Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Yellow Bird Taking Off from a Branch
Contest Number: 54 Contest Theme: Birds Lens: DA-L 55-300 @ 70mm Camera: Pentax k-x Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: wahid_satu, 02-28-2011, 08:47 AM

My submission for this month's contest, also my very first submission to PF's monthly contest. A testament to the k-x's speed and versatility of the 55-300 kit lens, this image is a composite of three pictures of the same bird taken using the high speed continuous shooting mode. The lower right corner portion where I put the image title is actually an empty part left after the stitching. I tried to crop it out but then the lower left branch would be cropped out too, leaving the bird without a starting point, reducing the impact of the picture.

Stitched using GIMP. The right stitching line should be obvious, but what about the left line? Can anybody tell me?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 2,805
03-04-2011, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, I enjoyed following the process of your photo. I am pretty new to all of this stuff so I had no idea this was a stitched photo when I looked at it in the contest. I thought it was three different birds following each other through the forest canopy. I would have cropped out the branch and left off the title portion, which is distracting. I did a quick crop myself and it did not lose impact as it is not obvious to me the birds is taking off from that branch. I would also have cropped out some of the left and give the bird in front more space in the right frame to fly into.

But, in the first place I would have been able to capture this image as it is beyond my skill level at the moment.

Great job and great stitching work. I would never have known if you had not mentioned it.
03-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Tess,

It's nice to know that you like my work. It's really not that difficult to take, though you'll need a bit of luck. The trick is to find the place where there are a lot of birds. I went to the biggest aviary in my country and searched for a place where most of them hang out for food and such. I set the k-x to Tv @ 1/1250 sec, auto ISO, Hi speed and a good focal length where it is wide enough so I can follow the bird's movement easily yet long enough so I could get enough details of the bird (settled for 70mm), and waited. I took a lot of pictures, almost all of them not good because the birds were either going away or towards me; the k-x's (and probably the lens') AF is not quick enough to get them. This yellow one was done eating and looking like it was going to fly, so i press shutter. I was right, and luckily it was flying at a right angle to me so the AF doesn't hunt. Got that three pics before it got away. I regret that I didn't take another photo of the background so I can fill the void.

Try it. It's a lot of fun, and very satisfying when you get it right. And thanks for the comment.
04-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a very nice job. Thank you for explaining how you accomplished this! I have the K-x and will have to give this a try.

• Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bird, branch, contest, image, line, stitching, submission