Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
I´ve been BITTEN
Posted By: chris.britingles, 04-08-2017, 05:50 AM

Hello everyone,

I´ve been bitten not physically but metaphorically that is, MACRO is FANTASTIC and there´s always something to have a go at.

It started here with some coloured pencils: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Then I went outside and played with some bugs and flowers/plants: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

The equipment that I´m using is a Pentax K-x, extension tubes, LCD screen viewer, reverse mount 50mm lens, Metz Flash, Hot shoe extension cable, an L bracket and some mounts.

Going to play again

TTFN

Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650 Dual SIM  Photo 

Views: 1,917
04-08-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chris.britingles Quote
I´ve been BITTEN
Join the club Chris. The macro world is a different universe buddy. Enjoy !!!

PS. Excellent images.
04-08-2017, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best thing about macro: it's never out of season. Just go raid the kitchen, desk, workshop or local flower store.
04-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This is why so many of the non-macro lenses I shoot the single-in monthly competition with have aperture rings.

04-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcome aboard!
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your comments, however how can I make the image bigger besides the obvious and adding more tubes?
I currently have an inverted 50mm lens, would a 28mm increase the magnification to the extent that I'd be able to capture even more detail?
Unfortunately due to being self employed and working in Spain as an English teacher doesn't really give or allow you the free time to read and or investigate these things a lot.

TTFN

Chris
04-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with a 28mm is that it reduces your distance to your object quite a bit, in my experience. Inverted and tubes, or a bellows is, in my view, a good solution. As is adding another lens, but that has the limitation of reducing light even more. In all, yours is actually a very elegant and simple solution.

04-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I currently have an inverted 50mm lens, would a 28mm increase the magnification to the extent that I'd be able to capture even more detail?
On the same length tubes you get about twice the magnification. As the magnification gets higher and higher, a macro rail plus focus stacking get more and more attractive.

If you do pick up a 28mm lens, I'd also suggest a macro-coupling ring to let you reverse mount it directly onto your 50mm (orther lenses you own). The ring will be cheap on ebay, so if you already have the lenses it's a good option to try - coupling lenses can sometimes give much better results than reversing on tubes..
04-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks peeps,
So let me see if I understand or if I havent explained properly. My current set up is extension tubes plus a reverse mounted 50mm and what your saying is, I think, standard mount the 50mm then reverse mount another lens?
TTFN
Chris
04-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks peeps,
So let me see if I understand or if I havent explained properly. My current set up is extension tubes plus a reverse mounted 50mm and what your saying is, I think, standard mount the 50mm then reverse mount another lens?
TTFN
Chris
Yes, that is an option. See here (and also the rest of this site for great info) Coupling lenses for extreme macro

You can also use your tubes and put in a 28mm where you have your 50mm, that would give more magnification than your current setup. Coupling the lenses is just another method. Coupling rings are inexpensive, so if you have the lenses anyway, you might as well try it!
04-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
HAPPY BOY,
Now I have another little project but I can't do anything until Wednesday because my parents have come to visit and it's Semana Santa so we have all of the processions' going off at the moment. I've literally just come back from "El silencio" where everything is pitch black and silent; it's really cool! This has given me chance to have a play with the iso's to see if the photos turn out. I've had to use 6400 plus but they look alright on the but need to wait until I can get them on the PC. Tomorrow is our procession "Cristo de la Buena muerte", so this year instead of carrying Christ I will be taking photos and carrying coats, sweets and drinks for the wife and youngest daughter; as well as spending some time with my parents.
It's possibly one of the hardest things about living abroad, not seeing the family but it's always good to see them and or talk to them on the phone, they don't do Skype 😭 so it's the good old conventional phone and the bill for international calls for me.
Anywaytime for a beer 🍺 before bed, because tomorrow is a 10 hour procession and they have to get ready beforehand which is a good 2 hours.
TTFN
Chris

Last edited by chris.britingles; 04-13-2017 at 05:41 PM.