.8 (bokeh was a little clumsy, sharpness just a touch off - but not by much (perhaps it is contrast))
6. SMC Pentax 100mm f4 (sharpness was poorest of them all)

So there you have it. I will 'cull' the last three lenses after I receive the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 leaving me with my 'ultimate collection' of macro lenses.

As Digitalis mentioned each is a tool in the box, each having its own purpose. And so, with that in mind, the 'best macro' of choice should be determined its prowess AND its intended use. For example, chasing butterflies with a SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8 is probably a bad match .....

---------- Post added 10-05-14 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote

Eeeer .. That is a very interesting comparison ...

But to actually compare the lenses and say which is better would require almost laboratory conditions or quality control measures to limit the effect of variables .
A very nice lens collection to be sure .

Hmmm , the Vivitar 90mm f2.5 looks interesting ..
What aperture settings did you run ?
Were they all the same ?
I have a friend with the Tamron 90mm - very good lens!!! With respect to the lenses in my bag I would not hesitate interchanging it with the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 (i.e. for its sharpness and AF capabilities) if I could not find the Pentax 100mm lens.

With regards to aperture setting, everything was set at f5.6 (if I closed it down I would expect more sharpness but not be able to examine 'bokeh' qualities). I note your photo is very sharp and what I would expect from the tamron, but in fairness, it was also closed down a long way (and you used flash?). Perhaps that is another series of tests to undertake (macro performance with flash).

10-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I agree, re: stopping down. this is why I tried to stay as open as possible (without being silly). All my lenses were set at f=5.6.

Sorry, three other variables controlled. All shots taken from a tripod, RAW images taken, jpeg export from iPhoto.

In review I now have a new order of merit, one that I am far more confident in. It is:

1. SMC Pentax A* 200mm f4 (for reasons of sharpness, colour and bokeh)
2. Vivitar 90mm f2.5 'Bokina' (its contrast and colour was not as good straight from the camera)
3. SMC Pentax 50mm f2.8 (I am biased - not much between this and the next lens. In saying that it was not far behind the Vivitar 90mm)
4. Vivitar 100mm f2.8 (relegated to fourth as I am biased but in reality very good)
5. Sigma 70mm f2.8 (bokeh was a little clumsy, sharpness just a touch off - but not by much (perhaps it is contrast))
6. SMC Pentax 100mm f4 (sharpness was poorest of them all)

So there you have it. I will 'cull' the last three lenses after I receive the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 leaving me with my 'ultimate collection' of macro lenses.

As Digitalis mentioned each is a tool in the box, each having its own purpose. And so, with that in mind, the 'best macro' of choice should be determined its prowess AND its intended use. For example, chasing butterflies with a SMC Pentax F 50mm f2.8 is probably a bad match .....

---------- Post added 10-05-14 at 10:37 AM ----------

I have a friend with the Tamron 90mm - very good lens!!! With respect to the lenses in my bag I would not hesitate interchanging it with the SMC Pentax F 100mm f2.8 (i.e. for its sharpness and AF capabilities) if I could not find the Pentax 100mm lens.

With regards to aperture setting, everything was set at f5.6 (if I closed it down I would expect more sharpness but not be able to examine 'bokeh' qualities). I note your photo is very sharp and what I would expect from the tamron, but in fairness, it was also closed down a long way (and you used flash?). Perhaps that is another series of tests to undertake (macro performance with flash).
The color and contrast of Tokina 90mm 2.5 is better than Vivitar 90mm 2.5 due to the coating. Tamron 90mm is also a legendary lens. Based on the photodo, the MTF looks like:

Tokina 90mm: Weighted MTF 90 mm: f2.5 0.77 | f4 0.85 | f8 0.87
Pentax F50mm: Weighted MTF 50mm: f2.8 0.82 | f4 0.85 | f8 0.87
Tamron 90mm: Weighted MTF 90mm: f2.8 0.79 | f4 0.83 | f8 0.84
Pentax A200mm Macro: Weighted MTF 200 mm: f4 0.81 | f8 0.85
10-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The color and contrast of Tokina 90mm 2.5 is better than Vivitar 90mm 2.5 due to the coating. Tamron 90mm is also a legendary lens. Based on the photodo, the MTF looks like:

