Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 02:25 AM   #1

Use of a Canon fd 50mm 1.4?

Hi there!

I just ordered a raynox 150 to play and try to do some proxy/ macro with my fa50 1.7 and eventually my 50 200wr.. I was first tempted by a extension tube, then though I had only that 50mm with an f ring, and that raynox would be more convenient to use, and the af could still get some use for the not so close shots..

Then I recall I had an old canon lens from my father, with f ring too and wich is actually faster. Since some adapters seems to exist for 20ish bucks, could I get some use of that extra light? And eventually used it reversed? (I was not much fond of reversing my fa) I would actually like to give it a second life, and eventually not have to tweak too much my quite fragile and beloved fa50..

05-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Unfortunately, it's not straightforward to use your Canon FD lens on a Pentax body, as the flange focal distance (the distance between lens and film / sensor) is less for Canon than it is for Pentax - and there's no way of mounting the Canon lens any closer to the sensor than the body will allow. There may be an adapter available, I'm not sure, but if there is it would have to incorporate some sort of lens - and that would potentially affect image quality from the lens. I think the adaptors you've seen for 20 bucks or so are probably designed for mounting Pentax lenses on a Canon body, which is a much simpler prospect.

There's been quite a bit of discussion here on this subject before. You can read one of the articles here. Hope this helps.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-17-2015 at 02:48 AM.
05-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Optically corrected adapters are discussed at length here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html

But for macro work you can remove the glass, and it acts like a short extension tube rather than a TC.

Macro on the cheap is explained here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
05-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
ahh i will just try to deglass an adapter, use the raynox on top and see what i can achieve! ty all

05-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

The Fotodiox adapter allows you to remove the correcting lens for macro work. You can then use the lens on extension tubes or bellows. Check eBay too, some of the Chinese suppliers may sell glass-less adapters for macro only.

Or if they make them buy two set of those ultra cheap extension rings - one for Canon FD and one for Pentax. With these rings the front and rear adapter parts have to be screwed onto the rings you are using - instead of 3 rings with bayonets on them three rings with threads only and bayonet adapters with threads to the rings. So you could easily put the Canon adapter on the front and the PK adapter on the back.

Using the lens reversed would not require a mount adapter, just a reverse adapter.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-18-2015 at 09:26 AM.
05-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
allright ! honestly i got lost in the whole extension thing Bought a cheapo adapter from china allready , will see how the deglassing goes when it arrives someday ^^

If i get a bit more serious about macro, i ll probably try to get a decent 150mm+ md mount and keep benefits of the brand new raynox idk... One should figure what i can do with it and the fa 50 this week end anyway