Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Been trying to see how close-up I can shoot toothpicks.
Posted By: MarkJerling, 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Depth of field is a problem. I need to experiment more!

The first one is simply with a 28mm macro lens reversed, onto extension tubes. The second shot is trying two lenses with the outer lens reversed onto the first.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-11-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Views: 1,289
05-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could always do a DoF stack in PP.
05-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #3

With my Minolta autobellows III at 198mm of extension I get about 7× magnification with a reversed 28mm lens. These bellows have a tilt function so if the toothpicks were on same axis as the tilt you could get more DOF that way. Spiratone had a bellows with tilt on the X and Y axis as well as on both the front and rears standards - almost like a mini frame view camera. Very rare on the used market.

Update:

According to my Pentax Auto Bellows-A manual with the Pentax-A or M 28mm f/2.8 reversed at 169mm of extension the magnification is 6.6× with a working distance of 41mm.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-12-2017 at 03:02 AM.
05-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
You could always do a DoF stack in PP.
Yes, thank you. That is something I need to learn to do! What's the best free software way to do that? Or can I do it in an older Photoshop? (Version 8)

05-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, thank you. That is something I need to learn to do! What's the best free software way to do that? Or can I do it in an older Photoshop? (Version 8)
CS4 is the earliest version that has focus stacking.

I use CombineZP. The author's web pages have been dark for about a year and there is no activity in his Yahoo group so he seems to have disappeared. I like it because it has different algorithms and tweaks so you can see which gives the best results. It works with TIFs and you can take sequences of images to make AVI videos besides just stacking. It was written for Windows XP but I don't have any problems running it under Windows 7. I haven't tried it under Windows 10.

CombineZ - Wikipedia

Working download link on archive.org:
hadleyweb

Update: Looks like the author is still active and has a newer version call czimps for Windows 7 and 10 - 64 bit only. Link do download at bottom of page. He has a link for CombineZP download there also. The author warns CZimp isn't not easy to use. CombineZP isn't too bad but not the most user friendly either.

WELCOME

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-13-2017 at 01:53 AM.
05-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
CS4 is the earliest version that has focus stacking.

I use CombineZP. The author's web pages have been dark for about a year and there is no activity in his Yahoo group so he seems to have disappeared. I like it because it has different algorithms and tweaks so you can see which gives the best results. It works with TIFs and you can take sequences of images to make AVI videos besides just stacking. It was written for Windows XP but I don't have any problems running it under Windows 7. I haven't tried it under Windows 10.

CombineZ - Wikipedia

Working download link on archive.org:
hadleyweb

Update: Looks like the author is still active and has a newer version call czimps for Windows 7 and 10 - 64 bit only. Link do download at bottom of page. He has a link for CombineZP download there also. The author warns CZimp isn't not easy to use. CombineZP isn't too bad but not the most user friendly either.

WELCOME
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I'll give that a look!