Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 03:35 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Macro with Q & enlarger lens

EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 probably at 5.6 both

This summer I started to make my macro with Pentax Q (first camera from this series - just Q). The big plus of the Q system is much bigger depth of field compared to DSLR and the crop factor (3,7 for my camera compared to APS-C). It is of course also portable. This statement is true as long as you adpapt smaller lenses.

That's why I bought a EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 enlarger lens which works realy good. The whole setup consists of M39 to M42 adpater, M42 variable extension ring (otherwise it would be not possible to adjust focus/magnification ratio), M42 - K adapter, homemade K to Q adapter, 2 small cheap chinese video led lamps, lens and the camera.

The EL-Nikkor was cheap (20 CAD plus overseas shipment) is small and significantly sharper compared to the lenses I tested before.

11-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any details on the homemade adapter?could you post pictures of the camera setup?
11-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My adapter is homemade, but you can buy a genuine Pentax one or a generic one - this is not the most important piece of this equipment. I can post equipment photo tomorrow.
11-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Any details on the homemade adapter?could you post pictures of the camera setup?
I was curious about the homemade adapter, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
My adapter is homemade, but you can buy a genuine Pentax one or a generic one - this is not the most important piece of this equipment. I can post equipment photo tomorrow.
Neat! I look forward to those. In any case, I like these images, and the color and detail in them is just stellar.

11-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
I like these images, and the color and detail in them is just stellar.
Thank you! I'm still learning how to use this setup and I'm also not so familliar with macro. I'm sure that much better results are also possible.
11-09-2014, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
The key to enlarger lens is using a helicoid tube (Either an old pentax M42 one or a model equivalent). To do this you need a low profiled custom built adapter. Essentially glue a D mount to Q adapter on a female M42 thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post2941563
You can see in the previous post on this link Piotrek K is getting great results with his Nikkor. I am very pleased with the various enlarger lens that I have tried but his results tempt me to get a Nikkor.
The same setup is great for other M42 lens too-- it is like having an inbuilt Macro facility- the only negetive I can think of is that it can focus past infinity but that is not a biggy-- just sometimes confusing.
For the record I have never had the glue fail - if that was an issue you would be being far too rough on your gear.