Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

5x Giveaway: Eye-fi 8Gb Pro X2!!
Posted By: Adam, 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Special Giveaway: 5 Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 Wireless SD Cards

I'm happy to announce our latest giveaway, sponsored by the makers of the unique Eye-fi wireless SD card. Five of these fabulous cards will be given away the the winners of this event, each at a value of $149! This event will run from 3/7/2011 through 4/7/2011.

Name:  p-X2_angle_pro-rgb.png
Views: 7634
Size:  31.5 KB

Before you enter this giveaway, please ensure that you have voted for our previous giveaway

Overview

This is a "no purchase necessary event", and any PentaxForums.com member is free to participate.

The 5 winners of this giveaway will be drawn at random. However, each participant has the opportunity to get up to 12 tickets for the drawing. Therefore, if you go above and beyond, you can improve your chances of winning! The following is the ticket breakdown:

• 3 tickets: a short paragraph about how you would use your Eye-Fi SD card or something that you've learned about the Eye-Fi card. What would it allow you to do that you can't do with your current setup? What uses would you have for it beyond those listed on the product page?
  • 9 tickets: post up to 3 Pentax accessory (preferably), camera, or lens reviews in our lens, third-party lens, camera, or accessory review databases. If you already own an eye-fi card, feel free to review it as well (it may be added to our accessory database)! Note: these won't award tickets unless you also include the short paragraph about the Eye-Fi card. Also, your reviews must be written on or after 3/7/2011.
Thus, you may submit up to 4 things for this giveaway. Each will be scored on a scale of 1-3, and this will determine the number of raffle tickets awarded:
  1. Low-quality, under 300 words (review) or under 120 words (Eye-Fi paragraph)
  2. Good review, but doesn't introduce anything new (i.e. you are echoing others' comments)
  3. Excellent review with both a personal touch and interesting content
Going by this:
  • No paragraph = 0 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and no reviews = 3 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 short reviews = 5 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 good reviews = 8 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and 3 excellent reviews = 12 tickets
  • ...and so on

General Procedure

1. Please start by reading about the eye-fi card. You may also be interested in browsing the eye-fi website.
  2. Post a reply to this thread containing your short paragraph as well as links to your 3 reviews if you chose to write them.
  3. It's as easy as that- you're all set!
In some respects, this giveaway is similar to our previous giveaway, as it also offers 5 prizes and has a review aspect. Good luck, everyone!

ALL QUESTIONS GO HERE

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVONLY POST SUBMISSIONS BELOWVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Views: 37,702
03-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #46

Eye-Fi

This sounds like a great tool for studio work. It will not be necessary to load images from the card to the computer to verify them. The screens on cameras are to small to really evaluate an image.

The description (at BH) lacks some important points, though:

Does the card support true tethering- do images show up automatically in Lightroom (or similar programs) right after they were taken- or do they still have to be loaded manually?

The description mentions it supports geo-tagging- how does this work does it have its own GPS?

How long does it take to transfer a average raw file to the computer.

03-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I sell items for raising money for the needy here in my community in the economically
oppressed state of Mi ,this would save me so much time and hassle , preventing me from
stopping my categorizing to go upload to my computer...

Please Help ! the walls are caving in on us here...
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
Being a Graphic Designer, and using my K20 for taking pictures for working jobs, I'm continually transferring images from my SD cards to my Mac desktop computer. After reading more about the Eye-Fi SD card it seems to be a perfect solution that should help my work flow. No more running back and forth with the card in hand seeing if the image are going to work. No more looking at the 3" LCD screen when the camera is on the tripod wondering if the image is properly focused. I can simply open up the images on my computer, check for focus, composition and then drop the image into my layout and see the results without juggling cards. If not I can adjust and reshoot. I really like the wireless features listed on the B&H webpage that explains all the ways that you can upload, save and share photos. I think this will be a perfect solution for a working graphic designer that produces a lot of photos used in Quark Express and Photoshop.
03-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Combine the Eye-Fi with a monopod and a wireless shutter release and you get a whole new viewpoint for your shots. Overhead shots, around corners, over fences, out windows, in crowds. Take photos in all sorts of places where you are usually physically limited. I can already think of some. Basketball game shots at rim level, wedding overhead dance shots, close ups of birds/wildlife in trees. It wouldn't be in real time/liveview but surely easier then taking the camera down and checking the lcd every time, and with an assistant it would be easy to position the camera.

