Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Minolta macro bellows /Rokkor TC 135mm f4 bellows lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I aquired a while ago a nice Minolta macro bellows with a Rokkor TC 135mm f4 bellows lens. the bellows has a PK adapter for the camera body...

This lens is pretty nice in the fact that it has like 2 aperture rings that allows to see the subject while focusing at small apertures... also it is supposed to allow infinity focus.

I have not found many references on the web about it
this link is the more informative one about the lens: http://http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=18063

So I plan to start playing with this soon, I was wondering if you guys had some tips or recommendation on its use before I do trials and error...

thanks in advance !

Attached Images

04-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crap my ipad doesnt allow to upload 2 images on the same message, so here is the 2nd image
Attached Images

04-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I was wondering if you guys had some tips or recommendation on its use before I do trials and error...

thanks in advance !
The tip is to do trials and learn from the errors. Your lens has two aperture rings because it is has a preset aperture. One ring sets the f-number, the other stops the lens down. Set the desired f/stop and focus with the lens wide open. Rotate the second ring to stop down the lens and make the exposure. Shoot in Av mode for a good estimate of exposure and use exposure comp for fine tuning.

As for the bellows, the top rail is used to set the magnification for macro work. The bottom rail is used for focusing. Yes, you move the entire assembly: camera, lens, and top rail to acquire focus. Attempts to use the top rail for focus will result in mixed results except in the non-close-focus range.

BTW...that is a VERY nice bellows setup.

Steve
04-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #4

The rail with the triangular piece on it is for the slide copier or macro copy stage. If you don't have either of these attachments it is best to remove the rail otherwise it just gets in the way. It moves with the base of the focus rail so it will extend out further. There is a set screw on the bottom of the focus rail that holds this extension in. There is also a little chain for setting the focus distance that is usually missing on used units.

The manual for these bellows can be downloaded here
http://www.cameramanuals.org/minolta_pdf/minolta_bellows_1.pdf

You may want to check to see if that is the Leica mount version with M39 thread the Minolta L-adapter.

Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-14-2015 at 01:25 AM.
04-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. I feel MBA coming on -- I've just had the old SRT 101 serviced.
04-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I've just had the old SRT 101 serviced.
Who did you get to service your Minolta? Terry's Camera Repair out here in California seems to have disappeared. He was the equivalent of Eric Hendrickson - ex-Minolta tech that bought out supplies and test/calibration equipment when Minolta changed hands.
04-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After much searching I settled on John Titterington, in Kansas. AFAICT he doesn't have a website, but he does sell his restored cameras on eBay. His overhaul service includes CLA, replace seals, plus calibrating meter and shutter to work with a modern 1.5v battery. The price is reasonable and his communication is excellent.

I asked him what he specializes in, and this is the list he gave me:
  • Canon A series
  • Minolta SRT and X series
  • Olympus OM 1 series
  • Pentax K series

If the work is as good as I am hoping, I will definitely be spreading the word here on the film sub-forum. I'll have the camera back by the end of the week.

04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Minolta/Rokkor

Coincidentally, I have just started re-using my Minolta X500 and only yesterday dusted off my SRT101 and loaded a roll of film. The Hi-Matic 7S will get a workout soon as well. Great cameras and great Rokkor lenses.
As for the bellows setup, check out The Rokkor Files there may be something there that's useful.

Peter (RHN12).
04-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for all the advices... You rocks!
i'll look into them, this is very much appreciated, and I'll let you know the results !