Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Macro for beginners ( A guide to help people not give up ) Part 4

Part 4 will be - Working with the 50mm Lens .

I really like the 50mm lenses , they are simply so rewarding to use and taking a bad picture is much harder to do than with the larger lenses . Also should you decide not to use a flash the 50mm is capable of some very nice results . When I macro I never use auto focus , just something else to complicate things or cause problems . The last thing you want when taking a photo ( macro ) is for your lens to be focus hunting as this often results in a missed shot . I just switch to manual focus and then manually set my focus distance ( how far away do you want the subject to be ? ) . Once I decide my focus distance I then take some test shots to make sure my camera settings are right ( I shoot manual ) . Now it is easy enough to shoot aperture priority or perhaps shutter priority and using a set ISO or ISO range . Now this does mean that you are letting the camera make some choices for you and you are surrendering control of some functions that can affect the resulting image . This is perhaps not so important when starting out as FOCUS is your primary goal . ( Get the subject in focus ) .

For true 1:1 macro you really need to get close with the 50mm lens . This means developing your stalking skills , keep the sun over your shoulder so as to keep the sun in your subjects eyes as well chose your approach carefully so as not to cast a shadow over the subject . With a 50mm lens you may be around 40mm from the subject with the lens set to 1:1 . When starting out 1:3 or 1:2 might be better choices until you get your focus and camera settings down . I find that a lot of insects tolerate about 100mm working distance as long as you dont move to fast . Remember when starting out you want to learn FOCUS and camera settings . The 50mm is a very easy to work with lens , giving the user a very broad range of settings to work with .

Introducing a flash into the equations means that environmental variables ( light / shadow ) have less effect on the results . But it also means you need to get your settings right . ( Again ) I run full manual mode , which means I select a specific shutter speed - Fstop - and ISO setting that will do the job for the prevailing conditions and working distance .

The 50mm lens has a rather broad Fstop range that will do the job for you , depending on the working distance to subject .. If you are going to work 40mm from the subject you may have little choice but to run higher Fstop settings and this will be variable to the lens you use ( Lens design ) . Some lenses max out at F16 , others at F22 and others will go F32 . Never be afraid to experiment and see what you can work with . But remember running lower Fstop might mean you need to increase the working distance to maintain depth of field .

It is up to you to try things , under different conditions ( experiment - practice ) .

This little figure was purchased for testing , so that when the weather turned to pot I had something to photograph that was relatively small .
The images I post were part of GUESS that lens game - Non Macro lenses used to take macro pictures ..
But I suggest getting something inanimate , something small , that you can practice on .
Start @ 1:3 and try and get a nice sharp in focus Picture .

Another thing about the 50mm , is it will tolerate lower shutter speed . Where the larger lenses may suffer from a bit if shake induced softness the 50mm will keep taking sharp pictures . So depending on how good you cameras anti shake is and how steady you are and how much the subject itself is moving , you may be able to maintain a good sharp image to 1/50 sec shutter speed ( Maybe ) hand held . A general rule of thumb is not to shoot under the lens mm .. So dont shoot under 1/50 with a 50mm and dont shoot under 1/100 with a 100mm lens ( its a general rule ) .

So the advantages of the 50 :
Can shoot lower shutter speed
Better aperture range ( depending on working distance - lens design - available light ) Darn those nasty variables !
Generally produces sharper images ( less magnification )
Easier to get good results without a flash
Easier to use without a flash
Generally more forgiving ( Harder to make mistakes )
Cheaper to buy
50mm is a good general lens size for all sorts of photography ( Good walk around lens )