Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 10:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(Lynda.com) Nice focus stacking tutorials

Here's the link. It's got me wanting to try focus stacking myself. Now, I just need to find an interesting subject!

Has anyone else used Helicon Focus?

Last edited by lithedreamer; 01-11-2017 at 10:31 PM.
01-12-2017, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a watch.

r0ckstarr put together a photoshop tutorial here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/314313-focus-stacking-tutorial.html

I've tried the Helicon & Zerene demos. I found Zerene easier to use and was happier with the output. That was just after 30 days though. In the link above I have some samples comparing photoshop, combineZP, and Zerene. CombineZP is what I'm using right now (it's free!) until I get around to buying Zerene.
01-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a watch.

r0ckstarr put together a photoshop tutorial here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/314313-focus-stacking-tutorial.html

I've tried the Helicon & Zerene demos. I found Zerene easier to use and was happier with the output. That was just after 30 days though. In the link above I have some samples comparing photoshop, combineZP, and Zerene. CombineZP is what I'm using right now (it's free!) until I get around to buying Zerene.
Cool, that's pretty much the process Justin Reznick shows for doing this in Photoshop, but I'll check out Zerene, as that sounds interesting, too.

Edit: I think I'll prefer Helicon, as it doesn't look like it requires exporting to TIFF first like Zerene does (or maybe it does it as part of its Lightroom plugin? I'll have to try it myself).

Edit-2: Yeah. They even advertise it as Raw in-DNG out. But...it's only available with their more expensive version. :/

Last edited by lithedreamer; 01-12-2017 at 11:26 AM.