03-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #50

Do you live in real time? Do you travel the globe shooting pictures any time you have a spare moment or two desperately wanting to show off where you've been and what you've been doing? Do you do cool things that you want all of your friends to know about instantly? Are you dying to show your ex how hot your new GF/BF is? Desperate to get more hits on your blog, website, or social network page? Eye-Fi SD cards let you upload photos right after you shoot them, so everyone will know what you're doing all the time. Combine that with your knack for tweeting, and your life becomes a live documentary. Live in real time with Eye-Fi!
03-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #51

As everyone knows my K7 lacks the tethering capability for instant view of the images on computer. I think this is the one that will help to partly solve the problem of the K7.
03-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #52
Forum Member

In lack of a colorful camera, I really need an orange Eye-fi card instead of my old boring black SD card. Would really spice up my black K-x

03-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #53

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wi-Fi Eye-Fi would I like one?
You bet your Eye-Fi Wi-Fi I would
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Eye-Fi is etc at trade shows and seminars. You can show-off your results on a website right-away and have the picture uploaded in almost real-time.
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #55

With Pentax K-5, I mostly take pictures of my daughter at home. When it comes to developing the RAW files later, I have to open the camera and fetch the memory card and insert it into the card reader. Move files, put the card back into the camera. An Eye-Fi card would allow me just take pictures and process them when I please without the intermediary steps I do now.

Reviews:
Cosina 19-35mm AF f3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
03-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #56

Lets Go!

So the Eye-Fi 8GB Pro x2 has lots of great features!
I know which feature that I would find I'd use the most. The endless memory, I always seem to run out of space it doesn't matter how big of card I have... I would fill that up with video. Once the Eye-Fi has uploaded the video/pics I could carry on shooting and have the items appear on my PC. Obviously at the moment without one transferring photo's from one place to another is annoying, even hazardous!

If your forgetful as much as the average person, how about when you've left a Pen Drive in someones computer, or your SD converter with the SD Card still in it. Once you've return only to notice someones removed the SD card and took your memory device! Not only do you lose the card but also the stuff on it. The Eye-Fi card is going to help so many people as you can leave it in your camera and send the photos over to your PC!

When your out and about and you usually have a couple of memory cards the Eye-Fi will come in very handy, you could pop to McDonald's or your local for lunch and free up some memory while your there. Then resume your day and have loads more free space! As the Eye-Fi comes with a Year subscription to over 10,000 WiFi hotspots! Including Hotel's and Airports. I know that this will benifit me and many other people that i know.
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Eye-Fi 8gb contest

All I can say, being new to the digital camera ( Pentax K-x) I'm pretty impressed with the features offered by the Eye-Fi. Ad Hoc, geotagging and over 4000 photos? Tethering to a Mac or PC, or even your iPad? This is new stuff to me and I can't even think of the ways I'd use it until I'd get my hands on one.

Just being able to automatically clear room when necessary, or to send it to my Mac as I shoot, or, if I have read some reviews correct, direct to photo processing apps, opens up a whole world of possibilities for the amateur and pro photographer. Sitting at the local MacDonald's and 1000's of other wi-fi spots means that transferring your shots will never have to wait until you get home.

While it is also my understanding that better technology will be available soon as far as transfer rates and camera compatibility, the Eye-Fi is an exciting product especially for those of us who are just exploring what digital photography has to offer.

gene
03-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #58
Banned

A nice card to have with you when you eagerly want to share memories with friends, co-workers. clients etc...
Do normal cards have something more than this one - certainly NO.
Does this card have something more than the regular cards - certainly YES.
So either way you see it, you will just get benefits from using the card and nothing less!
03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard about and had some interest in Eye-Fi cards for some time, but until now have not thought too deeply about it. My SD cards have served me well. However, now that I think about it more deeply, and read the previous comments, I realize that I've damaged a couple of SD cards in the process of inserting and removing them from my K100D Super, and that has raised the question, "Will I eventually damage my SD slot in the camera by the repeated use of that slot?" That prospect does not sit well with me! If I had the Eye-Fi card, there would be no more physical connection (either SD card or USB cable) necessary that could damage either the SD or USB port on my camera, thus extending the lifetime and value of my beloved equipment.

I want one!

-Joe-
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #60

I recently switched from a Canon 5D MKII, and a Canon 7D over to a Pentax 645D. The one feature I am missing with the Canon system has been tethered shooting. With the Canon system I just hooked up a USB cable directly to my latptop and photographed, as of right now the Pentax 645D does not support this. My photography falls into 2 different categories.

1) Studio shooting - I shoot portraits from my home studio. These shoots are mainly newborn babies or expecting mothers. When I shoot newborn babies the mother is always looking over my shoulder to see my shots. In the past when I was using a canon system I always had a laptop with me connected to the camera shooting tethered. With my Pentax 645D I do not have this capability. This wireless card would be very helpful. My vision is to have the parents sitting on a couch in my studio viewing the pictures as I take them.

2) Landscapes - Everyone here knows how critical focus can be when using big majestic landscapes. I plan to utilize this card in the field to check focus on my Pentax 645D. Right now I am limited to zooming in on the preview which only helps a little. With an Eye-FI card I plan to zoom 1:1 in lightroom shortly after the transfer.
Closed Thread