Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

What extension tubes for K7 + 50mm 1.8 DA

Hello everyone,

I just recently got a second hand K7 with a bunch of pentax lenses (all zooms from the WR range).

So, my first purchase will be a DA 50 1.8, and I would like to get some extension tubes to also use it as macro, to eventually go for a proper macro lens once I improve my technique and what not.

My first question is, is this a good lens to use for this purpose? But the important question is, what extension tubes. I would like to retain metering and lens info, but keeping autofocus would also be nice. I have done many searches and I always end up on Kenko suggestions, but wherever I try to find Kenko AF tubes for Pentax (Amazon, etc.), I just see the Canon and Nikon variants, mostly. Do I have alternatives?

I believe this lens doesn't have a manual aperture ring, so there's that too.

Many thanks for the replies!

04-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the best lens for the purpose because of lack of aperture ring.

No auto focus tubes available afaik.
04-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are some Chinese AF extension tubes, but the quality control is said to be terrible. Alternatively you can remove the glass from a AF tele-converter to get some extension.

A primer on Cheap Macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
04-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd recommend a cheap set of manual tubes, and an old manual M series prime. That's probably the cheapest option!

If you can locate tubes that have the 'a' contacts, they'd work fine with your DA 50.

There are some autofocus extension tubes available (I've got some), however I don't recommend them for lenses without quick shift (such as your DA50). Manual focus is the name of the game with extension tubes, but sadly the autofocus tubes cause too much torque and nasty grinding noises when used with a non quick shift lens.

04-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also suggest an older 50 mm lens w/ aperture ring.And if serious about macro you may as well make it a macro lens now, like the 50mm f/2.8. And a 2x TC (teleconverter) may be needed for small objects that you don't/can't approach closely. A longer FL macro is nice but less convenient for larger flowers, and the like, and is perhaps better invested in once you gain some experience
If you decide to get a non-macro lens w/ aperture ring--the pentax auto tube set is available used and works well--or the Vivitar 2x macro TC which is a TC w/ variable extension. Again a lens w/o aperture ring is very limiting for future add-ons, so if your interest is in macro be forewarned.
04-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You can find the old Pentax-M 50 f4 macro for a good price. It does 1:2 macro on it's on. Then get a cheap 2x teleconverter and remove the glass. The converter is about 25mm, add that with the 50 macro you can get 1:1.
04-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies, lots of great info there!

I'm somewhat wary of manual focus with the stock focusing screen, at least from the MF I've tried to do with the kit lens I have now, so I maybe I'd have to go for something like a Katzeye. In the end when I add it all up I suppose I'll have to choose, if it's close in price to the 90mm Tamron or something similar....decisions!

On to reading all these links fully. Thanks again.

04-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RE:Macro, MF, and SplitScreen

In as much as macro is typically done w/ tripod/bean bag/other support and f/11-f/16, the screen issue is not so huge, and for real macro, there are special screens used--the usual split screen (but not the matte part) is pretty much useless.