Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 12:32 AM   #91

Original Poster
Macro Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For hand holding macro stuff, there are as many different approaches as there are macro photographers. I typically use one or two external flashes triggered via 'dumb' wireless slaves. One or both of the lights are often duffused with a little homemade 6"x8" softbox which can be a relatively massive light source up close. This is a relatively simple but flexible lighting setup.

Yes. More equipment.

Perhaps you would post a photo of your set up. Surely I can't be the only one on this site who is a Novice at Macro Photography and is struggling to get on without purchasing unnecessary gear. I do understand the phrase "don't run before you can walk" which is an extreme statement here, but what is the point of doing something one way to find later on that it was unnecessary. I AM REALLY GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFORMATION GIVEN TO ME SO FAR AND IT IS APPRECIATED VERY MUCH.

With other topics of photography there are lots of videos out there as every one (or lots of people) are posting videos and so you can decide which one suits your needs, but with Macro Photography there doesn't appear to be much out there. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, so if anyone knows differently, please say so or point me to these videos that I can't or haven't found.

ALSO, IF THERE ARE ANY NOVICES MACRO PHOTO TAKERS (I AM NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER YET) PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN ME ON THIS THREAD WITH YOUR VIEWS OR REQUEST, AS I DON'T MIND AS IT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO ALL OF US MACRO NOVICES.

I HOPE I GET SOME GOOD RESPONSES, BOTH FROM THE EXPERIENCED WITH THEIR VIEWS AND SUGGESTIONS AND FROM NOVICES WITH THEIR REQUESTS OR VIEWS.

THANKS EVERYONE.

05-02-2016, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the field, wading through the plants in full daylight I usually don't need the flash. Shutter speed is important, of course, so I generally use TAv mode in this flow:

Set aperture to a comfortable range. f13 or higher if you have plenty of light.
Set shutter speed to keep ISO in a good range, below 800 is ideal.
Balance those two based on conditions, keeping ISO in range.
Shoot using back-button focus, camera in AF.C mode most of the time. Also trigger is on exposure priority, not focus priority.
Get used to your focus selector switch, whether on the lens or camera (right pinky finger) so you can swap between auto- and manual-focus as required. Many times the camera just can't figure out what it's supposed to focus on, so dropping to manual focus should become second nature.

Recently I've been shooting more with the flash. I bought the little 201 flash when I bought the K3II, and it seems quite good for macro. Not overpowering, but provides enough light outdoors for some great images. Shutter speed is limited to 180 but that hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. I probably need to start flash shooting in Av mode, as a few images have been borderline overexposed and it seems the TAv flow doesn't work as well.

Then it's practice. Lots of practice. Last year my keeper rate was markedly better than previous years. I think I'm getting better at understanding the insects and at my technique. I look forward to seeing how the K3II performs compared with my venerable K5 I've used for the past several years.
05-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #93

Here are a couple of macro-related sites that may be helpful:

- Up Close with Nature

- https://www.flickr.com/photos/steb1/sets/72157620120206794

- Dominate Macro Photography With These 7 Short Tutorials

Edit: I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but here's a PF article that also may prove helpful:

- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html

Last edited by T Evergreen; 05-02-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: updating information
05-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #94
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
This site is maintained by a fellow forum member. Lots of great stuff there.

Extreme Macro Photography

05-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #95
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a shot of another photographer's extreme macro setup.

As you can see, the only limits to what can be achieved are your imagination.
05-02-2016, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always handhold. Using a tripod in the brush where the tiny creatures are just gets in the way and takes too long to setup. May be ok with static objects, but I've never seen a need. A good flash is a must, as I posted before you can even use the onboard. I use a ringflash and it works great. Set everything on manual, it's all you need. This little hopper was only about 2mm in length, getting close is tricky, but it can be done especially on the early morning.

