Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Contest #57- May, 2011 (Still Life)
Posted By: Adam, 04-30-2011, 11:59 PM

The theme for the official PentaxForums.com photo contest for May, 2011 is:

Still Life
Our interpretation of the theme: Photos of inanimate objects outside of their natural settings, where the photographer creates his/her images with full control over lighting, mood, and composition. Here are some good examples of what we're looking for: http://www.thephotoargus.com/inspiration/35-superb-examples-of-still-life-photography/

There will be two prizes for the winner of this contest and of future contests: featuring in our premier gallery, as well as an upgraded account for 3 months, with added attachment space, Marketplace access, and more! As usual, please do not post your submissions in this thread; see above! Limit one photo per user. Good luck to all participants! If this is your first contest, you may be interested in reading rules and procedure below.

Contest Procedure | Contest Rules | Submit | Vote for April's Winners

We invite everyone to participate in this month's contest and also vote for last month's entries! The poll is now up (link above)!

As always:
  • One photo per user. Please post only one submission thread. Our automated system only checks the latest post within that thread, so if you are updating your entry, please do so in a reply or make an edit to your original post.
  • Photo must be between 300x300 and 1024x1024 pixels, and smaller than 1Mb
  • We prefer that your photos are submitted as attachments - they load faster, and guarantee that you're within limits

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-12-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: changed April to May
Views: 16,468
05-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Still life", one of my favorite tunes on Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind" album
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Ok can we clarify? Still Life conjures up images of fruit and dead animals sitting on tables alongside a nice merlot

Do statues count?
05-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Help!! I just tried to submit a picture but I could not find the option to upload the picture what should I do see my post but I can't upload the picture to it???

05-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Posting photos for contests is the same as posting photos in any other thread. Just embed the photo using img tags or attach it. Make sure it's 1024x1024px or smaller.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Ok can we clarify? Still Life conjures up images of fruit and dead animals sitting on tables alongside a nice merlot

Do statues count?
Still Life is a photo (or painting) of objects which the artist has arranged for example on a table.

Statues don't count unless you can move them around and arrange them on a table or other surface!
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Inactive Account

What is still life??

A definition found for this term -Still life photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still life photography is the depiction of inanimate subject matter, most typically a small grouping of objects. Still life photography, more so than other types of photography, such as landscape or portraiture, gives the photographer more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition.

Still life photography is a demanding art, one in which the photographers are expected to be able to form their work with a refined sense of lighting, coupled with compositional skills. The still life photographer makes pictures rather than takes them.

35 Superb Examples of Still Life Photography | Inspiration

Masters of Photography: Irving Penn

Irving Penn: Platinum Prints

http://www.edward-weston.com/edward_weston_natural.htm

Cara Weston Fine–Art Photography: Details, Portfolio One

File:Flowers 3 bg 052804.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crazy,
Thank you. Though I consider my self a minor hobbist in photography, I didn't really have a good grip on the Still Life definition. Having read your post, I'm good with it now.

Thanks again. You, too, Ole. Helpful
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #9

Hi...

This is my first time.. to submit a pic I'm assuming I'd create a new thread in Contest submissions.. correct?

Thanks!
05-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

My question for this contest (as it seems interesting and I may enter) is: does the photos have to be in color or can they be in B&W?
05-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by srpickel Quote
My question for this contest (as it seems interesting and I may enter) is: does the photos have to be in color or can they be in B&W?
Can be B&W, no problem!
05-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
OOOOPS !! Sorry Adam ! I guess I should have read the rules first. I thought it was for any camera. Just too enthusiastic in getting my picture in the comp.
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A rare lily found in Liechtenstein

I hope this is okay as a "Still Life".
This lily seems to be very rare.
It grows on one particular meadow in Liechtenstein.
They really look very beautiful

dear Adam. I don't know if I have posted this picture in the right thread. If not, could you please move it?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by choschiba Quote
I hope this is okay as a "Still Life".
This lily seems to be very rare.
It grows on one particular meadow in Liechtenstein.
They really look very beautiful

dear Adam. I don't know if I have posted this picture in the right thread. If not, could you please move it?
Nope, this isn't a still life. Still life photos generally require you to arrange inanimate objects on your own; i.e. they can't just be in nature.

If you'd like to submit another photo, you may do so here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/contest-submissions/

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #15

How can I check is submitted my photo or not ?

Last edited by Cyberex; 05-24-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Closed Thread