Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Vivitar Bellows (T mount) with K5 IIS(?)

Hello,
I just bought a Vivitar Bellows (T mount, not M42) with a SMC Macro Takumar f4 50mm.
How can I use it (hope it's possible) with the pentax k5 IIS? which T mount adapter is the best?
Thanks for your help.

03-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this: Pentax K To T-mount | B&H Photo Video From a quick search, not suggesting either of those.

T-mount adapters are quite simple with no moving parts or electronics. The adapter will screw onto the bellows and then the camera can be attached.

You will need to treat the bellows / lens as fully manual and use stop down metering. See this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html Av mode might work as well but may not be accurate though you could test and adjust.
03-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

On the camera side, you need any standard Pentax T mount adapter (technically T2). They are easy to find on ebay, etc. Most of them have an inner ring held with screws on the outer ring which allows you to adjust the rotational position, which is nice if you use it with actual T-mount lenses. However, since the bellows itself has a little thumbscrew that can be loosened that allows the whole mount to be rotated 360, in this case a single solid piece T-mount adapter will work just fine (they might be slightly cheaper and a little more robust). Just make sure it is an actual Pentax adapter. Sellers often get them mixed up with Nikon adapters.

On the lens side, the Vivitar Bellows (I'm assuming you are talking about the Vivitar Universal Bellows) are t-mount on that side too, so you shouldn't screw your Takumar directly into the bellows even though it will seem to fit. Or if you do, only a couple of turns until you hit any resistance. T-mount is also 42mm, but with a different thread pitch, so don't force m42 lenses in there. You're supposed to be using another adapter on that side from T to whatever lens type. (You can use a K adapter with an m42 adapter in it though). These are much harder to find, as it is a non-standard adapter only used for T-mount bellows. There are also T-mount reversing rings available to mount the lens backwards for ultra-macro. Did your bellows come with an adapter for the lens side?
03-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

I'd recommend buying a T2-mount adapter that is marked made in Japan such as those sold under the Kalt brand name. I bought a Vivitar branded adapter that was made in India. The quality was terrible - very rough machining and finish. It would not thread on to any of my T-mount lenses. The Chinese made adapters aren't much better in quality.

03-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so much Jatrax and vonBaloney !, @vonBaloney: The Takumar M42 lens fit perfect on the bellow, without T-mount adapter, so it's a M42 mount on this part.First I thought that it was also a M42 mount on the camera part , but it's definitely T-mount as you say ( I tried to use my M42 adapter for pentax K without "success") (
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There are also T-mount reversing rings available to mount the lens backwards for ultra-macro
. Really?, I didn't know. I will try to find one too. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 03-17-15 at 05:11 PM ----------

Thanks "Not a Number". yes, I agree, I bought an original Pentax M42 adapter, and it works just perfect.
03-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WONOW Quote
Thank you so much Jatrax and vonBaloney !, @vonBaloney: The Takumar M42 lens fit perfect on the bellow, without T-mount adapter, so it's a M42 mount on this part.
Well which model bellows is it exactly? I have the "Vivitar Bellows System" and that is definitely T on both sides, and is designed as a universal system so you can get adapters for any camera or lens mount (circa 70s or 80s or whenever it came out). But they have other older models too.

If you only have to worry about the camera side, yeah any T-mount adapter will do, but it is true also that many are badly made.
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

The manual for one of the Vivitar T-mount bellows can be downloaded from here:

Page 75

It may not be the same model though.