Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

14 Year Old Photographer Needs Help on Products for Macro Photography

Hi there! I am a 14 year old photographer who invested in Pentax, and now I want to explore macro photography, and I need help purchasing a macro lens / extension tubes / macro filters.

I use the Pentax K-3, and I have about $150 to invest in Macro photography. I have no idea on what to do. I hear extension tubes are good, but could I get an old macro lens that would be better? As I said, I have $150 to spend, which means I probably won't be able to buy and AF lens.

Does anyone have any suggestions on macro options? Like, are extension tubes good enough, or should I invest in a manual focus macro lens? Of course, the faster, sharper ect. lens would be preferred.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

-Matt

12-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, and congratulations on your K-3! It's possible to achieve high magnification at high quality for pretty low cost. If that sounds too good to be true, it comes at the cost of convenience and versatility. But it's well worth exploring this route, especially given your budget.

I would start with a lens you can use for normal photography as well as for macro. Depending on what magnification range you want, simplest would be a fully-manual macro lens, such as the Pentax-M 50/4. These can be had for under US$100. However, this lens only goes to 1:2 magnification, that is, half life size on the sensor. Put another way, at 1:2 you would fill the frame with a subject about 2 inches on the long side. To get to 1:1 with that lens, you could add 50mm of extension, or you could reverse it (with a reversing ring).

Another way to go would be a non-macro lens, plus extension and/or reversal. A 28mm manual prime will get you very high magnification if you reverse it, particularly if you add some extension. Or you could try a 50mm non-macro prime. The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a great lens, cheap, and works really well reversed.

Lots of options for you, even within your budget, so best to start by thinking about what subjects interest you most, and what shooting situations you expect.

And be sure to read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
12-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

What kind of macro are you most interested in? As baro-nite says, there are many options. My favorite kind of macro photography is fairly large insects - butterflies, dragon- & damselflies, garden spiders, etc., and I use a 100/3.5 macro lens, which seems to suit the subject matter very well.
12-20-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Woodepic Quote
Hi there! I am a 14 year old photographer who invested in Pentax, and now I want to explore macro photography, and I need help purchasing a macro lens / extension tubes / macro filters.

I use the Pentax K-3, and I have about $150 to invest in Macro photography. I have no idea on what to do. I hear extension tubes are good, but could I get an old macro lens that would be better? As I said, I have $150 to spend, which means I probably won't be able to buy and AF lens.

Does anyone have any suggestions on macro options? Like, are extension tubes good enough, or should I invest in a manual focus macro lens? Of course, the faster, sharper ect. lens would be preferred.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

-Matt
Extension tubes are great but it then boils down to what lens you have to put on the end.
To me the definition of a macro lens is two things.;
A) The ability to physically extend the optics far enough to focus a close up item, and extension tubes do just that.
B) Optics tuned to better perform in a close up situation - and in most situations a standard lens does this fine. (and if reversed a standard lens performs more like a dedicated macro.)
I am guessing that you have the kit zooms with the K3.
So my suggestion is yes get some K mount tubes and invest in an old A or M series 50mm f1.7 lens. This and a lens reversing adapter would still leave some change from your $150 to get perhaps a cheap ringflash.

12-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

I'd like to add that if your camera came with a "DA" lens that lens cannot be used with extension tubes since it has no aperture ring. Autofocus is really not useful when doing macro anyway (you focus my moving your rig back and forth), so as the baro-nite said, go find a good manual fixed focal length lens, then add extension tubes to the kit for a start. Note that the longer focal length of the lens the more extension you need for a given magnification, which is why a 50 mm lens might be preferable to, say, a 100 mm lens in your case.

Some extension tubes allow the camera to stop down the lens. They are convenient, but also more expensive. Simple all-manual extension tubes may be fine for a start. You'll have to focus with the lens wide open (or else the viewfinder is too dark for judging focus) and then stop it down manually by turning the aperture ring.
12-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. I got an FA100 Macro for just a bit more than your budget. It's not going to get you the extreme magnification that tubes + a reversed 50mm lens will get you but it does have the benefit of being simplier to use and having AF.
SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F3.5 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Another option is one of the older F zoom lenses with Macro settings. The F35-70 is a terrific little lens and has the added benefit of having a macro setting. Again, its not going to get you the extreme magnification that tubes + a reversed 50mm lens will get you but they tend to cost around $50 when you find them on eBay and other places used.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-35-70mm-F3.5-4.5-Macro-Zoom-Lens.html

F35-105: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-35-105mm-F4-5.6-Macro-Zoom-Lens.html

F35-135: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-35-135mm-F3.5-3.5-Macro-Zoom-Lens.html
12-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You'll have to focus with the lens wide open (or else the viewfinder is too dark for judging focus) and then stop it down manually by turning the aperture ring.
Or use Liveview and contrast detect -- no need to have the lens wide open to focus.

