Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

5x Giveaway: Eye-fi 8Gb Pro X2!!
Posted By: Adam, 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Special Giveaway: 5 Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 Wireless SD Cards

I'm happy to announce our latest giveaway, sponsored by the makers of the unique Eye-fi wireless SD card. Five of these fabulous cards will be given away the the winners of this event, each at a value of $149! This event will run from 3/7/2011 through 4/7/2011.

Name:  p-X2_angle_pro-rgb.png
Views: 7634
Size:  31.5 KB

Before you enter this giveaway, please ensure that you have voted for our previous giveaway

Overview

This is a "no purchase necessary event", and any PentaxForums.com member is free to participate.

The 5 winners of this giveaway will be drawn at random. However, each participant has the opportunity to get up to 12 tickets for the drawing. Therefore, if you go above and beyond, you can improve your chances of winning! The following is the ticket breakdown:

• 3 tickets: a short paragraph about how you would use your Eye-Fi SD card or something that you've learned about the Eye-Fi card. What would it allow you to do that you can't do with your current setup? What uses would you have for it beyond those listed on the product page?
  • 9 tickets: post up to 3 Pentax accessory (preferably), camera, or lens reviews in our lens, third-party lens, camera, or accessory review databases. If you already own an eye-fi card, feel free to review it as well (it may be added to our accessory database)! Note: these won't award tickets unless you also include the short paragraph about the Eye-Fi card. Also, your reviews must be written on or after 3/7/2011.
Thus, you may submit up to 4 things for this giveaway. Each will be scored on a scale of 1-3, and this will determine the number of raffle tickets awarded:
  1. Low-quality, under 300 words (review) or under 120 words (Eye-Fi paragraph)
  2. Good review, but doesn't introduce anything new (i.e. you are echoing others' comments)
  3. Excellent review with both a personal touch and interesting content
Going by this:
  • No paragraph = 0 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and no reviews = 3 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 short reviews = 5 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 good reviews = 8 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and 3 excellent reviews = 12 tickets
  • ...and so on

General Procedure

1. Please start by reading about the eye-fi card. You may also be interested in browsing the eye-fi website.
  2. Post a reply to this thread containing your short paragraph as well as links to your 3 reviews if you chose to write them.
  3. It's as easy as that- you're all set!
In some respects, this giveaway is similar to our previous giveaway, as it also offers 5 prizes and has a review aspect. Good luck, everyone!

ALL QUESTIONS GO HERE

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVONLY POST SUBMISSIONS BELOWVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Views: 37,711
04-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Hi everyone,
I reached this post by chance because I needed something revolutionary to show my students pictures instantly. The idea is easy, take photographs or video of the experiment and in seconds is displayed.
Now the process is slow, wired camera and computer that can make everything fall with a crash. The Eye-Fi Pro X2 card seems the solution to my problems if it is compatible with my new Pentax K5. It seems incredible that so small a card allows all these choices, something unthinkable a few years ago. A great idea designers have had the Eye-Fi.
Checking product website (www.eyw.fi) I found other advantages:
- The option endless memory can be very useful to have a backup of my workflow with the computer.
- The only drawback is the price of the card.
Greetings

Last edited by Justin Allard; 04-03-2011 at 01:58 AM.
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot a lot of weddings and I have always wanted to do a display of maybe 75 images from the day sometime during the reception. The impossible thing about that is that I don't want to bring a ton of gear and I don't want to download and go through every picture that I have taken up to that point. With the Eye-Fi I would not only be able to easily transfer the pictures to my laptop without any cables I would also be able to select just the 75 pictures that I want.
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #78

Im just poor and cant afford one.
04-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #79

I'm just starting to use my new Pentax 645D. One of the limitations of this camera is the inability to shoot tethered. The Eye-fi card would let me do that. Another great use would be for the time lapse photo series that I take. I currently shoot in small jpeg mode to fit all the on the cards in the camera, but the Eye-fi would allow those images to be stored on the computer. Letting me shoot in raw and shoot longer sequences.

04-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #80
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I sometimes forget to download pictures to my computer. Once I forgot about it and accidentally deleted all photos from my memory card, luckily they weren't any important photos. This would not happen with eye-fi card. Also, I love to do time lapse photography and this would help a lot to make longer videos.
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #81
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me I would use the Eye-fi geotagging feature extensively. I do quite a bit of outdoor photography and I would thoroughly enjoy being able to place where exactly I was when I took the picture, then I could build a map of the places I have been to get them. In some cases this would help me find them again since I tend to pick a direction and then go there. I would love to revisit some of the places I have taken pictures so I can see what they look like in a different season. I also take my laptop along and it would be VERY nice to be able to empty my card upon every trip back to the car.

Another thing I do is plenty of anime convention photography. Again, being able to transfer my pictures when I head to the hotel room with little effort would be a real time saver to me. In fact after looking at what all the Eye-fi will do if I had one I doubt I would need to ever change the card in my Kx again.

