Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Marumi Achromat

Does anyone know where in the US I can buy or order a Marumi Achromat?

I see some and ebay and Amazon, but not the thread size and power that I'm looking for. I also see them for sale outside of North America. Our friends at Adorama have them but their pricing is about double what I think and what it appears they are supposed to cost (which is not like Adorama).

For some reason, places that sell Marumi filters don't seem to sell these. I wonder if there is some issue with getting these in the US which would explain both availability and Adorama's pricing.

It's something that i would like to try, but part of the appeal is the economics of it and there is a pricepoint at which competing macro options start to win out. If someone has a source, I'd appreciate the tip.

Last edited by troika; 02-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.
02-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Murami filters? Do you mean Marumi? This one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/marumi-dhg-achromat-macro-200-5.html

We can give you alternatives if you name the lens(es) that you have and what kind of photos you want to take.
If you really want a macro filter, look at the Raynox macro filters. People say those are the best macro filters out there, and they might be more available

Honestly, you can buy a manual macro prime with good image quality for less than $150. And extension tubes and you are golden. Dedicated macro primes really beat any extension tubes or filters, because macro lenses are very optically corrected and have focusing designed for macro. When it comes to macro photography you don't really need AF, and can even do without auto-metering. A manual focus lens might be even better since it has longer focus throw and good focus ring damping

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-10-2017 at 03:07 PM.
02-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I mean Marumi. I edited my post to correct the spelling. Sorry for the dyslexia.

What I am interested in is their achromat macro filter that is equivalent to the Raynox.

I currently own a very good macro prime and have owned others in the past as well. For the right price, I would be interested in trying one of these filters on a good "close focusing" lens that I also own. Certainly Raynox is an alternative, but I prefer the mounting scheme of the Marumi and they are reviewed as comparable in quality, with fans who favor each.
02-10-2017, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
What I am interested in is their achromat macro filter that is equivalent to the Raynox.
I have two Marumi DHG Achromat close up filters: 330/67mm for my K-3ii lenses and 200/52mm for my Nikon Coolpix A. Worth waiting for in my opinion. I purchased one on eBay and the other on Amazon, setting up filters that alert me when one comes available in a specific size. You will likely have to wait for a few months...

Michael

02-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Michael. I have two lenses in mind for this, one has 67mm threads and the other (300mm FL) has 77mm threads.

My instinct is to hold out for a 67mm, since that is the primary lens that I want to use this with and step down to it on the 77mm one and trust that at the long end of that full frame zoom I probably won't vingette. I could, of course do it the other way, but I'd rather it fit the primary lens.

Any thoughts based on your experience?
02-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I don't know a source. I know they're rare though, having looked for them myself in the past too. What thread size and power are you looking for?
02-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm looking for +3 in, ideally 67mm.

There is one on eBay in 77mm for a good price and I might go that way, but if there was a source, I'd go the other way.

02-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Michael. I have two lenses in mind for this, one has 67mm threads and the other (300mm FL) has 77mm threads.

My instinct is to hold out for a 67mm, since that is the primary lens that I want to use this with and step down to it on the 77mm one and trust that at the long end of that full frame zoom I probably won't vingette. I could, of course do it the other way, but I'd rather it fit the primary lens.

I used a 62mm Nikon 6T and 5T on a step ring on my 77mm FA* 80-200 when I had it. I use a Canon 500D on my DA* 200 often. I haven't tried the Nikon's on it but I suspect it would not be a problem since the 80-200 wasn't.
02-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I used a 62mm Nikon 6T and 5T on a step ring on my 77mm FA* 80-200 when I had it. I use a Canon 500D on my DA* 200 often. I haven't tried the Nikon's on it but I suspect it would not be a problem since the 80-200 wasn't.
Excellent information. Thank you.

I'm going to try to hold out for a 67mm +3 if I can find one at a good price.
02-10-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent information. Thank you.

I'm going to try to hold out for a 67mm +3 if I can find one at a good price.
The Nikon's are 1.5 and 2.9 diopters and the Canon is 2.0 if that helps as well. I also have Raynox DCR-150 (4 diopeters) and a Raynox DCR-250 (8 diopters) as well as a dedicated DFA 100. The Raynox filters are more easily used on 52mm-67mm but I have a 49 to 43 step ring that allows them to be used on my DFA 100 if desired.

EDIT: I have read that the Marumi is a 3.3 diopter - but I'm not certain if the source was accurate.
02-10-2017, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No doubt you can use a smaller diopter than the lens filter size. I used to use a Canon 500 58mm on a 72mm Nikon 180mm f.2.8 with great results. Here is another way I use the Marumi:

02-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice setup, thank you.

I'd like to try it on my A 35-105/3.5 for general macro/other. It can get to 1:4 close focus/quasi macro as is and I really like it. (67mm threads)

I'd also like to try it at or near 300mm on my Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 (77mm threads) for getting nervous critters from a greater distance. I've seen a lot of shots and read reviews so I know that it can produce good results, I can't be sure until I try what the experience will be like.

I've owned a string of decent-great macro primes and this is not a "need", but I really miss auto-aperature as an option and my current one does not have that. I also find that when I'm packing my kit for a hike or a trip that the dedicated macro lens tends to be the one that gets left behind, so much more if it requires an extension tube or a multiplier. Not a big deal if I'm setting up a softbox and wasting hours in my basement, but a very big deal if I'm going on a trip.

If can pick one of these for a reasonable price, it would be worth the experiment. Amazon sells them for ~$120, but they don't have my size. A 67mm is about double that at Adorama right now and a 77mm is over $300. Adorama are good folk their prices are fair, so I assume it's a supply problem for them too. But at that price, it doesn't work for me, I could buy a 90mm Tamron.

There is a used 77mm/+3 on eBay right now for about $70, but I think I'll hold out for a 67mm. Like I said, it's not a "need", so I've got time.

Odd, that these can't just be bought in the US, though, but other Marumi filters can be.