Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread

B&H Photo Contest: "People and Nature: Mutual Influence" ($200 prize!)
Posted By: Adam, 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM

The theme for the B&H Photo Contest is:

"People and Nature: Mutual Influence"

Show man's influence on nature, nature's influence on man, or man's presence in nature in your photographs. Be creative!

As a reminder, the winner will be awarded a $200 prize from B&H photo.

Rules for this contest:
  • One photo may be submitted per user
  • The photo must be taken between July 6, 2010 and August 1, 2010 (inclusive)
  • EXIF information must not be stripped. If none is present, please specify camera, date, and location.
  • Submissions that do not conform to the contest theme will be disqualified
  • Submissions must be uploaded to our special gallery section here
  • Maximum filesize is 1.5Mb; there are no restrictions on resolution.
  • Photos that are disqualified will be moved to the disqualified sub-category in the gallery. You may upload another photo if your initial submission was disqualified. Note that only photos not taken during the contest period, or not matching the theme, are disqualified.
Good luck! We will close for uploads on August 2nd.

CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD

View the:
WINNER

Found a forum post helpful? Add to the user's reputation by clicking the icon or reputation link beside his/her post!

PentaxForums.com is 100% user-supported. You can help cover our high server costs by donating or getting your photo gear from our affiliate B&H Photo, but only by clicking the button below before you buy! You may be eligible for free Site Supporter status as well!

Views: 47,782
07-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
resize:

download imagemagick:
(choose the appropriate one): ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/graphics/ImageMagick/binaries/

note: somebody using windows or mac should test, i haven't

resize:

convert -size x700 -resize x700 -unsharp 3x0.5+1.0+0.02 -quality 100 original-file.jpg original-file-resized.jpg

that's it.

the unsharp mask settings have been found through a lot of trial and error and reading, they should be reasonable for most (slight usm is required when resizing). the only problem is you might need, on windows, to change to the directory where image magick is installed, where the "convert" command is located (shouldn't be required on linux or mac).

exif: get phil harvey's exiftool (probably the best there is): ExifTool by Phil Harvey

exiftool -tagsFromFile image-original.pef image-processed.jpg

hope this helps

07-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
exif: get phil harvey's exiftool (probably the best there is): ExifTool by Phil Harvey

exiftool -tagsFromFile image-original.pef image-processed.jpg
Cool. Sorry for needless PMs.
07-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #63
Veteran Member

no worries, robin. let us know how it goes (and if there's something to add in your case, that will make somebody's life easier, as i said, i don't run windows, so there might be quirks i don't know about)
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Jeez guys! What you're niggling on the topic? Just focus your frustration squarely between the 1/4 of an inch viewfinder and the tip of your trigger finger.

Brief is clear - Man vs Nature....Anyway, I thought vision and interpretation were a major part of the photographer's trade.

I wouldn't care if the brief was "Tutus, eggbeaters and a truck driver" in a single frame. It's $200 and it's a challenge!! I'm not sure which part is confusing.
+1 All the way.
I think this is really cool. If someone's not happy with it, don't do it. Something about a gift horse and a mouth comes to mind..

07-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
More and more entries are flowing in as we near the final week of the contest period- keep 'em coming!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #66
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Post processing question

Sorry if this has been asked and I missed it. Two questions:

1. How much post-processing is allowed, if any (ie, can I use Elements to clean up or otherwise manipulate the photo?)

2. What sort of thing would disqualify a photo?
07-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #67
Veteran Member

voting

maybe I missed it but how is the winner chosen?

07-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #68
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gr8tfulEd Quote
Sorry if this has been asked and I missed it. Two questions:

1. How much post-processing is allowed, if any (ie, can I use Elements to clean up or otherwise manipulate the photo?)

2. What sort of thing would disqualify a photo?
1. Any as long as EXIF is retained.
2. See post #1.

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
maybe I missed it but how is the winner chosen?
We will be voting.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #69
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just a reminder to all participants- I have scanned all the entries and disqualified those not taken within the contest period. Please check the gallery and make sure your photo has not been disqualified!

Adam

07-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #70
Inactive Account

Thanks Adam

for doing this. I hope you are laughing at some of the lame comments and suggestions for themes and stuff. You have been more than forgiving of those that haven't taken the time to read the details.

PS. I posted my photo before actually reading the forum. <Grin>
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #71
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
IMPORTANT:

For all photos without EXIF, or those that didn't seem to match the theme, I've posted a comment asking for clarification. Please respond to that comment (in another comment,
not via PM) before the end of the day tomorrow to avoid being disqualified.

Adam

07-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #72
Pentaxian

It's been asked a few times but still hasn't received an answer:

Do submissions have to be taken with a Pentax?
07-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #73

I would like to submit a photo that's a panorama created using Auto-Stitch. The auto-stitch loses the EXIF information, but I have those details from all the original files that were used to compile the larger image.

As long as my submission includes this information, is it acceptable?
07-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMPORTANT:

For all photos without EXIF, or those that didn't seem to match the theme, I've posted a comment asking for clarification. Please respond to that comment (in another comment,
not via PM) before the end of the day tomorrow to avoid being disqualified.
Just curious, where are these comments posted. I don't see any here.
07-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #75
Veteran Member

The comments are posted in the b & h comp submissions.
Closed Thread