Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Macro Setup

I tried my hand at Macro photography a year and a half ago.
I was using a K-30 with generic 'dumb' extension tubes and a Rikenon 50mm f1.7 with a reverse ring.

I bought the Sunpak dx8r ring flash and gave that a try as well.

I then bought the Sigma 105 macro...

Needless to say, I struggled and sold all of that gear.
I was new to photography in general, so trying to shoot macro before learning the basics was a mistake on my part.

I'm way more comfortable now behind a camera, and I've upgraded my gear a bit over the last 18 months.
I've just acquired a DFA100 and the HD1.4xTC. I picked up an AF-201fg flash, a Vello cord, a few 4mm brackets and some 1/4'' threaded accessories.
I just bought a new tripod and new ballhead for my wildlife photography which should prove useful!

I've got this vision of a particular setup, not sure how it's going to work yet...
I'll post photos once it's ready!

If anyone has general tips or advice, comments or concerns, I'd love to hear it!
We just bought a house this past fall and I'll be starting my first garden this coming spring.

I'm looking forward to shooting as the garden grows. There should be plenty of subjects by summer!

01-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like a fairly good setup.
Can't wait to see your photos! Have fun!
01-19-2017, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If anyone has general tips or advice, comments or concerns, I'd love to hear it!
What ever you do do not use AF. Macro is set lens to close focus, and either walk up to your subject moving camera and lens, backward and forward until subject is in focus. If you intend to use your tripod buy a focusing rail.
01-19-2017, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use the tripod with anything that's stationary and a remote control shutter release, and use the live view for focusing. Use either aperture priority or manual. Also depth of field will be a constant challenge so stop down as much as possible. F32 isn't always the sharpest, you may need to dial it back to F22, depending on your lens. But most importantly, try all sorts of things, don't give up and have fun. Macro is a lot of fun but offers some unique challenges.

01-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
What ever you do do not use AF. Macro is set lens to close focus, and either walk up to your subject moving camera and lens, backward and forward until subject is in focus. If you intend to use your tripod buy a focusing rail.
I've looked at focusing rails.
I'm gonna hold off on spending more money until I know what I need.

Any suggestions though to keep on the back of my mind?
01-19-2017, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also have the AF201FG flash but I made a diffuser/extender to use with it. And I keep it on 1/4 power. Works well for my macro shots.

This was shot with said setup. Used a Tamron 90mm SP adaptall lens.

01-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote

I have 3 tripods : 1 heavy manfrotto 1 very portable manfrotto & Light Velbon Plus a Polaroid Monopod. I have put quick releases on all of them with the same release plate most of my cameras have them permanently installed. I have put 2 way rail systems on the heavy Manfotto & the Velbon ; they can be easily transferred to other tripods as well. I find this system very convenient for Macro, Portraiture, astrophotography, product and even landscape photography. The total cost for the Release System & Rail System all from the Orient was around $100USD.
I have enclosed Pics For the Manfrotto 1foot rails & Velbon 6" rails.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
01-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Tripods are good for stationary macro shots, not so handy in the field, chasing bugs under leaves or in grass. Not very useful for macro where I shoot. I have two tripods, both Manfrotto and one monopod, also a Manfrotto with quick releases on all of them. I've been shooting macro the same way for over 20 years and this works for me.
01-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are about as many approaches to macro photography as there are macro photographers. So don't be shy about trying different approaches, like AF (it has its uses), handheld, tripod, ambient light only, 100% lit by flash, reflectors, diffusers, focus stacking, 'absurdly' high apertures, etc, etc. You should fill your macro toolbox with as many techniques as you can, and use whatever makes a given photo work for you.

Regarding a macro rail, I picked up one of these last year: Oben MFR4-5 Macro Focusing Rail MFR4-5 B&H Photo Video It appears to be the similar to a popular Velbon model, but with a handy quick release plate. For the price, I'm happy with it.

Also- have fun! With your new macro setup and your new garden

Last edited by BrianR; 01-19-2017 at 02:39 PM.
01-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here are some links I've found very helpful. You might find some suggestions that will let you get more from what you've got or to try approaches you hadn't thought of.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html

Extreme Macro Photography

www.photomacrography.net
01-19-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thomas Shahan's video on bug macro is a must watch for anyone interested in getting off the tripod.

01-19-2017, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Thomas Shahan's video on bug macro is a must watch for anyone interested in getting off the tripod.
An Introduction to High-Magnification Macro Photography - YouTube
Short version: nothing matters except taking as many photos as you can.
01-20-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autofocus is still useful for field macro. So is learning to switch between manual and auto quickly. So is practice, practice, practice. Learn how the camera focuses and you'll be able to use the autofocus.

Nearly all my work is hand-held. I added a Sunpak ringflash last year, firing manually, and that has been a big boost.
Settings: P mode, 1/160sec, f16, ISO100. Flash fire 1/8 or 1/4 depending on conditions. Adjust exposure in Lightroom.
01-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Short version: nothing matters except taking as many photos as you can.
And don't expect all of them to be good. With macro, the keeper rate is usually much lower than with other, more usual, styles of photography.