Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

Bumblebee
Posted By: csa, 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM

It was very overcast, so not good lighting, and was handheld. This is with the Sigma 105 Macro. (I'm just learning macro, so be gentle! )

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,986
09-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is work - and good reason to go as native as possible. Those plants are usually more drought-tolerant.
There may well be native seed collection groups who can provide seed mixes. They do here in Illinois. There are even some which use your yard for seed collection, though that's pretty restrictive. They want to make sure commercial varieties don't cross-pollinate the completely native plants.

Two of our small garden beds have been taken over by native and some invasives. I was able to pull some things out like the non-native parsnips but the native jewelweed has really taken one over. And that was with me hoeing the seedlings. I may need to rethink my mitigation efforts next year. The bumbles and hummers love the jewelweed, so it spreads really well.

I wouldn't mind planting the entire yard prairie-style, but the dogs need some big open space to romp.

09-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
but the dogs need some big open space to romp.
My dog has my 20 acres to romp!

I'm happy with the yard as it is. There was one only bush here. I dug up and replanted 5 evergreens which now are over 20' tall. I hauled garden soil, and put in 5 garden beds. That was when I was young & able to do things; now I simply enjoy what I have. When you have to haul the water you use, you are very restricted as to what you can plant. That's one reason I have a lot of Russian Sage around the yard. Once established, it requires no additional water other than what Mother Nature provides. It is beautiful, and blooms all summer.
09-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With two huskies and a malamute 20 acres would be tempting fate FAR too much. They'd be in trouble constantly. A fence is merely a suggestion to a young husky...and at my departed Father in Law's house the fence wasn't even that much. It was more of a hurdle. In this part of the country they'd find every skunk and puddle of foul water!

Your parcel sounds great out west, though.
09-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trust me, my lab does not leave my sight, outside. Too many things around that could be dangerous to her.

09-26-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a couple more with my Sigma 105 macro, handheld.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, looks like a male ternarius. There are plenty of males hanging on here, hoping for their chance. Not this species, though, not this far east.
10-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm , F11 is better , ISO is on the high side , shutter speed is on the low side ..

@ F11 your focus is going to be critical ..

Pentax K10D -
You should consider ISO400 as the maximum , as things get a little grainy higher than that ..

My suggestion would be to incorporate a flash , drop ISO to 100 or 200 , jack the F-stop to F16 and run 1/180 on the shutter ... And take it from there ..
But thats just me ..