Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you haul your assembled macro rig in the field?

Hi all,

So this has been nagging at me for a while. I do macro either in the backyard or on photo walks, most often in a series of "nature parks" in the Montreal area. However, once I assemble my macro rig - say, for example, the K-01, Tamron 90, a Raynox, the wireless flash transmitter, the horizontal flash doodad, the flash and the diffuser - the whole thing becomes both rather bulky and somewhat fragile. While on a photo walk, I can't just shove the assembled rig back into my photo pack. It won't fit, and it's too fragile. In fact, even the flash with the diffuser on it won't fit.

But I like to be able to shoot with minimal delay if/when we (I'm usually with my wife) spot critters. Since these walks are NOT day-long hikes on mountainous terrain, but rather 1-3 hour long relaxed jaunts on mostly flat ground, I've mostly resorted to splitting the whole thing in two :

1) K-01 + lens + Raynox + wireless transmitter
2) horizontal flash doodad + flash + diffuser.

The flash part travels in one hand, and the camera is either in the other, or back in the pack if it's small enough. Still, that's not super convenient.

So, my question to you all is: is there a better way? How do you carry your assembled macro rig while walking around in the field?

11-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During my project this summer looking for bumblebees in a few prairie sections I just used my K5, FA100 macro and GPS module. The OGPS-1 was vital for me to geotag the subjects.
I am looking at mounting a flash on an L bar or just a plate and use the sync wire to control that - the hotshoe is taken.

I carry my camera with a sling strap, though of course most of the time I'm holding the rig ready, often covering the lens with my hand to help prevent pollen etc. from settling too much.
11-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't tried a sling strap, but do you think if you added an L-bracket, flash cable, flash and diffuser to your setup, that you could still hang all of that from the sling strap? I would think it would become unwieldy to walk with all of that hanging from you. In my case, I'd also be worried about the camera's hotshoe, as it seems that it would be taking a lot of stress while I'm walking and the whole thing dangles...

Addendum: unrelated to my query, but here's a thread on using flash with the O-GPS1.

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-10-2014 at 09:28 AM.
11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I carry all my lenses and camera with lens attached in my backpack. When I arrive at the place I'm going to shoot, having driven there, I assemble the rest of the equipment, flash if I'm going to use the AF360FGZ. Most of the time I use the onboard flash, no diffuser, and ev value set to -.07.

11-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I haven't tried a sling strap, but do you think if you added an L-bracket, flash cable, flash and diffuser to your setup, that you could still hang all of that from the sling strap? I would think it would become unwieldy to walk with all of that hanging from you. In my case, I'd also be worried about the camera's hotshoe, as it seems that it would be taking a lot of stress while I'm walking and the whole thing dangles...

Addendum: unrelated to my query, but here's a thread on using flash with the O-GPS1.
The sling is, to me, the most secure way to carry a camera. I'm not a fan of neck straps, that's plain uncomfortable. But with a lot of rig, you'll be carrying it most of the time. The OGPS-1 doesn't stress the hotshoe at all, it's very light. BUT I don't know if a plate would be compatible with my strap, which attaches via the tripod lug. This is all to be determined.

I'd think something like a speedlight - simple, maybe diffused, used for fill would be the way to go with macro. Perhaps a ring flash - but maybe that's not the optimum for my work.
11-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My rig is camera, plus extension tubes and lens, and my sunpak dx-8r ring flash which is rather heavy and bulky. I use this, works great for me.

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling