Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome

some folks have luck with Raynox add ons

MACRO Conversion Lens for D-SLR and High Definition camcorders

here is a thread showing results:

The Raynox Macro club - PentaxForums.com

I went another route

I picked up a used SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro - the non WR version - from the forum's market place. I like it a lot, it gets 1:1

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

[ don't forget to check out the marketplace when you decide to start looking for equipment ]

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

I also have an older Tamron 70 - 300 mm macro zoom which can get me 1:2 at the 300 mm focal length

Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D) Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

you can find those reasonably priced used generally

I do "in the field" macro when I try it, in other words, I don't have a studio set up

if interested in macro, you might like this thread

PentaxForums.com → Photo Sharing and Galleries → Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories → Thematic Pollinators in action

Read more at: Pollinators in action - PentaxForums.com

some of the posters have posted incredible images
How about the laowa macro lens with wide angle 15mm f/4?

---------- Post added 06-29-17 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
By far the easiest. simplest, least expensive way to start experimenting with macro is to get Raynox achromatic close-up filters. I would recommend the two-lens kit which includes the 150 achromatic close-up lens (reduces front-of-lens-to-subject distance to 8 inches with lens set to infinity); the 250 achromatic close-up lens (subject distance reduced to 4 inches) plus a quick-mount holder that will attach the Raynox units to any lens with filer threads of 52mm to 67mm. The kit costs about $120 from either B&H or Adorama. I would suggest using your present zoom @ its maximum focal length = 55mm. There is a thread here on PF for posting images taken with the Raynox units. Find it and look at the detail that can be captured by attaching these inexpensive filters to a wide variety of lenses.

---------- Post added 06-29-17 at 11:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
True MACRO photography is a rewarding, but very demanding, photography niche. I like the RAYNOX ideas above because the investment is not so great that you cannot shelf the concept like I did and feel bad about the money spent. I enjoy being outdoors and found that true MACRO outdoors is more than difficult, it may be impossible most days. The DOF is so small that even a breeze that you cannot feel can move the plant subject in and out of focus constantly. Unless one has a long MACRO lens it is too easy to scare small animals before you can get close enough. I found that what I really enjoy is close focus lens, in my case a Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Set to MACRO and 200 to 300mm I can very nice photos of lizards and snakes down to about 2" long from as close as 4 feet. New similar lens cost about $200 new, and less that $100 used.

---------- Post added 06-29-17 at 11:44 PM ----------

yes, macro in the field isn't easy, especially for beginners like me

however, that is how you learn, try, try, try again just like my other photographic efforts

at least now, I don't have to have print the attempt to determine whether or not I was successful.

one of the reasons I went with the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro was that it was useable in areas other than macro photography, as a short telephoto and a "speedy" lens

I also will experiment with my Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D) set at 300 mm it is supposed to give me a 1:2 result

---------- Post added 06-29-17 at 11:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Btw, these are great lenses for macro as well as non-macro purposes! You can do product photos, telephoto landscapes, abstracts, portraits.. these are very versatile lenses and they work well on K-5II. Since they are DFA they also work well on film cameras and full frame like K-1, if you ever decide to try FF cameras

Tamron 90mm macro is a slightly more affordable lens that has nearly the same optical quality as the DFA 100mm, just the barrel build is not so amazing.

06-30-2017, 04:25 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not suggest a 15mm macro. To get a close-up of even a modest size flower your subject will probably be two inches (5cm) or less from the front of the lens. BY FAR the most useful FL for a macro lens is in the 90~105mm range. There are very good practical reasons why there are so many macros available within this focal-length range.
06-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens For Pentax K Mount Free Shipping 191444 | eBay
06-30-2017, 05:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lkwokon Quote
See the review here: Venus LAOWA 15mm shift macro review - Northlight Images and scroll down to where they're taking a photograph of a coin. See how close they are, and aren't even at 1:2 magnification? This will be tough to use, especially lighting your subject. This wouldn't be an easy choice for your first macro, especially since you were interested in tiny animals. Unless you're a masochist or have very specific applications in mind where you need the wide angle, I'd go for something with a longer working distance for your first macro. The 100mm range is a safe choice.

06-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do a lot of field macro, chasing bees etc. 100mm is a god length to let you get relatively close to skittish critters but also amazing close shots when they let you.

You're going to need to practice. Get out there and do it. That's the only way to learn. You can read what we tell you but until you understand how the camera and lens work together you will get only mediocre results.

Here's how I have my K3II set up. I used a K5 before that.
Center focus point.
Center-weighted metering.
Manual Mode (I used to use TAv before using the ring flash)
f16, 1/160 sec exposure, ISO 100 or 200, RAW recording, Trigger priority, continuous shooting.
Now I use a Sunpak manual ring flash set for manual firing at 1/4 power (more or less depending on conditions)

I use an FA100 f2.8 lens, though any of the macros in that FL range seem to be good.
06-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you want a trial run before investing in a macro lens, check out a rental

at least one company from Tennessee says they have the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR available for rental

LensRental.com

I have used them before and it worked well, [ I have no other connection with them other than a satisfied customer ]
06-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

15mm macro means you are almost touching the subject. So if you want to photograph insects and animals, that is not going to work - they will run away! And light is another problem, because you cast a shadow when you are so close.
For beginner macro, it is better to choose an telephoto macro lens. 90mm or more, 100mm and 105mm are good.
And the Pentax lens gives you amazing image quality, AF, WR, QS, full automation..

But if you want, go buy the 15mm. Have fun

06-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
15mm macro means you are almost touching the subject. So if you want to photograph insects and animals, that is not going to work - they will run away! And light is another problem, because you cast a shadow when you are so close.
For beginner macro, it is better to choose an telephoto macro lens. 90mm or more, 100mm and 105mm are good.
And the Pentax lens gives you amazing image quality, AF, WR, QS, full automation..

But if you want, go buy the 15mm. Have fun
if price is the issue (and when isn't it )

consider if you need the latest model

for example the 100 macro and the 100 macro WR doesn't differ in the optics if I am correct

there is some difference in shape of the blades

Pentax 100mm Macro - Non WR vs. WR

hopefully if I am wrong, someone will enlighten us
06-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

hopefully if I am wrong, someone will enlighten us
The Pentax 100mm macro optical design has been the same for a long time. Even the older F and FA versions have it. Maybe you can find them cheaper. The difference throughout the years was mostly body design, features (Quickshift, WR, focus limiter, focus clamp, size), and aperture blades (DFA WR has rounded blades, nicer bokeh). Possibly some small tweaks were done with the coatings or even the glass material, but we have no info on that. For all intents and purposes, the older F and FA and DFA versions are optically so similar to the new DFA that nobody can tell a difference in the final photos, at least according to the comparisons I've seen. I only own the new WR version and love it
06-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: The value or reason for a lens such as the Laowa 15mm macro is the ability to include extensive background in a close-up of something. For example, a close-up of an Autumn leaf in the foreground on a forest floor but also showing in reasonable focus all of the trees and rocks behind the leaf even up into the canopy, or a close-up of a flower that also includes the entire garden including flowers, trees, pathways, greenhouses and other out buildings in reasonable focus in the background. The Laowa is not a general-purpose macro, it's a special lens intended to record a particular kind of perspective that includes a close-up view of some elements in the composition.
07-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #26

Original Poster
As all the above suggestions, the 100 mm macro len is more suitable for high magnification macro photography. On the hand, what accessories should i need? ie. tripod,angle finder, external flash....?
07-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

As all the above suggestions, the 100 mm macro len is more suitable for high magnification macro photography. On the hand, what accessories should i need? ie. tripod,angle finder, external flash....?

yes, yes and yes

on the other hand you can experiment with shooting macro hand held in natural light, it all depends on what you want

the more controlled, the better the likelihood of success - tripod, flash freezes action, circular flash (throws little if any shadow) and indoor studio

the least control, the more the chance of near (or far) misses

remember that shooting macro will mean minimum depth of field so to obtain perfect focus is hard to do hand held

just my opinion, I'm a learner of macro trying the hardest way for success - hand held, in the field, no flash

after all, once you discount the $ spent on the camera, lens, computer and memory card, there is no cost to take a photo even if you end up deleting it, unlike the film days where there was the cost of printing the image to see what you got

what are you willing to accept?
07-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #28

Original Poster
the other laowa macro len 60mm f2.8 with 2x magnification, is that a nice choose?
07-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the other laowa macro len 60mm f2.8 with 2x magnification, is that a nice choose?
Potentially, yes, although for a bargain price I would look for a second hand Tamron 90mm. There are a lot of them out there, and the lens is a proven winner.
07-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I own this lens and love it (mostly because it enables 2:1) but it is a wild thing to use: You have to use it at real aperture because there is no auto aperture system, it is easy from F2.8 to F5.6 but at F8 and more you have to add some light if you want to focus properly.
So for general macro I prefer my Tamron 90mm F2.8