Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reverse adapter, fix for tight fit?

I've just received a set of Auto macro tubes and a 49mm reverse adapter (at a pretty good price, if I may gloat ). The tubes work fine, the only problem is that I can barely get the reverse adapter on and off the camera (or the tubes, for that matter). I'd rather not sand down the mount, as the adapter looks pretty much new, but do I have a choice?

03-13-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Closed Account

Hi Giklab. I think any camera equipment you need to sand, or chisel, or cut with a hacksaw, or hit with a hammer to make it fit, isn't the right equipment for your camera. But it is your choice. Good luck.
03-13-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, this is the first piece of Pentax equipment I've tried that doesn't play well
I really don't want to resort to modifying it if I can help it.
03-13-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well, this is the first piece of Pentax equipment I've tried that doesn't play well

Pentax don't make equipment that needs sanding !!! But it is still your choice.

03-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Pentax don't make equipment that needs sanding !!! But it is still your choice.
So you've told me. It doesn't change the fact that I have an adapter I'd like to use which gets very much stuck on my camera. And I'm trying to find solutions OTHER THAN sanding it down. Was I not clear enough in the OP? o.O
03-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just my 2 cents, but it sounds like one of the flanges on the adapter might be bent a little. Get a ruler and check the flanges on the adapter and compare them to a lens that you know fits properly.

If the flanges are bent on the adapter, your choices are to either get a different adapter or to use some pliers and tweak the flanges into the correct position.
03-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #7

I have a couple of original Minolta adapters that are very tight fitting. Tolerances vary in + / - directions. If you put two pieces of equipment one at the limit of the + and the other at the limit of the - tolerance together they may be nearly be out of range.

Third party reverse adapters are cheap enough. Just buy another one and see if it fits better.

Other than mounting and dismounting and hoping it will wear in I don't see much alternative other than sanding - 000 or 0000 steel wool would be better - just clean thoroughly with a tooth brush before bringing it any where near you camera equipment.

03-13-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought a new 49mm reverse adapter for $4.05 and it works just fine. When you can get a new one that cheap, why mess with something that may damage your mount.
03-13-2016, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
do I have a choice?
Send it back to its maker.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-13-2016 at 03:06 PM.
03-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I just bought a new 49mm reverse adapter for $4.05 and it works just fine. When you can get a new one that cheap, why mess with something that may damage your mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

Excellent advice.
03-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try to find a micrometer somewhere. Doesn't look like anything's bent to my eye, but I may be mistaken. It is, in the end, probably just a matter of tolerance like NaN said.
The guy who sold it to me said he used it in combination with the tubes (and a) he has loads of images to prove it and b) the adapter does lock into the tubes easier).
03-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I should elaborate a little. A tight mount comes at a price and that price is using at least one part of your kit as a machine tool. At the very least, there is the potential for fine metal shards to find their way into camera and/or lens.

Steve