Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beginners macro water bugs

i picked up a m42 100mm f4 macro lens around xmas time. very happy with the condition of it . working away from home means i don't get to play much with it .however a couple of weeks ago it rained overnight the next morning when i went to unload the car (its a ute) the tarp had collected rainwater and to my surprise the were twenty or so underwater bugs swimming around in it. so i grabbed the canon 60d and attached the pentax lens on it. let me just say its hard work getting a decent macro shot lol i spent about 3/4 of an hour hand held trying to get a nice shot. might have to start with something that doesn't move as much like coins lol anyway here's a couple of pretty average pics lol

02-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chardie Quote
beginners macro water bugs
These aren't too shabby for your 1st attempts chardie. Handheld macro is a challenge, but very satisfying when it works. I would like to share a couple of tricks that improved my keeper rate with handheld. Firstly, I had to practice my shutter release technique to be very smooth ( don't be jerky with the shutter button ) and to press the button as soon as focus is confirmed. Once again, any hesitation means movement which changes the focus point. Secondly, practice, practice , practice. Good luck.

PS. If you had a Pentax camera body, I would suggest having the shutter speed fast enough that you could disengage the SR. Waiting for the SR to settle means movement which changes your focus point again.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-04-2017 at 02:29 AM.
02-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff. They appear to be beetles. There are beetles and true bugs. Beetles start life as grubs. The adults have their first wings as armour to protect the real 2nd wings underneath. The two armoured wings make a flat line down the middle of the back. Beetles have jaws.

True bugs have a stabbing straw like mouth. Their young are small versions of the adult with no wings. As adults the wings overlap across the back.

These are some pics on my gallery. Educating Options for a Sustainable Future Some were taken with an old Takamar 100 bellows. Higher magnification was done with a pentax microscope adaptor. I have used flash for most photos.
02-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think those are a small species of predaceous diving beetle (Dytiscidae), but I cannot offer a generic name. Try GOOGLING the family name and you might get images that would provide a more precise identification.

02-04-2017, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

Medium sized with dorsal patterns? Perhaps Megaporus howitti, Hyphydrus lyratus or Hyphydrus elegans. Mostly found in south east Australia but can be found in south eastern Queensland.

https://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/Upload/Files-Biological-Sciences/Terr-Inverts...tles-of-SA.pdf
02-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad I did not try for a generic name, as my guides are all USA and it would absolutely not be the same genus as found here.
02-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

as another aspiring macro photographer, I must say kinda cool - came to check out photo technique, and learn about bugs, beetles and stuff wasn't even thinking of. Hope the quiz is still a few days out though!

02-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
well thanks to you all for the replies. honestly i wouldn't have known where to begin in identifying what those things were lol. i have alot to learn it seems about technique and identification. hopefully all the learning will keep the dementia away lol
02-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hand-held macro takes a bit of practice, and a good amount of light. There are always subjects, though, you just have to keep your eyes open.