Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New to Macro : I need your advice!

So I'm new to the DSLR world, and especially new to the concept of Macro Photography.
BUT, I love seeing all the macro shots posted here and I would really like to get into it (if my budget allows).

Currently my gear is very limited:
18-135mm WR
Rikenon 50mm M 1.7
Cheapo tripod
wired shutter remote
Just bought a set of extension tubes off Amazon (7mm, 14mm, 28mm)

So my questions are:
Should I invest in a lens such as a 100mm F4 Macro (manual lens to go with the tubes?)
Or are the tubes not going to do much for that lens? I've read that the tubes will suck the light out of the already slow lens, and at only 49mm of extension, I still wouldn't get 1:1.

A true 1:1 lens is out of budget right now...
So would the 50mm 1.7 I have create decent shots with the 49mm of extension I have shipping to me right now?

I'll be sure to post results once they come in. Just wanna know what my next few steps should be.
I'd love it if I could afford the 100mm 2.8 WR Macro and a true ring flash to accompany it, but sadly I'm just an enthusiast looking to expand his hobby piece by piece.
Maybe one day I will justify such a purchase...

Thanks for any and all advice you may have.

02-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plenty of great threads.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/288412-look...ggestions.html

Are you doing static subjects? Lighting will probably be your biggest concern, as you already know.
02-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just so you know, the Pentax 100mm f4 isn't 1:1 it's 1:2. But there others you can get. I have Tamron Adaptall 90mm M f2.8 that is 1:1 and it can be had somewhat cheaply. Of course there are many options for getting started into Macro. I started out using closeup filters, then advanced to using a Raynox DCR adapter.

There is also another thread on this forums about using many different types of lenses, adapter and closeup filters. When I find it, I'll post a link.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/262296-macro-any-means-possible.html

Last edited by photolady95; 02-12-2015 at 07:35 AM.
02-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What I'd do: get a flash (Yongnuo YN-560 IV, if you don't mind manual) and a k-mount reversing ring, and use the 50mm reversed, by itself and on combinations of extension tubes. Total: less than $100. I don't have the 18-135, but it's said to vignette pretty heavily with a Raynox, and I wouldn't think it'd be much better with a 50 on top, but worth a try too, I guess.

EDIT: If you're really short on budget, get a used AF200T as your flash... Won't be as usable for non-macro work, but can be had for around $25.

02-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The cheapest way for you to get much more magnification right now would be to get a reversing ring for a few bucks on the 'bay and reverse mount the 50 to the front of your zoom, which will take you to 2:1 and beyond.
Is reversing a lens a real thing?!

That just sounds like an incredible easy way to get dust inside your lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Just so you know, the Pentax 100mm f4 isn't 1:1 it's 1:2. But there others you can get. I have Tamron Adaptall 90mm M f2.8 that is 1:1 and it can be had somewhat cheaply. Of course there are many options for getting started into Macro. I started out using closeup filters, then advanced to using a Raynox DCR adapter.

There is also another thread on this forums about using many different types of lenses, adapter and closeup filters. When I find it, I'll post a link.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/262296-macro-any-means-possible.html

Thanks!
I've looked into Raynox adapters incase I get a 55-300mm WR down the road...

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Plenty of great threads.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/288412-look...ggestions.html

Are you doing static subjects? Lighting will probably be your biggest concern, as you already know.
You've been a huge help in all my posts!
Thanks again!

Going back to an old post now: Would I still be better off with a 55-300mm WR with a Raynox 150 compared to the 100mm F4 Macro with Extension Tubes?

I'm not trying to be a pro Macro shooter or anything, just wanna be able to get some detailed wildlife shots.

I'd probably use the 55-300 more anyways since I already have an 18-135 to cover the 100mm focal length.
And the Raynox 150 could be used with the 50mm 1.7 and extension tubes?

DSLR on a budget is complicated man!
If only I could just buy dedicated lenses for each aspect of shooting, lol.
02-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Extension will reduce the effective f stop--but it is true whether the lens can extend on its own or you add the tubes. I.e., whether the lens allows m=1, or it is done with tubes makes no difference.
02-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You should be able to practice macro with your Rikenon 50mm and one or two extension tubes but without a flash it will be difficult except if you plan to shoot wide open.
Interesting macro shots are often made at about F/8, a flash is compulsory in this case.

