Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I recently acquired a new K-50 with a couple of kit lenses. In addition, I have a set of Vivitar extension tubes, a Pentax-A 50,, f2.0 lens and a Sigma 28-80 Macro lens. I know that the built in flash will be next to useless for very close subjects and the hot shoe mounted flash that I have will likely be no better. I'm thinking of picking up a ring flash but I have a limited budget of no more than $100. I see all sorts of possibilities at B&H, Amazon and Ebay but I don't want to spend money on something I'll later regret. Does anyone have real hands on experience with low budget flash units? I fully understand that they won't perform the same as a $400 Pentax flash unit so I'm not looking for that sort of commentary. Is there any low-budget unit that will be useful for getting started in this arena?

When I was shooting a lot of Macro, that's when my knees were still good, I used a couple of Kirk Butterfly Flash Brackets. http://www.northcoastphotographer.net/files/kirk_bracket.jpg Then I purchased some cheap no-name brand flash units from eBay with low GN, no more than GN=15 and attached the flash unit to the bracket with an off camera sync cord.

Since the flash bracket was very flexible you could hit your subject from any angle with light, but not the over-powering light that you get from Dedicated system flashes. According to a famous Nature photographer(I forget his name) who actually invented the Butterfly Flash Bracket before Kirk started marketing it, angled light meaning light coming from above and slightly to the side is much more pleasing and natural looking for small insects and small animals than Ring Light which often renders them flat.

Later I would purchased a couple of Nikon SB15 flash units because they had TTL and you could turn the power down if you had to. I'm not sure if Kirk still sells the Butterfly Flash Bracket, but maybe you can use something like a Gorilla Flash bracket http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/flexible-gorilla-duo-flash-mount-mini-b...orting.308280/ that might just give you the same effect and is probably cheaper.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 01-04-2015 at 06:15 PM.
01-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
There appears to be a bewildering array of different options available on ebay - it's hard to know which bits will work and which won't ( because I'm not really familiar with flash gadgets ).

I'm specifically talking about the brackets, flash adapter, swivel, etc.

Any descriptions of parts and/or links to ebay items you can provide would be appreciated.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/284846-flash-macro.html

Here you go : Thread was started for you ...
01-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Here you go : Thread was started for you ...
Awesome - many thanks!