Last edited by bluestringer; 08-05-2016 at 04:50 AM.
05-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #97

Original Poster
Macro Help

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Here is a shot of another photographer's extreme macro setup.

As you can see, the only limits to what can be achieved are your imagination.

Thanks for the information.

Gosh! I don't call that a macro set up, I call that a macro workshop. Wow!

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
I always handhold. Using a tripod in the brush where the tiny creatures are just gets in the way and takes too long to setup. May be ok with static objects, but I've never seen a need. A good flash is a must, as I posted before you can even use the onboard. I use a ringflash and it works great. Set everything on manual, it's all you need. This little hopper was only about 2mm in length, getting close is tricky, but it can be done especially on the early morning.

Thanks for the information. I will bear what you said in mind.

The grasshopper is a beauty.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
In the field, wading through the plants in full daylight I usually don't need the flash. Shutter speed is important, of course, so I generally use TAv mode in this flow:

Shoot using back-button focus, camera in AF.C mode most of the time. Also trigger is on exposure priority, not focus priority.
Get used to your focus selector switch, whether on the lens or camera (right pinky finger) so you can swap between auto- and manual-focus as required. Many times the camera just can't figure out what it's supposed to focus on, so dropping to manual focus should become second nature.

Recently I've been shooting more with the flash. I bought the little 201 flash when I bought the K3II, and it seems quite good for macro. Not overpowering, but provides enough light outdoors for some great images. Shutter speed is limited to 180 but that hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. I probably need to start flash shooting in Av mode, as a few images have been borderline overexposed and it seems the TAv flow doesn't work as well.

Then it's practice. Lots of practice. Last year my keeper rate was markedly better than previous years. I think I'm getting better at understanding the insects and at my technique. I look forward to seeing how the K3II performs compared with my venerable K5 I've used for the past several years.

Thank you very much for all the information. I have made notes to remind me.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote

Thank you very much for all the information. I have made notes to remind me.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Here are a couple of macro-related sites that may be helpful:

- Up Close with Nature

- https://www.flickr.com/photos/steb1/sets/72157620120206794

- Dominate Macro Photography With These 7 Short Tutorials

Edit: I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but here's a PF article that also may prove helpful:

- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html

Thanks for the links. I will check the out.

05-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #98

Photos: Gallery
Try to go for m42. Any 50 reversed will do just fine.
06-11-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I built my kit with a used lens ($30) from KEH. To that I added 2 used ($5 each) teleconverters with the glass knocked out to use as extension tubes, and a Raynox diopter ($50). So for less than $100 I had a pretty neat initial macro set-up.
06-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #100

Original Poster
You are a Handy Man

Thanks for responding to the thread.

You are really a handyman and I am no handy woman. If I was, I would probably do what you did and construct a lens (sort of). I have now purchased a Pentax Macro Lens and although I have only used it about three times, I can report that the lens is very sharp and I am pleased with it.

I am waiting for the butterflies and bees to get bigger and then I will be out in my garden photographing them. I dare say that I will be back here asking for more advice.

Have a good day and thanks for your response.

Heather
06-12-2016, 01:05 AM   #101
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heather Iles Quote
I have now purchased a Pentax Macro Lens and although I have only used it about three times, I can report that the lens is very sharp and I am pleased with it.

Which lens did you get Heather?
06-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #102

Original Poster
Lense

I am sorry you missed my thread as I reported on 11 April that I bought a Pentax 100mm F2.8 DAW Macro Lens. Do you know anything about this lens?

I have only used this lens about three times, but it is very sharp. I am waiting for the insets in the garden to grow some more as they are very small at the moment.

Thanks for your response.

Heather
06-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #103
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heather Iles Quote
I am sorry you missed my thread as I reported on 11 April that I bought a Pentax 100mm F2.8 DAW Macro Lens. Do you know anything about this lens?

This lens?

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-14-2016, 12:54 AM   #104

Original Poster
Lens

Thanks. You too have a Macro Lens.