Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I had a Tamron 70-300 Macro - with the macro switch - and yes, it also was quite useful zoomed out as a 300mm macro. A little tricky, but not too bad. I have that lens, and should sell it, I don't use it anymore. It did get some good insect shots from about 7 feet away or so...
From what I hear it's a toss up between that and the Sigma, I'd probably go for the one I could get cheapest.

12-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #17

If a manual focus is not an issue, I suggest SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F4. Handy zoom, macro lens, and really well built. This is my go to lens for 30+ years for both film and digital. You can find additional information on this lens SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F4 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database and others using Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.
Hope you find a lens soon and get to take wonderful pictures!
12-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmm.. I thought I posted in this thread.... I must have clicked off the page before I posted.

You didn't say how old your son is... but my guess is you want the Sigma 70-300. It does 1-2 macro...is a decent lens from 70-180mm, a little rough from 200-300 compared to my DA* 60-250 but at 1/10 the price, you can't complain.

I'd have to go with Norm on this one. I have the lens he's speaking of and, although mine is the manual focus variety, it's excellent. The macro feature works remarkable well for a lens of this focal length range, too.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #19

I have an old MF version of the Tamron SP 2.8 90mm. From time to time, I see a bluish spot in the image center. Does anyone know why this happening?
Regards
Jens Bladt, Denmark

12-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I have an old MF version of the Tamron SP 2.8 90mm. From time to time, I see a bluish spot in the image center. Does anyone know why this happening?
Regards
Jens Bladt, Denmark
Could be light reflecting of something internal in the lens. You might want to start your own thread, post some examples including the settings used (aperture in particular) and if any filters were on. You might also want to compare settings of your photos that have the dot with those that don't (especially look at the aperture).
12-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm's suggestion of the 70-300 is probably a good one. (Nice photos btw mate.)

I reckon when shooting 1:2 from long range with a lens like that, you are usually going to need a tripod.
Mind you, I generally use a tripod for most of my macro stuff with the 90mm lens anyway.

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 08:17 AM ----------

Incidentally, my first foray into macro photography was with my Sun 35-200 macro zoom on my K2 film camera. Oh the memories.......
12-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
Norm's suggestion of the 70-300 is probably a good one. (Nice photos btw mate.)

I reckon when shooting 1:2 from long range with a lens like that, you are usually going to need a tripod.
Mind you, I generally use a tripod for most of my macro stuff with the 90mm lens anyway.

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 08:17 AM ----------

Incidentally, my first foray into macro photography was with my Sun 35-200 macro zoom on my K2 film camera. Oh the memories.......
Thanks, if you own a lens for 10 years, you should have a few good images taken with it. I still use it from time to time. The last time just a few weeks ago.

Honestly, for $144, how do you top this?

12-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #23

The Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro is pretty fantastic.
12-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
The Sigma EX DG 70mm Macro is pretty fantastic.
Yep. That was on my list when I was looking for a macro lens. Harder to find second hand than the 90mm Tamron and more expensive as a result.
Brand new they are in the ballpark of each other.
12-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Regards
Jens Bladt, Denmark

Apparently light reflected off the sensor back against the lens ... Old enough to be for 35mm Film ( The lens )
For me the cure was a 2x tele converter .. Vivitar 70 - 200 matched if memory serves .

Not all tele converters work , I have a few ..
12-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Apparently light reflected off the sensor back against the lens ... Old enough to be for 35mm Film ( The lens )
For me the cure was a 2x tele converter .. Vivitar 70 - 200 matched if memory serves .

Not all tele converters work , I have a few ..
I've never noticed this issue with any of my SMC K M or A lenses, or my Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro. The Tamron is the one between Photodana's original version and the newest 'digital' coatings version. I guess mine could have better coatings on the rear element than the first version????
12-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Very noticeable with flash and small aperture ...
I have the Tamron 90mm BBAR and I get the dot . ( less tele converter )
12-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by byrdieep Quote
My son says he wants a macro lens for his K200D. He doesn't know more than that. He likes to take close up pics of nature type stuff... like water flowing over a rock. I'm as a LOSS. Please give me some advice re what length, brand, etc... He has a telephoto and a regular lens. I don't have $600 to spend...
Thanks! Struggling Mom.
What is his regular lens? It may be as simple as some extension tubes to enable closeup with it. It means manual exposure etc tho, so some lens are less than ideal. That would be a minimal cost and open a whole new world to him.
Amazon.com: Macro Extension Tube Ring For Pentax K Mount K100D K200D K110D: Camera & Photo.
And don't discount 50mm-- it does fine and can have advantages when using a flash.
SMC Pentax A 50mm F1 7 Prime Lens K Mount DSLR Cameras Mint | eBay
If he is learning this is good entry level stuff.
Damn good macro can be achieved on a budget.
And a lens like that is superb for learning more about photography.
If you had funds left over a ringflash would be next for me.
12-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What is his regular lens? It may be as simple as some extension tubes to enable closeup with it. It means manual exposure etc tho, so some lens are less than ideal. That would be a minimal cost and open a whole new world to him.
Amazon.com: Macro Extension Tube Ring For Pentax K Mount K100D K200D K110D: Camera & Photo.
And don't discount 50mm-- it does fine and can have advantages when using a flash.
SMC Pentax A 50mm F1 7 Prime Lens K Mount DSLR Cameras Mint | eBay
If he is learning this is good entry level stuff.
Damn good macro can be achieved on a budget.
And a lens like that is superb for learning more about photography.
If you had funds left over a ringflash would be next for me.

Great advice, GUB! Far too often, the first thing a member suggests is a lens that is VERY expensive. A $200+ lens can be way out of the ball park for some of us. Especially when something like an inexpensive extension tube or reversing ring will accomplish what is needed. Not to say that the person asking for advice CAN'T afford a $200+ lens..... just sayin'.....

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hmmmm .. Those tubes are terrible ( Sorry ) ...
You want tubes with aperture levers ...
Another option is a tele macro adapter + a cheap 50mm lens .. These combinations can compete with dedicated Macro lenses every day of the week .. ( Can ! ) But require some knowledge of just what to buy ,,
Im not sure how many tubes are out there ( Good ones ) , but there has been a shortage off late , and they tend to be expensive ..

A set of close focus filters could work wonders , very cost effective depending on what lenses are available ... ( 18-55 Kit lens loves close focus filters )
Another lens that seems to like them , 80-200 Pentax , I just tried one the other day with a +2 CF and it worked very well .. Surprisingly well ..
Unfortunately that lens is destined to be **** with a .** ******* ( Its a faulty lens that only works properly @ 80mm ) and it has large dust particles inside that can be seen in photos , so the lens has a destiny to fulfil .

But lets not forget that often the best path is the simplest path , Tubes - Tele Macro adapters - Zoom lenses ..
I think one of the most important issues people have skirted is the actual budget , and skill level of the person with the camera ..

Cheapest Macro option is CLose focus filters , followed by Chinese Budget Tubes , followed by Tele Macro Adapter , Followed by Cheap Lens with close focus capability , followed by a Budget Macro Lens , and then the sky is the limit ...
I would guess that the sky is the limit option is out ..

That leaves us with a few other options ..
Which to the skilled and experienced may seem like simple options but to the average person my seem like a bit of mumbo jumbo ..
Do we know what equipment is currently available ? ( Owned ) ... As in lenses ?
All this advice Im afraid is all a little pie in the sky . ( So to speak )

Maybe we should be asking questions rather than giving advice ?

( ?? )