Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
thrown away
Contest Number: 57 Contest Theme: Still Life Lens: 35 mm Camera: pentax k2000 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: crazyinmaine, 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM

The items were found at an old abandoned trash dump in the woods - the still life was arranged and taken on site.

Attached Images

Last edited by crazyinmaine; 06-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Views: 1,879
06-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My son just asked why I composed this image -

I was surprised when I came across these old items in the middle of the woods - there was so much there, strewn about on the floor of the forest, forgotten. The area was quiet, with little light, devoid of the sounds from birds or nature - dead silence.

When contemplating what to photograph I wanted to create simplicity in a composition that was a combination of natural and manmade objects - where the viewer wonders if the items were just thrown on the ground or placed there for one to look at.

The selection for lighting and location was to capture the experience of the surprise discovery when I came across this abandoned place in the woods - muted, dark and somber - a forgotten place that once was vibrant and lush.

We are at a point in time in society where we quickly dispose of things no longer considered useful, purposeful or beautiful - in locations that are deemed unnecessary and out of the way.