Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bee
Posted By: Dewman, 07-07-2015, 05:44 AM

The more I use my new-to-me FA-100mm macro, the better I like it! Once you learn it's little quirks, it leaves little to be desired. I need to increase my DOF one click on shots like this, me thinks.

Last edited by Dewman; 02-11-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Views: 778
07-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DOF or focus on the eyes... but nice anyway
07-13-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm , either step back ( dont get quite so close ) , or more aperture ( smaller aperture )
Dewman are you using a flash yet for Macro ?
07-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Hmmm , either step back ( dont get quite so close ) , or more aperture ( smaller aperture )
Dewman are you using a flash yet for Macro ?

Yep, it was one of those situations where I didn't have much time and I was moving in, them moving back slightly and clicking the shutter as many times as I could before the bee took off. I most certainly could have used a little smaller aperture, but.... live and learn. I'm always very conscious (maybe overly so?) about the definition of the background and as a consequence, often don't stop down quite enough. This shot was far from being 1:1, so it wasn't the lens' fault - t'was mine! But, I'm learnin'.

As far as using flash, I don't ever see me going that route. Personally, I just don't like the washed out, no shadows, un-natural look I see far too often. But, I have never gotten into anything larger than 1:1. If I ever do, then my opinion will probably change! Often, I will use a mirror or piece of aluminum foil to help add some illumination, but that's about it for now.

Last edited by Dewman; 07-13-2015 at 05:41 AM.
07-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yep, it was one of those situations where I didn't have much time and I was moving in, them moving back slightly and clicking the shutter as many times as I could before the bee took off. I most certainly could have used a little smaller aperture, but.... live and learn. I'm always very conscious (maybe overly so?) about the definition of the background and as a consequence, often don't stop down quite enough. This shot was far from being 1:1, so it wasn't the lens' fault - t'was mine! But, I'm learnin'.

As far as using flash, I don't ever see me going that route. Personally, I just don't like the washed out, no shadows, un-natural look I see far too often. But, I have never gotten into anything larger than 1:1. If I ever do, then my opinion will probably change! Often, I will use a mirror or piece of aluminum foil to help add some illumination, but that's about it for now.
Yeah , compensating for the flash can be tricky .
I plan on buying a 150mm to 200mm lens this year for macro , and try and get further away from the subject ( physically ) but still get the same result as with the 100mm lens ..
Im using a 1.5x tele converter with my 100mm M lens making it 150mm and I really like the combo as Im much further away for the shot , so Im wider open on the aperture , the DOF is less critical , and I dont need to get so close to the subject , And the results are the same as a 1:1 100mm lens . I still use a flash , but since Im further away , there is less burn .
07-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Squaring up the camera to the bees profile will let you get eyes and derriere in good focus without stopping down the aperture. Hard to do with moving bees, I know.

Keep it up and keep enjoying that FA100mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
As far as using flash, I don't ever see me going that route. Personally, I just don't like the washed out, no shadows, un-natural look I see far too often..
You can learn to use flash(es) to produce any lighting look you please. Learn some lighting and fill the world with the sort of thing you prefer