Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread

B&H Photo Contest: "People and Nature: Mutual Influence" ($200 prize!)
Posted By: Adam, 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM

The theme for the B&H Photo Contest is:

"People and Nature: Mutual Influence"

Show man's influence on nature, nature's influence on man, or man's presence in nature in your photographs. Be creative!

As a reminder, the winner will be awarded a $200 prize from B&H photo.

Rules for this contest:
  • One photo may be submitted per user
  • The photo must be taken between July 6, 2010 and August 1, 2010 (inclusive)
  • EXIF information must not be stripped. If none is present, please specify camera, date, and location.
  • Submissions that do not conform to the contest theme will be disqualified
  • Submissions must be uploaded to our special gallery section here
  • Maximum filesize is 1.5Mb; there are no restrictions on resolution.
  • Photos that are disqualified will be moved to the disqualified sub-category in the gallery. You may upload another photo if your initial submission was disqualified. Note that only photos not taken during the contest period, or not matching the theme, are disqualified.
Good luck! We will close for uploads on August 2nd.

CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD

View the:
WINNER

Found a forum post helpful? Add to the user's reputation by clicking the icon or reputation link beside his/her post!

PentaxForums.com is 100% user-supported. You can help cover our high server costs by donating or getting your photo gear from our affiliate B&H Photo, but only by clicking the button below before you buy! You may be eligible for free Site Supporter status as well!

Views: 47,781
07-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #76

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The comments are posted in the b & h comp submissions.
You mean the photos are already on display somewhere? I wouldn't think there would be a gallery for them until all the submissions are sorted out.

07-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Its been veiwable for weeks now, up to 4 pages of entrys-
Pentax User Photo Gallery - B&H Photo Contest
07-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #78
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam, once uploaded, we can't replace the image? When I looked at the image on another one of my machines after posting, I felt I needed to make a tone curve adjustment. I did so and was about to edit/replace the photo as I have done so often, but am not seeing it so am figuring that's disabled for the competition? If that's the case, I guess I'd then ask for you to delete the post/image, and I'll re-post.
thanx,
-steve
07-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #79
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Adam, once uploaded, we can't replace the image? When I looked at the image on another one of my machines after posting, I felt I needed to make a tone curve adjustment. I did so and was about to edit/replace the photo as I have done so often, but am not seeing it so am figuring that's disabled for the competition? If that's the case, I guess I'd then ask for you to delete the post/image, and I'll re-post.
thanx,
-steve
I've now removed your entry as requested so that you may upload another

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #80
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
It's been asked a few times but still hasn't received an answer:

Do submissions have to be taken with a Pentax?
No- the only restrictions are those listed in the first post of this thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by CiyinJasper Quote
I would like to submit a photo that's a panorama created using Auto-Stitch. The auto-stitch loses the EXIF information, but I have those details from all the original files that were used to compile the larger image.

As long as my submission includes this information, is it acceptable?
Yes, that's fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
Just curious, where are these comments posted. I don't see any here.
In the contest gallery, directly below each photo.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #81
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've now removed your entry as requested so that you may upload another
Thanx very much. Sorry to be a pain.
07-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #82
Forum Member

HELP!

I'm trying to upload my photo. I'll admit I'm no expert at down-sizing files, but according to my computer my photo is at 967 KB.

I've resized it several times & I'm still getting the message that it's too big & needs to be smaller than 1M!

Thanks for the assist in advance!
Tammy

07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #83
Inactive Account

This is conceptual... it'll take thought and creativity. Think of it as a puzzle- brainstorm and create the image in your head first, then find a way to shoot it.
08-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #84
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
AFAIK the gallery limit should be 1.5 MiB. If it's 1.0, however, then 967 could be too big because of the MiB/MB distinction. Try reducing it to 900Kb and you should be fine.

Adam

08-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #85
Forum Member

Thank you for the reply.

I gave up trying to upload the version with Lightroom adjustments & went with the jpg version (minimal adjustments). Not as nice, but still gets the point across.

Guess I need to read up on using Lightroom some more.

Tammy
08-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Regarding the contest. You know I didn't really enter it with the expectations of winning anything. I know I probably won't. Too many far better photographers on here than me. I really just felt I should try.

Still I must say I've had fun participating and I've really enjoyed looking at some of the entries thus far. As a group the skill level here is I think truly impressive. You all are a truly talented bunch!

Also, I did find the contest itself thought provoking too. It made me think about what was making an impact on nature around me for quite a while so in that sense it was truly worth doing for me. I really do look forward to seeing who did win this one! It was a good contest, and well I guess that's it.

Good Luck to you all!

08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #87

One of those contests where I had plenty of ideas but little opportunity to shoot them. I was relatively happy with my image when I shot it, but when I set it in a competition setting, I'm much less proud and more 'nervous', if that's the right word, about the response it will command.
08-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #88
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The contest is now closed; voting will start immediately. Stay tuned for another thread on that very shortly.

Adam

08-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #89
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The winner has been announced: WINNER

Adam

Closed Thread