Tokina 90mm: Weighted MTF 90 mm: f2.5 0.77 | f4 0.85 | f8 0.87
Pentax F50mm: Weighted MTF 50mm: f2.8 0.82 | f4 0.85 | f8 0.87
Tamron 90mm: Weighted MTF 90mm: f2.8 0.79 | f4 0.83 | f8 0.84
Pentax A200mm Macro: Weighted MTF 200 mm: f4 0.81 | f8 0.85
I was thinking that. The Tokina is much more expensive and, anyhow, I now that PP in photoshop makes the 'differences' negligible (i.e. boost contrast and tweek a few things here and there).

It is a tight race for honours on the MTF scores ..... not much in it at all. This is when one has to look at other factors such as working distance to work out what is
'your' best lens. As evident by my collection I am indecisive ..... DOH
10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I was thinking that. The Tokina is much more expensive and, anyhow, I now that PP in photoshop makes the 'differences' negligible (i.e. boost contrast and tweek a few things here and there).

It is a tight race for honours on the MTF scores ..... not much in it at all. This is when one has to look at other factors such as working distance to work out what is
'your' best lens. As evident by my collection I am indecisive ..... DOH
Agree... My reading for the MTF scores are that all of those lenses are tackle sharp after F5.6. All of them are capable to produce great macro photos...
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Lets have some fun ?
What lens took this picture ?
The tiny little jumping spider is a baby , its maybe 5mm long ( Maybe 4mm actually ) Sorry wasn't able to get the callipers onto it ..
But be assured it was a tiny , little itsy bitsy spider .
What do you get if you guess right , you get to be right !

10-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Lets have some fun ?
The tiny little jumping spider is a baby , its maybe 5mm long ( Maybe 4mm actually ) Sorry wasn't able to get the callipers onto it ..

Tamron 90mm? I saw you posted several photos with this one recently. Otherwise, I guess it Ricoh 50mm + 2x :-)
10-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Move out all ye other Macro lenses, and walk in the legendary LESTER DINE A 105mm Macro Lens. Period. Cost - around USD 300 for a good used copy.
I once had the Promaster Spectrum 7 100mm f3.5 which was about as good as the Tamron 90mm macro.
Regards.
10-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Lets have some fun ?

hahahaha I have no idea (except to say that I know you have a Tamron 90mm)

The 3D effect is nice - certainly pops out. Did you use f16+ and flash?

Sharpness is good but there might be a tad of blue - was it hand held?

Given that the subject moves a lot I suspect you used an autofocusing lens - again I am coming back to the Tamron - so was it a Tamron?

---------- Post added 10-05-14 at 04:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Move out all ye other Macro lenses, and walk in the legendary LESTER DINE A 105mm Macro Lens. Period. Cost - around USD 300 for a good used copy.
I once had the Promaster Spectrum 7 100mm f3.5 which was about as good as the Tamron 90mm macro.
Regards.
I won't argue. The Vivitar 100mm f2.8 tested above is the same as the Lester Dine (at least that is what my research tells me). It fared quite well with the other lenses used but was outside my top 3 (by a whisker)
10-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Ok -
Hand held , + flash ...

Here is the twister ... Nikon D3200 with kit lens ( 18-55 ) and a +8 close focus filter ...

There are 12 photos in all , All had the lens set to manual .

I was actually chasing flies , shinny bright chrome like flies .
Unfortunately none of them would tolerate having a D3200 shoved in their faces ( maybe 7-8cm for focus ) , and then I spotted this very tinny little jumping spider , it was so small ..
But it just posed for me and never for a moment seemed stressed about being photographed ..

Anyhow , is there a point ? ( Im not sure ) , but for $5 you can go and take half decent macro pictures ( Price of a close focus Macro filter ) ...
I don't mind talking about gear , but sometimes I feel the need for a quick reality check .

Don't get me wrong , I love gear ( More Please ) , but I think folks that visit this forum , should realise how inexpensive and still rewarding Macro can be ..
And this Thread was headed skyward with the $ items ..
So I apologise for bringing the $ down a little ...