Years ago, I started macro using my 18-55mm lens and a simple magnifying glass, it was not so bad but I had lots of CA.

Last edited by tryphon4; 02-13-2015 at 12:47 AM.
02-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the body flash won't suffice I'm assuming since everyone is talking about accessory lighting...?

So are RingLights/ RingFlashes worth looking into?
There are cheap ones (LED) on Amazon

Or should I look into a TTL?

Thanks again everyone!
02-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would get a couple of cheap 2x extenders and remove the glass. You can use them as tubes for the 50mm lens, and they will have aperture control. If the ones you got from amazon are the cheap tubes they will not have aperture control and will be a pain to use. You will need light, try a used pentax AF280T, it has a tilt down head that works great for macro. You will probably need to diffuse it with something like tissues.
02-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Is reversing a lens a real thing?!
Sure it is.

But if you have some lens budget, then a zoom plus Raynox adapters makes for a much more flexible, convenient set-up, especially if you're just starting out with macro. Either a 50-200mm or a 55-300mm would work well, with either Raynox 150 or 250.

EDIT: You can also start with onboard flash if you want, and make your own DIY Pringles-can diffuser. It's not bad, but you'll soon yearn for more power...
02-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a 100mm in the field chasing bees. Sometimes it's tough enough to get shots at that FL, if everything is moving around. I don't think I'd play around with tubes in addition.
I have not played with the add-on lenses, some have pretty good luck with those diopter type lenses though.
02-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The 50/1.7 plus extension tubes will give you a start and feel for macro. That combination will give you a rather
short working distance and very shallow depth of field and a lot of instruction on where to go next, (better lighting,
dedicated macro lens and if so, what kind of macro, better tripod/head, etc).

IMO, you'll likely find the working distance/DOF/lighting a real challenge with that setup. The SMC M 100/4 Macro
will solve the first two issues, and help a bit with the third, and is one of the more affordable macro lenses you
can find.

For the moment, I'd suggest doing what you can with sunlit subjects while you get a feel for working macro.
Then worry about lighting.
02-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Very real:

School Of Digital Photography: Stacking Lenses with Coupling Rings for Extreme Macro Photography

As far as the dust concern goes, a quick wipe with a pec-pad and shot with a rocket blower will keep any dust from getting into your camera off the rear of the lens. You are unlikely to get any more dust inside the lens than you would using it the normal way. And remember, old primes like that aren't sealed anyway, and dust is a natural phenomenon with them and doesn't affect image quality in any appreciable way. Your rikenon has two lens cells that are pretty much sealed - the only place the dust might go would be onto the surfaces between the cells adjacent the aperture. If dust got really bad, it's simply a matter of unscrewing the back cell from the lens (a 10 second job) and blowing out the interior with a rocket blower.
Interesting...

So just humor me for a minute or two:

Let's say I were to add the 49mm of extension tubes to the body, attach the 100mm F4 Macro, then reverse the 50mm 1.7...
We're talking a massive amount of "stuff" on the business end of my K-30, but also a significant magnification (~2.5:1 )

Is this an even logical setup?
Or could I simply skip the 100mm F4 and do the extension tubes with the 50mm reversed for (~1.5:1)?
02-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Interesting...

So just humor me for a minute or two:

Let's say I were to add the 49mm of extension tubes to the body, attach the 100mm F4 Macro, then reverse the 50mm 1.7...
We're talking a massive amount of "stuff" on the business end of my K-30, but also a significant magnification (~2.5:1 )

Is this an even logical setup?
Or could I simply skip the 100mm F4 and do the extension tubes with the 50mm reversed for (~1.5:1)?
Option 1 is almost making a stage microscope...
Option 2 is feasible, I think, but will not be an easy hand-held unit. Worth playing with, though.
02-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Option 1 is almost making a stage microscope...
Option 2 is feasible, I think, but will not be an easy hand-held unit. Worth playing with, though.
We have to get creative when working with alternatives to the 'real thing'..

I'll definitely post photos here in about a week or two when I have all my goodies and can start testing (weather permitting)

^ again, wishing a WR macro lens was in budget ^