Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Macro with a action cam

I know its not stills , but its relatively macro and hopefully interesting .
So yeah I have been playing with action cams , really interesting little imaging devices .. ( They really can do a lot )
So at the moment I am just trying to work out the focus range .. @ macro its rather tight , but I hope to be able to do a little better by playing with the focus .

12-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sure looks handy for closeup, but I'm not seeing it reach the 1:1 reproduction ratio anywhere in that film required for it to actually be macro? Best I can see must be about 1:4 I think.
12-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True Macro : ( ??? )
I was shoving the camera some what close , about 4 to 5 cm from the subjects ..
For true 1:1 reproduction I would have to probably be within contact distance .. ( Not sure that is going to happen )
Most of these cams have relatively wide angle lenses , the one used here is pro-ported to be 170Deg ..
I have a 28mm Macro lens that focuses to contact ..
Anyhow ,
12-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was thinking about a solution to the same issue myself...
I'll try sellotaping a +something diopter in front of the lens.

12-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm , a Close focus filter of sorts ..
But the design of the Action cams dont lend themselves well to such ..
One would need to glue some sort of circular extension around the lens , so that the ( possibly ) close focus filter could be attached to it ..

Picture from my review of the cam
12-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
True Macro : ( ??? ) ...
True macro as in >=1:1 reproduction ratio, which is the definition of macro. The difference between closeup and macro is a bit of a blurry line - and manufacturers don't help much by having macro settings on lenses that are actually closeup settings. For example TonyTee posts lots of nice closeups in the macro section - ie this rose - but actually they're not >= 1:1, so technically not a macro. Macro is defined as "greater than life size" ie greater than 1:1. A bit of a blurry line though.
12-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry

I know what Macro is ! ( Sorry )

I was possibly suggesting that it's really that important a detail ...

12-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Hmmm , a Close focus filter of sorts ..
But the design of the Action cams dont lend themselves well to such ..
One would need to glue some sort of circular extension around the lens , so that the ( possibly ) close focus filter could be attached to it ..

Picture from my review of the cam
Yeah, mine has the exact same shape.
That idea came to me while I was talking with a friend who had some rolling shutter issues with the prop of his ultralight plane... the solution was obviously using an ND in order to force the camera to choose a slower shutter speed, in order to blur the prop.

I think it'll be sufficient to just tape the filter in front of the underwater case which, unlike the lens itself, is flat.
I'll try something (when I have time... ) and report back.

Edit: while it's relatively easy to keep the filter (I tried an old +3 I had in my bag) straight and parallel to the lens, there is next to no effect on focusing distance (my action cam has a fixed-focus lens, just like yours, I believe).

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-11-2016 at 04:24 PM.
12-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There should be some affect , ( All that techno math stuff )
I was actually wondering about a magnifying glass , I actually made a macro lens from some cardboard tube , a body cap , and a magnifying lens .. ( Wasn't the greatest lens in the world - possibly one of the worst - but it sort of worked )

But there is little to no limit to ones imagination ..
For now I want to keep it simple , just refocusing the cam and seeing what the results are .