12-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is great Matt. What lenses do you have available to you already? In particular, have you got access to any primes?
12-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You get the Cosina 100/3.5 macro lens. That's it. It's available in many brands, including Pentax and Vivtar. It's also available in MF and AF versions. Price range is generally between $60 and $150, depending on which one you get (the Pentax (FA100/3.5 macro) may run higher - probably not worth it if so). I have the Vivitar AF version. It originally came with a 1:1 adapter (all of them did, I think), although I don't use my adapter often. But you should be aware of this when shopping, as you may want to go to 1:1 sometimes.

You can get better macros, but I sold everything between it and the D FA 100 WR macro, because the others didn't give me enough improvement relative to the extra $ I had to spend.

Last edited by DSims; 12-20-2014 at 06:09 PM.
12-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What DSims said. This is the one he is referring to:
Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report
There are both manual focus and autofocus versions. Most people use MF for macro anyway, so that might be a good way to save a little.

I was thinking of a prime to use with extension tubes or lens reversal, but if you can get a good dedicated macro lens like this within budget, it is a lot less mucking around.

That Cosina will do double duty as a useful medium telephoto - candid portraits etc. It would be lots of fun.
12-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I will toss in a couple of my opinions on the matter as well

A 50mm lens put on backwards gives about a 1:1 macro... a 28mm put on backwards is about 3:1... which means the 28mm put on with a reverse ring gives you a whole lot more "zoom" to get in close on very very small objects. This is not even talking about using extension tubes. I personally would lay off the tubes for now until you get the hang of it...nothing wrong with tubes but you will be more informed about what you like and don't like if you just try a little first.

Another aspect of macro that is probably the most problematic for most people is getting enough light on the subject without creating all kinds of weird shadows. If you are down in the dirt taking pictures of spiders or whatever you will need to stop down to a small aperture (big f number=small aperture) which will drastically cut your light especially at faster shutter speeds. Even 1/40 sometimes will come out so dark...

People have come up with all sorts of ways people creatively use their flash. There is a thread around here somewhere that I will try to find that shows how people are setting up so they can get the best light on your target.

EDIT:
Look at the pictures here to see how other people are doing their lighting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/261899-our-macro-rigs.html

Last edited by alamo5000; 12-20-2014 at 10:44 PM.
12-21-2014, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

First of all - What lens - lenses do you currently own ?
There are so many ways to Macro , I wont bore you with any advice as yet ..
Please let us know what lenses you have .. Then perhaps offer some advice ..

Your budget is $150 , lets try and spend it wisely ..

This is what $5 can do for you:

Last edited by old4570; 12-21-2014 at 02:08 AM.
12-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Extension tubes are great but it then boils down to what lens you have to put on the end.
To me the definition of a macro lens is two things.;
A) The ability to physically extend the optics far enough to focus a close up item, and extension tubes do just that.
B) Optics tuned to better perform in a close up situation - and in most situations a standard lens does this fine. (and if reversed a standard lens performs more like a dedicated macro.)
I am guessing that you have the kit zooms with the K3.
So my suggestion is yes get some K mount tubes and invest in an old A or M series 50mm f1.7 lens. This and a lens reversing adapter would still leave some change from your $150 to get perhaps a cheap ringflash.
Well, I do actually have the 18-135 WR, 55-300 WR, a Pentax-A 50mm f2, a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, and a Pentax-M 135mm f3.5

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I'd like to add that if your camera came with a "DA" lens that lens cannot be used with extension tubes since it has no aperture ring. Autofocus is really not useful when doing macro anyway (you focus my moving your rig back and forth), so as the baro-nite said, go find a good manual fixed focal length lens, then add extension tubes to the kit for a start. Note that the longer focal length of the lens the more extension you need for a given magnification, which is why a 50 mm lens might be preferable to, say, a 100 mm lens in your case.

Some extension tubes allow the camera to stop down the lens. They are convenient, but also more expensive. Simple all-manual extension tubes may be fine for a start. You'll have to focus with the lens wide open (or else the viewfinder is too dark for judging focus) and then stop it down manually by turning the aperture ring.
Awesome thanks! I do have a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4, and a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5. What do you suggest using these? Should I still go for the 50mm f/4 macro, and just use extension tubes to make it 1:1?

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This is great Matt. What lenses do you have available to you already? In particular, have you got access to any primes?
Yes I do actually! I have a 50mm M 1.4, and a 135mm M 3.5. I do actually have a 50mm A f/2 but I am selling it on kijiji.
12-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Woodepic Quote
Well, I do actually have the 18-135 WR, 55-300 WR, a Pentax-A 50mm f2, a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4, and a Pentax-M 135mm f3.5

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 09:07 AM ----------

Awesome thanks! I do have a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4, and a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5. What do you suggest using these? Should I still go for the 50mm f/4 macro, and just use extension tubes to make it 1:1?
A reversal ring and the 50/1.4 should do well and get you started. The advantage to the 50 macro is its flatter plane - less distortion. The downside is that its 1:2 not 1:1.
12-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have anything in the way of flashes? Tripods?

What sort of subjects are you interested in? Living, moving stuff? Static things?