Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Please recommend me a macro lens!

Hello,

I'm fairly new to photography and own a Pentax ME Super. I want to get into macro photography and am wondering if anyone could recommend a good compatible lens (with at least 1:1 magnification).

Thanks!

05-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nearly any model in the 90-105mm range is good - really no poor ones optically and the focus distance is sufficient for bugs and other critters as well as flowers. I have used Tamron 90 f2.5 manual and newer f2.8 AF, the Cosina 100/3.5 (1:2 max, aka Vivitar, Promaster and even Pentax!) and Sigma 105. I also owned the Sigma 50 AF and it was optically excellent, but 35-50mm macros will crowd living things to get near 1:1 reproduction. Many people are fine with that, see reviews of the DA 35/2.8 Limited for proof! The Sigma 70 sits between the two groups and it is also very well regarded.

One common issue with macros is AF speed, which can be slow if a focus limiter is not available. Many other folks prefer manual focus for macros, which saves funds over current models. I've used Pentax-A 50 and 100mm with nice results, but 1:2 max on those without tubes or diopter lens.

I currently await delivery on a manual Sigma 50/2.8 with A-aperture, and will be satisfied with bugs at 1:2 scale Last I looked KEH had an UGly copy of this for $35; I went for a less-ugly auction model and paid about $100.

Edit .. Yup still there! KEH Link

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 05-22-2015 at 12:27 AM.
05-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used the Tamron SP90 F2.5 adaptall with an extension tube on a Canon T90 once, I was not very successful with it due to using it indoors without any extra lighting and my own ignorance of macro, but it has a good reputation. Look in the 3rd party lens reviews.

Extension tubes or reversing a lens, e.g. a 50mm standard lens reversed on an adapter, is a cheap way of getting into Macro Photography. You could always buy a magnifying filter to screw into your lens, cheap and you retain automatic camera functions.

There are lenses that achieve 1:1 or better without these methods, generally more expensive that the Tamron and tube. I suggest you do some research on Macro Photography and glean information from it that might help your choice of lens / method. Take note that if you approach macro from the cheapest approach you will need to bone up on getting the exposure spot on or waste film, the lens proximity to the subject can be a problem.

www.howtogeek.com and other websites can offer help, try "how to enjoy macro photography on the cheap" on your browser for websites that offer some suggestions.
Good luck with the Macro Photography, it is on my "to do" list once I feel I have learned enough about it myself.

05-22-2015, 12:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roshan42 Quote
Hello,

I'm fairly new to photography and own a Pentax ME Super. I want to get into macro photography and am wondering if anyone could recommend a good compatible lens (with at least 1:1 magnification).

Thanks!
Sigma 105 2.8 Macro:-)
05-22-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
Sigma 105 2.8 Macro:-)
I would agree that of those I have used I liked the 105 most of all.
05-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Unfortunately almost all my macro experience is with DA or D-FA lenses.

If the ME super has K-A mount compatibility then it might be able to drive the D-FA 100/2.8, but others could perhaps better advise you on that one before you splash any cash.

I do have a Vivitar 80-200 f/4 + Macro zoom, but it's more of a close-focus thing (1:3.4) and the aperture blades is totally stuffed, so I can't tell you what happens except at f/4 (where the sharpness in focal plane is fine but the DOF is brutally thin).

05-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can buy a 100mm Pentax M F4 Macro ( 1:2 ) for reasonable money .. $80 - $150 depending on variables .
It will get the job done .

There is a lot out there to chose from , the Sigma 50mm F2.8 Manual focus is a 1:1 lens , and is superb . And there is little image loss from going to a 1.5x or 2x tele macro adapter to boost the Sigma .
So many options , if you have an old zoom lens , just ad a +2 to +4 close focus filter to it and go macro for only a few dollars .
05-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
You can buy a 100mm Pentax M F4 Macro ( 1:2 ) for reasonable money .. $80 - $150 depending on variables .
It will get the job done .

There is a lot out there to chose from , the Sigma 50mm F2.8 Manual focus is a 1:1 lens , and is superb . And there is little image loss from going to a 1.5x or 2x tele macro adapter to boost the Sigma .
So many options , if you have an old zoom lens , just ad a +2 to +4 close focus filter to it and go macro for only a few dollars .
I use an M 100/4 macro lens. I have a 50mm extension tube that moves the focus distance to proved ratios between 1:2 and 1:1. Without the extension tube it 1:2 to infinity focus. As the lens is manual only, the tube is the same. You only need a tube with the aperture stop down mechanism in it. This is a relatively inexpensive solution that gives good results.
05-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe you can tell us your interest or subjects you will be taking. Whether you need the longer working distance or not.

still subject, you may not need a longer focal distance but if you are taking sensitive insects, then you may need a longer macro lens tht will give you greater working distance.

For 1:1 magnification lens, there are more than 10 lenses available and all macro lenses produces sharp images.

Prices varies for the 10 difffirent lenses, so depending on how much you wish to spend and your subject of interest.

marcus
05-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+3 for the Sigma 105 F2.8. I'm really liking mine!
05-24-2015, 05:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
Many thanks to everyone for your recommendations and advice! I'll be sure to research the lenses you guys have mentioned. As to my subjects, my primary interest is insects and wildlife.
05-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You definitely want a longer macro lens, in the 100mm range, in that case. With insects you don't want to get close enough to either be stung or to scare the insect away.
05-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Nearly any model in the 90-105mm range is good - really no poor ones optically and the focus distance is sufficient for bugs and other critters as well as flowers. I have used Tamron 90 f2.5 manual and newer f2.8 AF, the Cosina 100/3.5 (1:2 max, aka Vivitar, Promaster and even Pentax!) and Sigma 105. I also owned the Sigma 50 AF and it was optically excellent, but 35-50mm macros will crowd living things to get near 1:1 reproduction. Many people are fine with that, see reviews of the DA 35/2.8 Limited for proof! The Sigma 70 sits between the two groups and it is also very well regarded.

One common issue with macros is AF speed, which can be slow if a focus limiter is not available. Many other folks prefer manual focus for macros, which saves funds over current models. I've used Pentax-A 50 and 100mm with nice results, but 1:2 max on those without tubes or diopter lens.

I currently await delivery on a manual Sigma 50/2.8 with A-aperture, and will be satisfied with bugs at 1:2 scale Last I looked KEH had an UGly copy of this for $35; I went for a less-ugly auction model and paid about $100.

Edit .. Yup still there! KEH Link
I have the Vivitar version of this lens. While it is a "plastic fantastic" and lacks the tactile feel of its more expensive brethren, it is SHARP and not expensive. It is available in manual or auto focus, but for macro work I don't feel AF is needed. If you find one, MAKE CERTAIN that the 1 to 1 adapter is included. This is an achromatic plus lens which screws to the filter threads and takes the usual focus range of the lens, from infinity to 1:2, from 1:2 to 1:1.

Here's the PentaxForums report on the Cosina badge version: Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheapest option there is. Mount it to an M 50/2 and you've got less than $50 invested.

General Brand Reverse Adapter Pentax K to 49mm AV49PK B&H Photo

Last edited by Venturi; 05-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.