One more thing it would allow me to do is to check my photos to make sure I have things set how I want them. Again, in the anime con world the lighting is normally really crappy. I am normally at a dealer booth selling anime DVDs, so most of my pictures come when someone stops by the booth. If I had this I could bring it up on my laptop and not only show the people I took the picture of their picture, but I could check my settings right away and adjust things for the very best pictures I can get under the lighting conditions in the dealer room!

My Kx review is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/73845-p...ml#post1452978
04-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too much hassle to participate

04-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #83

You can use the eye-fi on ad hoc networks

Interestingly the Eye-Fi Pro and Pro X2 can be used, not just with a wireless router or access point, but you can also use the eye-fi with an ad hoc network. Don't know what that means? Well, it means you can create a network between your wireless computer and your wi-fi with no router needed! This is great for someone in the field. I can use the eye-fi pro to connect to my macbook pro in a computer-to-computer network, sending my RAW files directly to the apple macbook. Then when you come back to do your post processing you'll be all set, ready to begin. Your workflow starts immediately with the eye-fi - getting things done better and smarter - better for the customer - better for the photographer. I can't wait to try this out and explain to the client I've already started working on their memories.

For instructions see this webpage on the Eye-Fi site: http://support.eye.fi/how-to-connect-an-eye-fi-card-to-an-ad-hoc-network/
and for setting up an ad hoc network with your computer, Windows or Mac OS X, see this PDF: http://support.eye.fi/how-to-set-up-an-ad-hoc-network/files/2009/07/Eye-Fi-a...structions.pdf
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I recently started some portrait shoots and was never 100% sure if I got the shot I wanted while chimping away on the camera. I couldn't tell if the focus was spot on, if the lighting was revealing the details the way I wanted, etc. If I had a Eye-fi card, I could have it set up on my laptop or desktop to automatically import and display, without the restrictive length of tethering via USB if I had a camera that supported it. I could see the picture on a nice big LCD and make much more calculated adjustments to the focus and the lights, making for a much better experience!
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
Veteran Member

OK. I wanted to participate.

I can see the potential use of the wireless capability of this card --- while travel, there is one less thing to worry -- you don't have to worry about card reader/cable to download your photos! I remember my card reader broken during my Hawaii trip and I have to transfer the pictures using the cable borrowing from others. I was painfully slow and windows somehow force me to rename all the filename! with this card, I can see this kind of thing will not happen again. I don't plan to use it in a fancy way, but this feature can come in handy in the situation I describe.

Good luck to everyone !
Thanks PentaxForum & Eye-Fi!

Lee
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #86

Photos: Albums
Using this card in a Pentax camera would make it a great way to easily share photos of an event almost instantly by them being posted on the web for others to view from wherever they may be. Grandparents come to mind, as some don't like to travel much.

Instantly sharing vacation photos via wi-fi web upload is great as well.

Lens Review
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-Star-50-135mm-F2.8-SDM...tml#review3617

Last edited by varnco; 04-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I visited the eye-fi at WPPI in Vegas this year. The thing that caught my attention was the app they created for my droid phone. Using the eye-fi the photographer has the ability to take the photograph and have it simultaneously upload to an online gallery no matter where you are in the world... as long as you have a data connection for your droid. As a wedding photographer I occasionally do same-day slideshows for my brides where I do a slideshow of the day during the reception. I have been considering using the eye-fi product to upload my pictures throughout the day so they were all ready to be sorted into a slideshow by the time the reception was happening.
04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #88
Veteran Member

The Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 Wireless SD Card would allow me to do more things more easily and safely. I have a MacBook Pro, but I don't bring it with me when I'm taking photos because it's just not that convenient. But if I had an Eye-Fi card, I could view photos almost instantly, allowing me to make sure I got the shot I wanted. Another novel option is if I'm using someone else's computer and I don't have my USB cord, I can still get the photos with the Eye-Fi card. It means that my photos are never captive on my camera - I can always access them. Plus, an Eye-Fi card would save wear and tear on the camera's USB connection and water-resistant door. I often find that I've left that door open without realizing it. In wet conditions, that could be disastrous. Eye-Fi might just save my camera!
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #89
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

With shooting sporting events the Eye-fi 8gb Pro X2 Wireless SD Card would give me the opportunity to expand product exposure with the ability to show pictures to potential clients almost immediately. This could eliminate the lag between the photo shoot and the sale, catching those proud parents at the moment a sale would be most possible.
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #90
JEF
Forum Member

I have been dreaming of owning a Eye-Fi card. Just to take photos, and have them immediately upload to my computer, wow. It would be fun showing the card off at our local camera club. If my camera got stollen, maybe the thieves would take pictures of themselves and it would UL them to my computer!
Closed Thread