Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which two reviews are best?
#1 5017.86%
#2 3612.86%
#3 4817.14%
#4 6623.57%
#5 6924.64%
#6 2910.36%
#7 7526.79%
#8 4215.00%
#9 3010.71%
#10 4315.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

18-135mm Giveaway VOTING
Posted By: Adam, 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Hello everyone,

The time has come to find out who will be the winner of our 18-135mm lens giveaway! Please vote in the poll for your two favorite reviews.

Review #1

Review #2

Review #3

Review #4

Review #5

Review #6

Review #7

Review #8

Review #9

Review #10

Note: if you weren't able to participate this time around, we'll be starting up another giveaway soon- stay tuned to our homepage!

As a reminder, prizes are as follows:
1st: Pentax 18-135mm Lens
2nd: Loyal Site Supporter Status for 2 years
3rd: Site Supporter Status for 1 year

Good luck!
Views: 14,380
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #16

Excellent Reviews

Thanks to all the reviewers! As a fan of the old manual focus lens, reviews like these are especially useful when thinking about acquiring an older lens. Thanks again.

03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Inactive Account

my vote goes to #7

DA 35 macro review
03-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, reviewers, for the time and effort. Excellent information all around.
03-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #19

Hello all,

i am new at DSLR's but from I've voted the K-x review - #5! It seems more helpful for people like myself and a lot more effort was put into it.
But this is my humble opinion!

Merci

03-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
The DA 35 review for sure!!
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #21

Good reviews indeed! My favorites are 8 and 9.
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If posts here are any indication, it doesn't look good for mine. :P

I really hope people don't cheat by making fake profiles either....

03-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I really hope people don't cheat by making fake profiles either....
I agree, but there's not much anyone can do about it, except ban votes from people with no history maybe?
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I agree, but there's not much anyone can do about it, except ban votes from people with no history maybe?
I think it would depend on how votes are saved in the database. If votes are always linked to a username (it appears that way as the forum tracks if someone voted), it would not be too difficult to write a script that drops out questionable votes (say someone who registered after the voting started, someone with less than 5 postings, or multiple votes that came from the same IP address. The thing is it would be difficult to make sure he isn't excluding valid users who don't participate much on the forum or decided to register because they wanted to place a valid vote. I just commented because I see it happen often in contests I tried in the past... and the above postings about who they voted for were people who are either new users or ones with less than 15 postings.

I submitted entries to a photo contest through Facebook recently and it just turned into a popularity contest. Another contest I made a video for, the two winners of the contest were people who frequent a forum where they pool their voting power to win contests (regardless of the quality of their entries).
03-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #25
Banned

The fact is that so many people have voted that is impossible for someone to cheat! If there were 20 votes in total I would say that is very easy to cheat, but through our current voting is literally impossible... unless someone has the time for making 100 fake profiles!
But anyway I disagree with some arguments above - people have the right to join the forum just to vote in a competition...
I will bring a real life example:
My uncle was a running for a Mayor. And for all friends of friends of friends etc, who were living at our area but voted for another he took the initiative to personally take their voting cards and arrange to change their voting center. He did this for about 40 people... People that never had anything to do with politics at all and people that he didn't personally know so well! The ending result? He was selected a major with a difference of 28 people!!! Was he legal? Of course he was! Imagine what happens in presidental elections...
So my point is that the rules are: you have an email, you can register and vote! It's no ones fault if someone has a big family or friends that want to support him! Look at it at the good point of view: there are more users registered in the forum as an ending result and maybe more advertisements would come in as a result!
But as said before the good thing about our voting is that the result would be final with more than 100 votes, thus difficult to cheat!
03-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
But anyway I disagree with some arguments above - people have the right to join the forum just to vote in a competition...
Re-read my post.
03-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #27

I'm going to have to agree with sjwaldron somewhat at least. As one of the review authors I think it's inappropriate to voice ones opinion about who one voted for on the voting thread. I don't know how the moderators feel about this but I think it would be best if everyone kept their vote to themselves until after everything is tallied up. When it's all said and done I'd love to have a discussion on why one review won over another as I think it will help improve the future reviews of any authors who are thinking about submitting more reviews and those that wish to sumbit for the first time.
Though I do agree with fekish that its hard to distinguish between real users that don't post much and fake ones.
03-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As with any voting thread, please don't post about who you voted for or which reviews you liked, as that may in fact skew things.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #29
MJD

Enjoyed the reviews and appreciate the work that went into them all. As someone new to the forum and Pentax I find this information invaluable. Mind you I did own a Pentax MX many years ago. Thanks again for everyone's hard work.
03-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJD Quote
Enjoyed the reviews and appreciate the work that went into them all. As someone new to the forum and Pentax I find this information invaluable. Mind you I did own a Pentax MX many years ago. Thanks again for everyone's hard work.
At the end of the day, even if we all hope to win, a post like this makes my time spent making my review (guess which one? ) totally worth it.
Closed Thread